Sign in to follow this  
SirBlake

[MOC] Expanding the MMV

Here are a couple of shops I built to compliment the Medieval Market Villiage. Parts limitations were a factor, but I wasn't going to cannibalize the set for these add-ons. I'd did force some creative problem solving and now the only part I wish I had was the big arch in sand green on the second floor of the first one up...

The Magic Shop:

image_zps9cn2n5us.jpeg

image_zpspdx4dqro.jpeg

image_zpsjfh10o1a.jpeg

The Armorer:

image_zps8mfthgmh.jpeg

image_zps8stvgtzp.jpeg

image_zps1opu5fe6.jpeg

And here they are in context:

image_zpscbxi9wcj.jpeg

Edited by SirBlake

I like these a lot. They fit in really nicely with the MMV, and compliment it well. The style used is very similar, which makes them feel like real LEGO sets. I understand your frustrations with color issues, but you've found some good solutions. Overall, the builds are really nice, and have a lot of nice details to them. I love the Magic Shop, with the brooms, hats, potions, and books. The use of the iron bars in the Armorer's Shop is a nice touch, as well.

Nice work!

Thank you sir! I must admit, building out the interiors is one of the best parts. It's just so much fun.

Great work! I liked them both, they fit MMV very well. For some reason, Magic Shop reminds me of Legend of Zelda games. Bars on the Armor Shop is a nice detail too! However, I think placing the lion carving for the Armor Shop and magic scroll sign for the Magic Shop right above the doors might give them a more shop-like look.

Very nice! They both fit well with the official sets. Now you just gotta make a landscape for them to rest on!

The interior on these is particularly good. I think some more texturing on the upper stories walls would really improve them though. At the moment they look a bit flat.

Overall, good job.

Thanks for the feedback!

The interior on these is particularly good. I think some more texturing on the upper stories walls would really improve them though. At the moment they look a bit flat.

I agree with you on that. I need more Windows so I can add similar detailing to the MMV buildings.

However, I think placing the lion carving for the Armor Shop and magic scroll sign for the Magic Shop right above the doors might give them a more shop-like look.

Great point. I decided to do a little modding based on this feedback. Thoughts?

image_zps7rvmvxb4.jpeg

Very nice! They both fit well with the official sets. Now you just gotta make a landscape for them to rest on!

I had considered that. Maybe that's the next step.

Edited by SirBlake

Thanks for the feedback!

I agree with you on that. I need more Windows so I can add similar detailing to the MMV buildings.

Much better! Some sand green 1 x 2 masonry profile bricks would work really well if you added a few into the sand green part of the building.

Much better! Some sand green 1 x 2 masonry profile bricks would work really well if you added a few into the sand green part of the building.

That would be great. I didn't know they were even made in that color.

You are off to a solid start. I'd to add more detailing (or castle greebling, if you will). On the official models there is hardly any uninterrupted color bricks. The magic shop upper right, however, is pretty dull. Maybe a protruding window, would help? Similar problem on the other building too.

Its a hard line to walk, too far on the one side you'll get a pretty flat wall, on the other you'll get a busy mess.

Steve

Thanks for the feedback!

image_zps7rvmvxb4.jpeg

Much better! Giving Magic Shop a sign like Tavern, Blacksmith and Stables of the original set is better. And crossed axes on the Armor Shop definitely looks much better than placing the lion carving right above the door! Tarot cards as decoration is alsoa nice touch. I'd say, your Magic Shop officially works as a fortune teller too! :laugh:

Good additions. Perhaps the light bley arch on the magic shop could be replaced a reddish brown alternative? That may make it a bit more consistent.