• 1 - Poor

Pirates Kraken Attackin'

Set #: 6240

Theme: Pirates 2009

Year Released: 2008

Piece Count: 78

Minifigs: 2

List Price: $10 (USD)

From the depths of a dark bottomless sea, the creature's thick tentacles lunge toward the makeshift raft. The two-man crew grab their swords and gun before shooting one round at the mighty beast. Its murky white eyes blink momentarily before one of its tentacles wrap around the small treasure crate. Two of the large gems that the pirates managed to rescue from the sinking ship flies into the rough ocean! Will the crew escape the revenge of the kracken or will they be the next to sink to Davey Jones' Locker?

I was so excited today when I visited my local Toys R Us store discovering a few of the new Pirate sets on the store shelf. I couldn't wait to bring the sets home and do a few new Pirate reviews, starting with this small set, 6240 Kracken Attackin'.

The new boxart looks nice with a blue daytime ocean and island and clouds in the background. These new sets offer no sunsets like those from the bygone Pirate theme.

Here's a few pictures of the box:

01box1.jpg Front

02box2.jpg Back

The artwork on the back of the box is nicely done and features a picture of the large pirate set, 6243.

Here's a close-up of the boxart on the back of the box:

03art.jpg

The same image on the front of the box appears on the instructions:

04instruct.jpg

Included within the instructions is a small one-page comic. I actually like these and think that they are great for smaller kids:

05comic.jpg

The new pirates are awesome with detailed front and back torsos, as shared in Lego12's previous reviews. This set includes two pirates. I esp. like the face of the pirate on the right:

06figs1.jpg

Here's a shot of the back of their torsos. Great detail!

07figs2.jpg

The set includes two cutlasses, a rifle, telescope, 2 gems, and an extra hook-piece used to hold the paddle:

08access.jpg

For those of you who remember the Divers theme, you'll recognize the Kracken as an octopus, but in new maroon color:

09krack.jpg

I really like the clever design and colors of the raft:

10raft.jpg

On one corner of the raft is a little stand for the new parrot. I love the new two-tone color giving it a real tropical look:

11parott.jpg

The raft is actually made by combining two base sections with technic pieces on each side:

12raft2.jpg

Tan pieces in the middle provide the stud-on-top platform for the figs to stand on, and to connect the mast:

13raft3.jpg

Here's a shot of the complete raft as the Kracken attacks:

14set1.jpg

And lastly, the complete set:

15set2.jpg

Final Thoughts

Kracken Attackin' is a great starter set for the new Pirate theme. It's the first set that I opened, and I'm very satisfied with the contents and design of the set. I love the new pirates with their nicely detailed torsos and it's great to see the return of the tricorner hat. The design of the raft is very nice, and the mast makes a nice addition. I don't mind seeing this as opposed to some makeshift sails. The Kracken in a new color works perfectly, and I'm glad Lego did not attempt to make a brick-built creature like the Viking sets; although I must admit that I probably would have preferred a new shark. I give this set a mid-level five based on its playability, two figs + accessories, octopus, and nicely designed raft. Hope you enjoy this review!

PS. I may even watch Pirates of the Caribbean tonight!

I rated this set as average. Only two minifigs and a measly 78 piece count. Just seems more of an $8 set than a $10 set.

Edited by dj2005

Very nice review. I like the design of the raft. The minifigures are cool too. I just really don't like the size of the Kraken. The first parrots look better in my opinion than the new ones.

I rated this set as average. Only two minifigs and a measly 78 piece count. Just seems more of an $8 set than a $10 set.

What are you comparing this set to? How many figs would you expect in a set that's less than $10? So you rated it as average based on a $2 price difference?

Very nice review. I like the design of the raft. The minifigures are cool too. I just really don't like the size of the Kraken. The first parrots look better in my opinion than the new ones.

Thanks Paul. I agree with you re. the Kraken, but I really like the two color Parrot.

If that Kraken attacked Jack Sparrow, the second movie would have ended way differently. But, I do like the new parrot! And the new pirates are amazing.

The awesome figs and accessories make this set a winner in my book. And while the piece count/price ratio may be low, I think pieces are an excellent selection. I definitely see myself getting multiples of this set.

Thanks for the review TheBrickster! I quite like the look of this set, the brown and tan are very useful. The figs of course are wonderful, but I am disappointed a lot by the octopus. In the prelim pictures it was trans red, and looked much better. Oh well, I still might get it, thanks for the review again!

Batbrick Away! :pir-devil:

Another awesome Pirates set. Love it! :laugh: The parrot is very cool, and the raft sports a very nifty design. Needless to say the minifigs are just magnificent. :thumbup: Thanks for the review, TheBrickster!

~Peace

A nice set I quite like the 'Kraken' but I disagree with you on the brick built issue I think the brick built creatures in the Aquaraiderssets would inhance this one. Regardless I look forward to getting my hands on this set though I have no idea when I will be able to.

I need this set. NOW!

I'm a fan of old pirate rafts, and a good one is hard to come by, so this set is my heaven!

Guys, if any of you bought multiples or live near a stocker, please put one on BrickLink! I can't wait for 2009!

It's too far away!!!

~A.S.

Another awsome review by the brick-man(like my new nickname i dont know why I gave it to you :pir_wacko: )

I really like the new red octopussykraken! :pir-cry_happy::thumbup::pir-wub: Also the new connon and it's colour is great :cannon:

Thanks for the review!

I like the old parrot better too, since this new one's colors looks kind of smeared, but it's a nice variation nevertheless (I have enough of the old parrots already).

I also like the idea of an octopus attack rather than the more clichéd shark attack. The raft has a very interesting construction, some might even call it *gasp* SNOT. :tongue:

What I feel the new pirate minifigs lack are proper, rugged, menacing faces. The new face in this set is a step in the right direction, but most of the other minifigs just use faces from the Castle theme, and they aren't quite eye-patchy enough. But at least the pirate woman that comes in the Shipwreck Island set has an eyepatch and a crooked smile! I'm so waiting to get my hands on that minifig.

A good review, in any case! :thumbup:

This set reminds me of an abandoned castaway raft, wandering in the open sea. The raft design is done in a nice manner. It looks sturdy to me. More pirate crew for us, and a octopus in the aquatic addition. I am not really fond of the octopus. I will prefer the shark older version, which could offer more higher playability as we could throw the pirate into the mouth of the shark. However, the octopus is a newer addition to aquatic foes.

The new parrot certainly looks bright, compared with its older version. I will like to place all my parrots together and introduced this new member. :pir_laugh2: This is a nice looking set and I enjoyed viewing these pictures. Can't wait to see these sets arrived in local shops. Thanks for doing this review. :thumbup:

Isn't this belongs to Pirates 2009? :pir-tongue:

Great review! I like it that they gave us a very nice and colorful parrot and the telescope! :pir-skull:

Thanks for that fine review, TheBrickster. :pir-sweet:

A wonderful little set, pretty charming and that raft´s really well designed!

The new parrot looks great too, and the MFs´re neat, although I wish we could

get some more different pirate torso designs... and more new and a little more special heads too,

perhaps, like Sandy said... :pir-cry_happy:

Excellent job, this review confirms all that I suspected about the new line and I'm pleased to see it.

Figure quality is up from the originals including back printing, new accessories like the telescope, the current colour range, decent but not overdone design qualities. I'm pleased.

Personally, I wouldn't want the 'kraken' to be any larger, as I think the whole concept is stupid, but it's a logical choice for LEGO to take, and they did so without wasting a lot of time and effort on something bigger that would have just been more of a waste to me. As it stands, a dark red octopus is just fine by me.

The new parrots are, well, new. I don't mind new, I have enough of the old ones to stock a whole island, 3 jungles and a pet shop. I have the old printed ones, plain red, medium blue, pink, medium green, yellow, bley, grey, brown... are there any I'm missing? Whatever the case, I like birds in my scenes and have been known to use them in stories. I'm quite happy to get something different to mix in, and I'm sure I'll be talking as adding one of them shortly. :pir_laugh2:

I really am excited by this line, I need to get out and pick some up. :pir_bawling:

I'm glad that Lego got smart and instead of making this theme all about sea monsters like the Vikings theme (which would have been a lot cooler if they had things to fight besides animals), they made it more like the old theme.

thanks a lot for this really nice review^^ I love the new parrot , and this raft is just very cool , I rated this set awesome!

Great review! ...I love that parrot! great idea. I hope this is a new trend... multi colors 'in the plastic' of traditional pieces.

...No stickers is another bonus! Stickers are so BAD, and not very 'lego' at all.

The new parrots are, well, new. I don't mind new, I have enough of the old ones to stock a whole island, 3 jungles and a pet shop. I have the old printed ones, plain red, medium blue, pink, medium green, yellow, bley, grey, brown... are there any I'm missing? Whatever the case, I like birds in my scenes and have been known to use them in stories. I'm quite happy to get something different to mix in, and I'm sure I'll be talking as adding one of them shortly. :pir_laugh2:

The good old EBRP days. :pir-blush: I wanted to mention this earlier, saying that you will have good use to your parrots collection or Sandy's Bird collections too. :pir-tongue:

Though I like the design of the set, I completely agree with this statement.

Great review! I'm going to buy all sets of Pirates in 2009, I can't wait..it comes here in my country in January-March..and I get them for my birthday in May..so a longer wait than normal!! :pir_bawling:

Ah well, I will survive it.

*A few seconds later*

AHHHHHHHH I'M ROTTING AWAY!!! HELP ME!!!! I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER!! GIVE THEM NOW! NOW NOW NOW!!!! AHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I'M DYINGGGGGG AHHHH!!!!!

:pir_laugh2: ..

Isn't this belongs to Pirates 2009? :pir-tongue:

Yes it should be listed as 2009. In the same way as books are dated for publication and copyright as 2009 even if they are printed and start appearing in stores in 2008 or automobiles are legally 2009 vehicles even if built and actually sold in 2008. These are officially 2009 sets.

Again, Great Review Brickster!

I really like the color of this new octopus. The trans color in the preliminary pictures would have looked more "monster'ish" but this color looks much more like a real sea creature, and will look good next to my older grey octopi.

As for the parrot, is the coloring painted on, or molded in?

Perhaps nostalgically, I prefer the older painted parrot, but if it is molded color, then I would consider this new bird to be an improvement in terms of the durability of colors that can't "wear off"