TommyL

Unimog or Mindstorms for next purchase?

Let me just say I love my excavator, it was a great time to build it and I even enjoy running it around. I have the parts ordered for the Ultimate 8043 and will start that when they come in. I initially thought I wanted the Unimog but lately i have been thinking the Mindstorm set would be a better purchase for the amount of possibilities and future enjoyment. I haven't seen much here on the forum about it but wanted to get a few opinions about the sets and how they compare (probably apples and oranges) but I'd thought I'd ask any way.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Tom

I would wait with mindstorms until next year. Something better might come.

So, buy Unimog. Its great set with LOTS of parts.

Let me just say I love my excavator, it was a great time to build it and I even enjoy running it around. I have the parts ordered for the Ultimate 8043 and will start that when they come in. I initially thought I wanted the Unimog but lately i have been thinking the Mindstorm set would be a better purchase for the amount of possibilities and future enjoyment. I haven't seen much here on the forum about it but wanted to get a few opinions about the sets and how they compare (probably apples and oranges) but I'd thought I'd ask any way.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Tom

Hi Tom, welcome to EB!

It really depends on what you want to do with it. Mindstorms opens up an entirely new realm of possibilities. If you are into robotics, programming, etc, I would highly recommend you buy the Mindstorms set! The possibilities are endless.

The Unimog is a great set, but it is indeed hard to compare any set with Mindstorms.

The 8043 is an awesome set since it's entirely remote controlled and has great functions. Mindstorms takes remotely controlled vehicles or robots to the next level and the Unimog doesn't....in my humble opinion.

Since you really like the 8043, I would go for Mindstorms :thumbup:

I would wait with mindstorms until next year. Something better might come.

So, buy Unimog. Its great set with LOTS of parts.

That's a valid remark. There are some rumors about a new Mindstorms set.

So depending on your budget and your eagerness to start working with robotics, you might want to wait a bit.

Please do not open a new topic any time you need advice on your next purchase, people. Use this topic instead. :classic:

Again, I'm closing this one now.