DoubleT

2007 Summer City pics

As I said in the other section:

Seaport:

The first thing I notice is that the standard platform baseplates have been replaced with road plates from the old 6600 kit... that's to bad...

The biggest change is the 6wide vs 4 wide containers, this is a bummer for any one who has any of the old container crane kits, TTX intermodal cars, mearsk container truck, I suppose one can mod the ship to accept 3X 4wide vs 2X 6wide...

The crane is also more of a general purpose crane as opposed to a container crane...

I guess if the price is right it might be worth modding it to old standards....

I will pick up 2 when the come out but will have to see about the container crane I already have a MOC of 4549 and prefer the container clamp on that kit rather then a simple hook.

The Trucks look realistic and will definitely be part of my city...

The service station looks like a nice cross between the Octan and Shell station of the past couple years...

Nice black motorcycle with the station

Thanks for the pics...

It looks like the sea port uses the road plateedges as tracks for the crane to move on.

great sets! especially the round 6x6 brick in the cement mixer! gotta have that... at least a few times...

In looking at the final picture something else I have notice on the mobile container crane...

No Winch... like the old one... the arm simply lifts up and down.... yuck

The dock has a customs office like the old one... thats nice

and the mobile container crane has new rims...

The ships cargo hold seems to be a definitly 12 studs wide... so here goes the 3X 4 stud conatiner mod

Look at the control room for the ship, on the roof there seems to be a new part, round like a fig head looks like a mini radar dome...

The Container Transporter I must have, for the green.

An innacuracy though is, that it has a hook on the end of the arm, while I belive the real ones are supposed to have a large claw that actually grabs onto containers. Easy enough to mod...

Notice that the front wheels are doubled, theres a couple ways to do that, i wonder which one they chose...

Edit: zooming in on pics... it would seem that they are using the new version of that wheel, with an axlehole instead of a connector pin hole. Thus the front wheels are probably just stuck on a long technic rod... that goes all the way through the body; meaning ... bad play action when it comes to 'steering'; also easy enough to mod...

That harbor looks great. I'll definately have to snag that one as my first town purchase in several years.

Steve

What i like most are the small details on the sets:

Lavatory at the firestation, the angler and the small gate (including a traffic light) at the port, the stuff to clean your car at the fuel station and so on.

It seems that TLC gets back to their old strengths. Very nice to see... :'-)

They look great! *wub*

But weren't the containers supposed to be one mold? Ooo, the gas station has a car wash too, I wonder if the garbage truck actually comes with all those 1x1 bricks, and are the peices in the cement mixer tank new?

The blue on the cement mixer tank looks like one huge peice and the dark gray round thing connecting is the existing 4x4 round brick. It looks very un-legoish.

Lavatory at the firestation, the angler and the small gate (including a traffic light) at the port, the stuff to clean your car at the fuel station and so on.

It seems that TLC gets back to their old strengths. Very nice to see... :'-)

There isnt a Lavatory at the fire station.

Excellent! Now City is really getting into the old spirit of clasic town! We haven't had any of these buildings or vehicles in years (4J and City Center don't count), and the container transport is brand new! In-depth review, coming up:

Cement Mixer: Beautiful design! I do wonder why 2 of the eight mud guards are white, but it still looks awesome! Nice to finally see 6x6 round bricks, also. *y*

Gas Station: I actually didn't expect this to look like this, but now that I see it, I am so glad they made it this way. It's totally retro! *sweet* Nice vehicles and figs (there could be four total), and there is so much detail! (price sign, soda racks, vending machine, nice gas pumps, lots of tools, car wash sign, even some flowers and flags! *y* ). I think my favorite detail is the way they did the sun pannels on the top. Very clever! ;-)

Garbage Truck: Orange galore! *y* And a beautiful design overall, especially the front! I'm sure the garbage holder lifts up, and if the set includes all those 1x1's, even better! ;-)

Container Transport: Green! Lots of green! And once again the model is super! Best of all, the containers are made of regular bricks instead of being pre-molded like we thought! *sweet*

Seaport: Oh man, so great! You get a nice boat, a crane, a beautiful transport truck, 5-6 figures, and a whopping SEVEN containers! I really wish I could get this one, but sadly I don't think it wll happen. :-(

Man, 2007 is the best CITY year yet! TLC just keeps loading awesome kits into this year, in basiciy every theme! I really can't wait until my Birthday in January.... *sweet*

It seems that TLC gets back to their old strengths. Very nice to see...

I totally concur. CITY's best strength is the amazing ammount of detail each kit has. Really thought out, and yes, REALLY nice to see. ;-)

What else I like is the design of the pictures. The sets are combined with other sets to make very nice diorama scenes, much like the catalogs of old. A great step foward or is that backwards? How about a step in the right direction.

Steve

The sets are combined with other sets to make very nice diorama scenes, much like the catalogs of old. A great step foward or is that backwards?

Definetley a step foward! X-D Yes, the dioramas are very cool. Lego must have devoted a lot of time to making everything look polished and bricky! That Construction scene is REALLY awesome. *y*

Very good! :-)

I've noticed that in 2007 there are not oversized sets, useless in a layout, such as the bridge transport or the mobile crane. They are all sets that fit into a standard layout (except for the containers... but that's not a big problem). 6 studs for the trucks and 4 for normal cars, that's a good scale... (although I prefer small wheels for normal cars)

Some more steps for 2008 would be:

1) more civilian sets, e.g. a house with interior details and a car, like in 80s!!

2) integrate Racers into City, i.e. race cars with minifigs!!

Excellent! Now City is really getting into the old spirit of clasic town! We haven't had any of these buildings or vehicles in years (4J and City Center don't count), and the container transport is brand new!

I thought 4J was one of our beloved members, not a set?!? 8-|

What else I like is the design of the pictures. The sets are combined with other sets to make very nice diorama scenes, much like the catalogs of old. A great step foward or is that backwards? How about a step in the right direction.

Steve

X-D *y* Wise words.

Indeed, I couldn't agree more.

I thought 4J was one of our beloved members, not a set?!?

4J was a townish Jack Stone theme that went for one year: 2004. It's long gone, now, and good ridiance. Nuff said. ;-)