Sign in to follow this  
sweetsha

[REVIEW] Ninjago | 70593 - The green NRG dragon

Name: 70593 - The green NRG dragon

Theme: Ninjago

Year: 2016

Pieces: 567

Price: 54,99€

Hi everyone, each Ninjago wave comes with at least one dragon and I'm always a big fan of these sets. We had very good ones and average ones, let's see what we have with this brand new green dragon.

Box / Pieces

As always we can see the play features on the box but let's be honest - the dragon steals the show :)

27573223376_fcbbf022e5.jpg27330121980_47d13ca409.jpg

Two instruction booklets, one for the little tower and catapult + one for the dragon. It comes also with a little sheet for stickers.

26998239043_db0b84ae0c.jpg

We have a lot of green parts (green, dark green + some lime and trans-green) and those wonderful wings with one green scaled side and one golden scaled and mirored side.

27330369640_fc51083bc5.jpg

Regarding new parts or the ones with new color here are some I noticed :

27607390895_70151d61ca.jpg

The one that I find interesting :

-green bull hors

-black bigfig arms

-black chima paw

-the lantern piece

-green corner plates 1X2 / 2X2 (not new but not common, first time in this color for me)

-brown carrot tp (same here, not new but not very common if you don't buy Friends/Princess/Elves sets)

-white claws

-bull skull (not new but alwyas welcomed)

Note - I forgot this one but there is also one (and only one unfortunately) black inverted bow part :

27507159882_355a9cf7f4_t.jpg

Minifigs

Nothing really new here if you already have Skybound sets from previous wave except that our ninjas come here with their hair instead of their hoods.

One sad point is that all 3 pirates have the same torso :(

Lloyd - Single expression and his usual haircut. If you compare with the deepstone armors, it is good to see some color back (well at least in my opinion ^^)

26997331393_d924b3f205.jpg

Cole - Well the poor lad doesn't look better, he's still a ghost ^^ Love his dual expressions, very show accurate.

27329422430_1a638a838f.jpg

Doubloon - A bit different than the one with the zeppelin, he has now some battle shoulder pads. Still his dual head that represents his happy/angry face that his the same one upside down, clever.

27533496721_e1781185a7.jpg

Cyren - Same as before, with her dual face. Funny to see how fast this haircut appeared everywhere since Black Widow.

26997327213_ba268a46de.jpg

Bucko - The same old Bucko that we have in many sets. I don't know why but he's my favorite, there is something funny seeing the pirate captain's head here.

27507153752_af1cf3d618.jpg

And here they are all armed - with the famous blade that captures the souls.

27533495211_8d6f75e291.jpg

The build

Well, I will not say much about the tower and catapult, let's say that there must be something in the box to fight the dragon even if I'm not sure the battle is balanced.

27507156652_35d91f6b16_o.jpg

And ... here it is, the green dragon :classic:

27507162132_afc461e794_o.jpg

Quite impressive due to the wings, with a lovely color combination. The different shades of green are well combined and there are some clever parts usage like the use of bigfig arms.

The head is as often the best part :

27329424380_172654dd70_o.jpg

Not easy to have a detailed head with this side (only one brick large at the beginning of the build) but this one is really a success.

Now let's speak about the wings, the patterns are gorgeous and as it is mentioned on the box the wings can fold/unfold. Well I'm not 100% conviced about this last point due to the material used (somehow similar to the one used for capes), I didn't tried too hard but I fear that after lots of floding/unfolding cracks could appear but it is only how I feal about it, if someone has experienced it in a more intense play I'll glad to here it :)

Folded:

27507158612_8077dcc7c5_z.jpg

Unfolded:

27507152842_de4d0de94c.jpg

And a quick look at the mirored side of the wing:

27329423590_0cccd74820.jpg

To sum up, a good dragon (again) - I almost forgot to mention that guess what you can find at the end of the double tail ? Yes .. stud launchers :sceptic: Strange place for those ones, really not necessary.

Remaining parts

27533496281_e0e3c2ce02.jpg

An extra green horn is always welcomed and also an extra can tile (yes I forgot but there is an can in Lloyd's bag, seems that riding dragons makes you thirsty ^^)

Opinion

Another dragon ... another beauty :classic: The build is always different with each one, especially with the head that is really lovely.

The color suits it well, it is now Lloyd's turn to ride one and it is fortunate as green is a good choice for a dragon.

The minifigures are interesting if you did not have them from previous Skybound sets and you have the classic small build with something to protect (here a small barrel with two gold round tiles :sceptic:) and the usual something to fight the dragon with the catapult.

The dragon is very playable, the only point I'm afraid of is the material used for the wings, let's hope it will not be too fragile to be folded/unfolded a hundred times.

And here is the traditionnal scene with everything in situation to conclude :

27572593106_1fe9e04c69.jpg

Edited by sweetsha

Good review, but there are, a lot of interesting pieces and design choices that were used in this set. It would have been interesting to cover those.

Like how the bigfig arms represent shoulders, and the jade blades on it's face.

At first I wasn't really feeling the brick built heads, but now I realize how much more expressive they can be, if done right. It would be kind of cool if we got a brick built version of the dragon heads in 2011, lol.

Edited by gamejutzu

I was already sure of my purchase when I saw the official images and I've held off reading/viewing reviews to avoid the spoiling of my building experience. That's why I'm checking this out so late. Anyway, thanks for your review! :classic::thumbup: