Shadows

"A Pirate's Life!" Contest - Discussion Thread

apirateslife8b.jpg

Welcome to "A Pirate's Life!" the latest and greatest contest from Eurobricks and Classic-Pirates.com!

I'm your host, imperialshadows, and for this particular ride, I'm all you've got. >:-)

Prepare to have fun, Pirates style, and maybe even pick up some booty! Har! *sweet*

Imagine that LEGO has announced the return of Classic Pirates in all it's glory! YAY! *y*

But, instead of simply launching an entire line that could fail, they're being careful. They want YOU to design sets to test the waters, so to speak.

There will be three classes of entries: impulse, small and large. You may make one entry in each class, if you wish. The classes will be explained below.

They could be almost anything! With nothing to limit you but your imagination (and the rules below), what will you design?

The Contest:

1. Build a set or sets that you think that LEGO could use to sell the world on a new Pirates line.

2. Take pics.

3. Present your work in the entry thread.

4. Vote!

5. You just might win a prize ... or several prizes!

Whoever receives the most votes in each class will win a fabulous prize! Each of our three prizes has been kindly donated by popular EB personalities who are greatly appreciated for their contributions.

What, you want to see them? Oh no, not yet. It's a surprise, but I'll tell you this, they're well worth the effort, so get building!

The Classes:

Impulse: Build an impulse set with no more than 25 pieces, 1 minifig and 1 animal, and 1 parrot. No baseplates, no burps/lurps or large ship hulls. All other rules apply.

Small: Build a small set with no more than 100 pieces, 3 minifigs and 2 animals, and 2 parrots. A single baseplate up to 16x16 may be used. 3 burps/lurps (total, not 3 of each) may be used. No large ship hulls. All other rules apply.

Large: Build a larger set with no more than 200 pieces, 5 minifigs and 4 animals, and 4 parrots. A single 32x32 baseplate, or 2 16x32 baseplates may be used. 5 burps/lurps (total, not 5 of each) may be used. Ship hulls are allowed. All other rules apply.

The Rules:

1. The contest will run from March 31st to May 12th, 6 weeks. No entries will be accepted after that date, unless something comes up and a new date is announced.

2. One entry per class, per person.

3. Only real LEGO brand parts are allowed, with three exceptions. You may use custom decals on minifigs, which will not count against your piece total. Decals used any other way will count as 1 piece. You may use non-LEGO string, if you must, which will also count as 1 piece. You may use custom sails (paper or cloth), which will count as 1 piece each.

4. A standard minifig does not count against your piece total (hat or hair, head, torso, leg assembly). Extra accessories are extra pieces however, even if attached or worn (like a backpack).

5. Digital entries will be allowed.

6. You may present up to 3 pictures per entry. You will post those in the entry thread, along with any backstory or notes you wish to make about your creation. One creation per post. The first picture will become your thumbnail for the voting round, so pick well.

7. Be prepared to offer additional photos if requested for part count verification. In other words, once you've posted your entry, don't take it apart, we might need to see more of it.

8. My judgement is final. I may mention violations in the discussion thread, I may not. Entries may be changed until the end of the contest if you need to fix something. At the end of the contest, violations will be disqualified. I don't want to do that, so please be sure to follow the rules or ask questions.

9. Have fun. Or else. Don't push your luck here, I mean it. :-P

These rules may be updated at any time necessary, please refer to them often.

So there you have it. Treasure is out there to be had, and only you can decide how you will attempt to claim it!

Get building, there be fame and glory ahead!

RULES UPDATED 4/1: Custom sails are now allowed. See rule 3.

RULES UPDATED 4/5: Decals on minifigs no longer count as a piece. Parrots seperated from the animal category and limits given.

RULES UPDATED 4/7: Major change to the way minifig pieces are (and now aren't) counted. See rule #4 and rejoice.

Finally! A pirate contest I can enter that I won't be beat on ships. I'll probably make an impulse, and a small set.

I can't wait to see the prizes, though I doubt I'll win.

Good luck to other cotestants. And better luck to me! >:-)

Cool! I barely have any pirates, so I'll just make an impulse. *y* I will buy some islanders though! :-D

The Classes:

Large: Build a larger set with no more than 200 pieces, 5 minifigs and 4 animals. A single 32x32 baseplate, or 2 16x32 baseplates may be used. 5 burps/lurps (total, not 5 of each) may be used. Ship hulls are allowed. All other rules apply.

Can the ship be more than 32 studs long including the bowsprit?

Just wondering, cause it's real easy to be longer than 32 studs with a ship.

P

Sounds like great fun to me, I look forward to seeing every ones entries!

Treasure is out there to be had, and only you can decide how you will attempt to claim it!

Treasure you say? Now this sounds interesting. I wonder what the prizes are... Surely not REAL LEGO this time... |-/

Allright! This one is really one i'm going to enter!

i may enter this ( first contest on eurobricks!) unfortunately i dont have many pirate parts so ill have to do with an implue set i guess

Edited by Pencoin

I do not own any of the Pirates sets, but I will still try! :-D

Great contest idea, it'll definately get alot of attention.

*sweet*

Can the ship be more than 32 studs long including the bowsprit?

Just wondering, cause it's real easy to be longer than 32 studs with a ship.

Yes it may. There is no physical size restriction of the creation, only for the baseplate itself. That's simply to keep someone from building a small set with a huge plate that LEGO would never do.

Treasure you say? Now this sounds interesting. I wonder what the prizes are... Surely not REAL LEGO this time... |-/

Prepare to be SHOCKED! Preprare to be AMAZED! The prizes, without saying too much, are REAL LEGO! I'll even go a step further ... They're REAL PIRATES LEGO! *sweet*

Bit vague on the rules.... :-P I'll try to enter this one; I was forced to skip the last contest after all :'-(

I want to try this contest! Maybe, i will go for another round of impulse because i have very very limited Pirate sets in my collection! :'-(

Great contest idea! I hope we get a lot of great entries.

I'll be entering!!!

I already have an idea!

And a REAL LEGO Pirate set as a prise :O !

Sounds very fun! *y*

I love the "Build whatever you want" contests *wub*

I'll see what I can do *sweet*

Yo ho Yo ho a pirates life for me.......

Hmm very interesting...

My dam clone army brings me no joy for this!!!

i cant even use a ship hull i own, OH the pain of it...

Must have money to make money, and must have LEGO to get Lego...

A question however, Only two exceptions of non-Lego parts being string and decals, can we add custom paper sails to that list?

All the best to those that enter!!!

I love the "Build whatever you want" contests *wub*

Well it's not quite "anything" because the creation must pass for an official LEGO set - or at least attempt to.

i cant even use a ship hull i own, OH the pain of it...

A question however, Only two exceptions of non-Lego parts being string and decals, can we add custom paper sails to that list?

Why can't you use the hull you own? It's allowed in the Large set class, assuming it's real LEGO.

Paper sails... Yes, that seems reasonable. They will count as 1 piece each though.

RULES ADJUSTED TO ADD CUSTOM SAILS

Every single hull bit i own came from a company known as Enlighten... lol! thats right all 34 (8 ships) bits of hull i own are not Lego

*hangs head in shame*

And all my MONKEYS... ARGHH...

all i am left with is my normal bricks and a very small collection of AUTHENTIC pirate Lego...

AT LEAST MY SIG FIG WILL MAKE IT, with his trusty parrot!

Well it's not quite "anything" because the creation must pass for an official LEGO set - or at least attempt to.

I have trouble conceptualizing "Official" type based entries

Can we enter entires that are pirate sub-themes like Islanders, Armada?

How about a new pirate based sub theme like "Ghost ships" or haunted islands?

This contest does have quite a bit of rules *Insert afraid looking emoticon here*

Yes, you can enter entries that are pirate sub-themes like Islanders and Armada, or you can invent your own sub-theme. Just so long as your entry looks like something the LEGO Group would release.

Yes, you can enter entries that are pirate sub-themes like Islanders and Armada, or you can invent your own sub-theme. Just so long as your entry looks like something the LEGO Group would release.

Sweet! *sweet* I went to go work on my entry but I just sat there and thought "Damn I have no clue on what to build"

So I remembered we had an index of things to build in our very own pirate forum X-D

Browsing for inspiration on

Great, sounds like fun *sweet* The only pirate ship I have is the Renegade Runner, so I'll probably just enter the impulse and small set sections.

Once question though. You mention that you can include an animal in the impulse set. Do you just mean small ones like parrots and monkeys, or are horses allowed?

Edited by TinyPiesRUs

Once question though. You mention that you can include an animal in the impulse set. Do you just mean small ones like parrots and monkeys, or are horses allowed?

All animals are allowed, even dragons. Yes, I know it would make no sense to include a dragon, and you will be ridiculed horribly for it, but it's allowed. *wacko*

Therefore, horses, parrots, monkeys, sharks, octopi, and all other LEGO animals are allowed, within the specified limits. Don't forget, animal accessories count extra, so a saddle adds another piece.

I may sound like a terrible newb/noob (whatever spelling you prefer) asking this but what do you mean with the words burps and lurps? *wacko*