Sign in to follow this  
lightningtiger

Modular Gas Station

Well after finishing the hardware store I thought I would build something else......here is a w-i-p shot......keep watching !

modular_gas_station_99.jpg

I really like the simplicity of this, excellent work!

Thanks 'TMJ28', I based it in part on early Texaco gas stations.....a lot of time spent researching into it in the last two days.

8412719132_dfd74a326c_z.jpg

I only have some interior and pavement work plus a minifig to go inside......so keep watching ! :wink:

Edited by lightningtiger

Awesome! Do you think that you may put a "Texaco" Sign out front?

Octan......as long as I can make an Art Deco style Octan letters......I was think of a fancy billboard advertising Octan Oil.....still working on it.

Keep watching ! :wink:

awesome work LT...reminds me of the L.A. Noire game I played a while back. Be really nice with a gangster style car in the lot too

Octan......as long as I can make an Art Deco style Octan letters......I was think of a fancy billboard advertising Octan Oil.....still working on it.

Cant wait to see it!!

The gas station is very fine - but now the hardware store guy has to live next to a gas station?

The combination of red and white gives the gas station a kind of retro lego look (like the stuff they put out in the seventies).

Thanks everyone for the great feedback, now I should have the main build done today.....only the signage to be built, I best get LDD up and running now so I can start work on it.

Silly me, I had an art deco gas station sign from last year so why not use it again but make it rotatable.

modular_gas_station_94.jpg

In this shot, Fonzie the gas station owner is fueling up Chuck Studs motorcycle......Chuck is Candy's older brother and is not aware of Alf's business dealings !

Lyal is checking the gas station for hidden candy stocks, Elliot is being a lookout for Alf, but he is busy inside his office.

Candy is trying to catch up with her brother without Alf finding out.

Keep watching both this and hardware store topics for any changes plus added storylines.

It looks very nice, LT. Can't wait to see interior (as usual) and the art deco lettering. I like the gasoline stands and lamps are red. It really makes it stand out.

Thanks 'Iaka' and 'SalvoBrick' for your kind words, now interior is a little on the bare side on the inside......I need to find out what was sold in these 80+ years ago.

I fixed the interior this morning and had a thought.....what if I prepared this for some power functions ?

modular_gas_station_90.jpgmodular_gas_station_91.jpg

I'll have to get a PF kit so I can make the sign turn......though I think I'll need to do some electronic trickery to make sure it doesn't spin out of control ! :blush:

Edit - I wonder if that black part is available in white......might have to look up Bricklink.

Edited by lightningtiger

I have two questions for everyone.......one is what's the easiest way to control PF motors and the second what modular should I MOC next plus direction for the story unfolding ?

Edited by lightningtiger

This is really "getting better all the time" !

Thanks, now I'm planning a garage for Fonzie to work at as well.......I'm going to try to do my take on this.

tumblr_lksdnlSysV1qzuuyxo1_1280.jpg

So keep watching ! :wink:

Very stylish, I love it! :thumbup: Funny, but the first thing I thought was: "PowerFunctions", not for the sign but PF LEDs for that beautiful lamp. But making the sign spin is even a better idea - we definitely need more action and movement in our Lego cities. Probably a Technic worm gear in combination with a large gear helps to get a slow spin of the sign, though I haven't tried something like this yet (I surely will, of course).

Would love to have this in the Flickr Lego Gas Stations Group btw., is there a Flickr account, too?

Thanks 'ER0L' and here's the link to my new flickr page......https://www.flickr.c...s/75393647@N02/

I have tried to work out the gearing for the sign but it's not going to be easy.....might need some advice from a Technic designer.

I'm tossing up between doing the garage next or another shop.....I might even scratch build the PS Pet Shop itself.......have a row of shops, etc.,.. keep watching ! :wink:

Edit I feel silly......I already had a MOC there from years ago......ooops......I'll fix it now.....done using old link again

Edit no. 2 I hate flickr...........back to a new flickr page........forget the other one 'ER0L'.......https://www.flickr.com/photos/129193098@N02/

Edited by lightningtiger

I've invited the main pic, you may change it anytime when the MOC is finished.

Here a quick solution to make the sign spin. Very simple, but with this combination (XL motor + 9V battery box) it spins quite slowly:

15812695739_6080e023a1.jpg

Thanks 'ER0L' for your idea.....I was thinking of placing a gear under the sign itself......appears no speed reduction electronics required so I might hit LDD and start planning it this morning.

And thanks 'Hoexbroe' for your kind words too.

Now I'm also planning a menswear store.....I'll call it just that because if I use Haberdasher those in the U.K. will think buttons, thread and knitting needles ! :laugh:

Keep watching......oh, don't worry the garage is still coming too.......I've been bitten by the modular MOC building bug ! :laugh: