Dangers on the Trail

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 soccerkid6

soccerkid6

• Mitgardia's moccing machine

Member: 20775

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

The weather in Mitgardia is always unpredictable; as Drinian's chosen men head out after Glorfindel a fresh snow falls and the temperature drops.
Coming to a frozen river in their path they have no choice but to cross, the first of them makes it across safely but as he reaches the opposite shore his companion falls through the ice. He quickl comes to help his comrade but building a fire to dry out will cost them valuable time. Will they still be able to reach Glorfindel fast enough?

I wanted to try some ice and snowscaping, but as the deadline for Challenge 4 draws nearer I didn't want to do anything too big.
I'm pretty happy with the result  :classic:
Posted Image

All comments or criticism welcome   :classic:

Edited by soccerkid6, 07 June 2013 - 12:44 PM.

Sir Glorfindel of Mitgardia, Architect Regent of Valholl, Officer of Valholl, Treasurer of the Valholl Mason's guild, Economic Titan, Knight of Valholl, Mason Teacher, Shadow Rider, Gentlefolk, in the Guilds of Historica
Here is my website: http://brickbuilt.org
My flickr: link
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

#2 Captain Settle

Captain Settle

• Needs eggs on his face

Member: 28013

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

I really like this MOC despite it's small size. The water effect is done well, and the bush with snow on is a nice touch.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Check out my LEGO Space comic, A Brickish Space Comic!
Ravious Bose, Nocturnus ranger, in Guilds of Historica.
Francis Barkley, Level 5 Ranger in Heroica RPG

#3 SkaForHire

SkaForHire

• Historica's Fortune Teller

Member: 759

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

Really cool...

I wonder if there is a way that you could do the ice and make it look more like it was shattering. I don't know if there is a way to do this, I am just wondering. You did the break well though, it was something I decided not to put in my Embassy - a hole in the iced over water - at first I was going to put fishermen in, but it became too complicated at the time. I think your example looks great though, and I might try something like that later.
D.L.T.B.G.Y.D.  Flickr Feed

Dugal MacLean of the Kaliphlin Guild ~ "GEAR Up with GEAR CO supplies."

Posted Image   Posted Image Posted Image
Triumphal Arch of Petraea ... | ....   Devil's Island   ...... | ........    Rakath Mountain Ritual

#4 soccerkid6

soccerkid6

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:53 PM

View PostCaptain Settle, on 04 July 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

I really like this MOC despite it's small size. The water effect is done well, and the bush with snow on is a nice touch.
Thank you  :classic: The bush was an afterthought, I knew I needed something to break up all that white  :laugh:

View PostSkaForHire, on 04 July 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

Really cool...

I wonder if there is a way that you could do the ice and make it look more like it was shattering. I don't know if there is a way to do this, I am just wondering. You did the break well though, it was something I decided not to put in my Embassy - a hole in the iced over water - at first I was going to put fishermen in, but it became too complicated at the time. I think your example looks great though, and I might try something like that later.
Thanks, I'm sure there is a way but it would probably take a fair amount of experimentation. I may try to do it in my Challenge 4 build  :classic:
Sir Glorfindel of Mitgardia, Architect Regent of Valholl, Officer of Valholl, Treasurer of the Valholl Mason's guild, Economic Titan, Knight of Valholl, Mason Teacher, Shadow Rider, Gentlefolk, in the Guilds of Historica

John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

#5 Legonardo

Legonardo

• Can't Build With One Arm Tied Behind His Back

Member: 22773

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:53 AM

Haha :laugh:

Posted Image Posted Image

Legonardo

Posted Image

Flickr

#6 de Gothia

de Gothia

• Still really, really, REALLY wants to join Nocturnus.

Member: 18035

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

Another great little moc! Great idea with the ice breaking! Have to be very cold!! *huh*

The ice layer and the footprints from the men in the snow are perfect!

de Gothia of Avalonia

My Flickr

#7 soccerkid6

soccerkid6

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

View PostLegonardo Davidy, on 05 July 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

Haha :laugh:

I guess that means you like it?  :sceptic:

View Postde Gothia, on 05 July 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

Another great little moc! Great idea with the ice breaking! Have to be very cold!! *huh*

The ice layer and the footprints from the men in the snow are perfect!

Thanks de Gothia,  glad you noticed the footprints  :classic:

#8 Siercon and Coral

Siercon and Coral

• King and Queen of the Iron Throne

Member: 17453

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

Cool :cough: little moc! I think the ice looks perfect, and as people have said the little snow footprints are great :)
At first glance I totally thought the other guy was just gonna walk off without him lol. Maybe cause he looks a little calm, "just another day in the frozen tundra"
:P
Great job :)

Edited by Siercon and Coral, 05 July 2012 - 06:17 PM.

Posted ImageYou found the magic invisible script! :D Posted Image

...................................Visit our Flickr! :)..........................................................................................Heroica RPG Stats.........

#9 Cara

Cara

• Green Captain of the Flying Piranha

Member: 12904

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:13 AM

Love the clear beneath the white, that's perfectly to how ice melts around a hole  :thumbup:
Guilds of Historica: Proud Mitgardian.  Astrun Egilsdóttir, Journeyman Bard
Tournament of Retribution III: Bluecoat, Deck Scrubber - Redcoats, Fear my Brush!

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My Flickr Album
Obsessively forcing square bricks into round shapes.

#10 kabel

kabel

• lower case

Member: 6745

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

very nice snow moc, I'm going to have to borrough ideas from this! Excellent!!
Steen Larsson
Carpenter
Royal Architect of Mitgardia and Vice Admiral of the Mitgardian fleet

Posted Image   Posted Image

My Brickshelf

My Flickr

Medieval Ships

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

#11 soccerkid6

soccerkid6

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

View PostSiercon and Coral, on 05 July 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

Cool :cough: little moc! I think the ice looks perfect, and as people have said the little snow footprints are great :)
At first glance I totally thought the other guy was just gonna walk off without him lol. Maybe cause he looks a little calm, "just another day in the frozen tundra"
:P
Great job :)

:laugh: Thanks  :classic:

View PostCara, on 06 July 2012 - 06:13 AM, said:

Love the clear beneath the white, that's perfectly to how ice melts around a hole  :thumbup:

Thank you, I was pretty excited about how it came out  :thumbup:

View Postkabel, on 06 July 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

very nice snow moc, I'm going to have to borrough ideas from this! Excellent!!

Glad you like it, feel free to borrow whatever you want  :classic:

#12 Ecclesiastes

Ecclesiastes

• Master of "da hood"

Member: 17645

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

Great job on the all the snow, I really like how you use the brick at different angles! Also the crack in the ice is very well executed! :classic:

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image
There's a time for tearing down and a time for building. - Ecclesiastes

My Flickr

#13 Mike S

Mike S

• New Daddy!

Member: 26273

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

The cracked hole in the ice is really well done! And I also like the snow covered bush.

Come explore the lands of the Guilds of Historica

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#14 soccerkid6

soccerkid6

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

View PostEcclesiastes, on 07 July 2012 - 11:42 AM, said:

Great job on the all the snow, I really like how you use the brick at different angles! Also the crack in the ice is very well executed! :classic:

Thanks  :sweet:

View PostMikel Kalores, on 07 July 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

The cracked hole in the ice is really well done! And I also like the snow covered bush.

Thank you  :classic: , the bush is very simple but quite effective in my opinion.

#15 Gabe

Gabe

• Green capital G

Member: 12135

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:48 AM

Very nice snow effects, and i really like the break in the ice - the edges have that crazed and shattered look you'd expect of broken ice.  :thumbup: The bush in the corner is a nice touch too, although i think the addition of another tree or bush in the opposite back corner would have made for a more balanced composition. Nice work!  :thumbup:
Erudhalion Sansael, Admiral of the Kaliphlin fleet. Peregrinus for Kaliphlin!
Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image

#16 soccerkid6

soccerkid6

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

View Postgabe, on 14 July 2012 - 04:48 AM, said:

Very nice snow effects, and i really like the break in the ice - the edges have that crazed and shattered look you'd expect of broken ice.  :thumbup: The bush in the corner is a nice touch too, although i think the addition of another tree or bush in the opposite back corner would have made for a more balanced composition. Nice work!  :thumbup:

Thanks gabe  :classic: Your idea about another bush/tree is a good one, I will have to keep that in mind for my next builds  :thumbup:

#17 Rogue Angel

Rogue Angel

• No Longer Suffering From Male Pattern Baldness

Member: 4711

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

This is a really nice small build.  The snot work on the snow is excellent, and you've done a great job on the crack in the ice.  You've portrayed this scene superbly!

Lord Varis of the Rustling Leaves Clan within the Enchanted Forest of Avalonia

Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image Posted Image

#18 soccerkid6

soccerkid6

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

View Postrogueang, on 04 August 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

This is a really nice small build.  The snot work on the snow is excellent, and you've done a great job on the crack in the ice.  You've portrayed this scene superbly!

Thanks rogueang!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users