I am stuck.

I'm trying to make an amusement park ride, but I can't figure out how to do something...

A horizontal turntable to rotate the whole ride above the platform, driven by an M-motor to a worm screw/gear combo forms the base of the ride.

A shaft through the center of the turntable drives a sliding worm gear that climbs a rack gear affixed to the inside of the rotating structure.

That all works fine.

How can I get power/rotation from that rotating center shaft out to the rising platform? I had originally considered the red 8T gear to slide freely up the shaft to drive a chain out from the center, but the LEGO chains don't/can't engage 8T gears, so that's out. (and a waste of 200 links bought on BL)

My next idea was to use that central worm gear to drive a gear on a horizontally mounted axle, but I'm 99% certain that I won't be able to get enough torque and speed to drive 4 rotating elements at a realistic speed while the worm climbs at a realistic rate.

That's why I want to use that rotating axle the 'normal' way... But I just can't seem to figure out how to do it.

Once I can get torque out of the central shaft, I can transfer it to the ends of the arms, no problem...

P1010106_zps93ffb204.jpg

P1010103_zps6ca78200.jpg

P1010104_zps4e05935f.jpg

P1010105_zps73c9bedc.jpg

Edited by rollermonkey

Not sure if I understand correctly, but why do you need change to drive the red 8T gear? Isn't it possible to use a second axle all the way to the top to drive the 8T gear?

Can you add a second axle that is parallel to the first axis? With two 16T gears at the top of the construction to drive it. Then use the red 8T sliding gear at the moving platform to get the rotation onto the platform. From there bring it to where ever you want.

Succes

You can drive two functions through a turntable as it was made in 8043. Then you can have a second shaft going up that drives your gondolas.

Three times the same answer.....it must be the right one :tongue:

The 8043 solution (using transmission rings) won't work because the destination for that power is moving up (and down) as the whole ride is rotating via the turntable. The transmission ring would stop spinning as soon as the ride carriage begins to rise.

In real rides, hydraulics usually does all this stuff, but pneumatics >< hydraulics.

Jim and Jeroen, you suggest a second axle, parallel to the driving axle and powered by meshed 16T gears at the top... Then driving another gear fixed to the rising platform by means of a red 8T sliding up the second shaft...

I think that might work... In fact, I might try two, one one either side, so I can power two arms from each side...

I'll have to change how I've got the central axle anchored on the top and the parallel axle length may have to be customized, as the central is 32L and the others would need to be shorter or they'll stick out the top. (That could work as spinning decorations atop the tower aren't unheard of) I'll need to change the whole top, actually. The 5X7 frame won't work as the holes aren't lined up right, but I'll come up with something.

I wonder if I have a third 32L axle... 42009 has one, I think.

I wonder if I have a third 32L axle... 42009 has one, I think.

Some people got a spare 32L in the 42009 (I didn't).

The 8043 solution (using transmission rings) won't work because the destination for that power is moving up (and down) as the whole ride is rotating via the turntable. The transmission ring would stop spinning as soon as the ride carriage begins to rise.

Why should it stop spinning? That makes no sense.

You may even be able to drive your parallel axles with 8t gears engaging with the inner ring of the turntable.

Also, don't rue the chain links you bought - they have a tendency to come in handy.

Owen.

I would use a sliding red 8t gear on the center axle, then use gears to go out to the sides. Only problem with this is that the red 8t gear would probably contact the racks, but that can be solved by moving the rack away from the worm gear and using another 8t gear between the rack and worm gear.

I think you can still use the red 8t on the central axle - this red gear should then drive a couple of normal 8t gears that are attached on the rising platforms - you'll need as much of those in each direction to get out of the rising shaft. The last 8t gear should have a 24t on its axle and that 24t gear should drive the chain - i believe it is doable, theory certainly works. You can gear up the last 8t gear on each arm even more...

Yes, that is the suggestion that should work, but I think putting the gears between the inner and outer shaft at the top will be less complex (no transmission rings that generate slop) and allow better structural connections at the base of the rotating tower.

This must be what Balrog had in mind, I just couldn't picture it how he intended.

Thanks!

slidingplatformthing.png

This is what I think people mean to explain. Blue is the platform.

Thank you Eric. Exactly what I meant.

I would use a sliding red 8t gear on the center axle, then use gears to go out to the sides. Only problem with this is that the red 8t gear would probably contact the racks, but that can be solved by moving the rack away from the worm gear and using another 8t gear between the rack and worm gear.

This solution is good and simple.