Hi!

This is my first topic on the forum, I would probably not have posted at all if it weren't for the pneumatic contest. A combination of me seeing the 42053 EW160 and finding my old lego technic from late 90's and early 00's led me to this forum filled with nice people playing with arguably the most versatile toy ever. I'm a trained mechanical engineer, though not practicing my trade yet, and looking back I believe Lego Technic was one of the big inspirations that made me choose that career path. Back in the day I had (and still have) a 8459 pneumatic wheel loader, and now I was leaning towards buying the 42053 EW160. But why not test my skills (and luck?) by making a nice little MOC for the contest. Enough drivel about the good old days, over to what I've come up with so far. Please bear with me, I am aware that you guys are way better at this, have more parts at home etc. The point of this project was to make something that I actually wanted for my already existing sets without costing a fortune for me to buy and build.

It's a trailer suitable for both the 8459 and 42053, inspired by the Swedish-made trailers from Metsjö. I wanted it to be more than just a regular trailer with tipping function, so I'm aiming for a two-step high tip function which raises the rear of the bed before tipping it. The tailgate is automatically opening and closing with the tipping, thanks to a lever on each side which are connected to the frame. The final "function", so far, is a parking support in the front.

c3mJQhP.png

cCgMs3V.png

pZtBXf9.png

96qh2WE.png

jcDaa04.png

uOl1Zfn.png

This is what I've come up with so far, I must say that LDD is really bad when you want to try the functionality of your model. I still haven't figured out how to make the pneumatic circuit work as intended. The goal is to put the main switch on the Digger/Loader/Tractor pulling the trailer, leaving the two-step function automated and built into the trailer. So when you pull the lever to tip your load, it first lifts the rear, then tips. I'm hoping that my old friends, the laws of physics, will solve this for me without the need of two extra switches on board to route the air, but I suspect that Murphy's law will decide my fate in the end.

So what do you guys think? Too simple and easy? Too predictable? Put on a LA and paint it gray and you'll end up with half an Arocs? Awesome? Improvements? Other ideas?

If the feedback is good enough I'll just have to convince my bank account that I need to make an "investment" or two on bricklink to build it IRL. There's still a lot of things that needs testing which is not possible in LDD, so I'm a bit scared that I will have bought a bunch of bricks that won't work...

metsjo-trailer.lxf

Edited by Klirre

That trailer looks very good and functional, it is very similar to some trailers in real life that i have used with tractors, it has a clean and a robust design, nice work.

Finally, my last question is for the Eurobricks staff:

197f40.jpg

What seems to be the problem? I see no troubles using Imgur as long as you use direct URLs for each picture. Edited by zux

Hi and welcome to EB! I'm happy to see another Swedish builder, they seem to be rare :grin:

Very interesting model! I would really like to see that built with physical bricks.

I agree LDD isn't that good when building technic. SR3D used to be a good option for trying the functionality, but unfortunately it isn't developed anymore :thumbdown:

Thank you all for the kind words, it sure motivates me to continue the project :)

The first thing I would need to order is some pneumatic hose and try to fix my old corroded cylinders. I really want to be able to show off the trailer in combination with my 8459 loader.

Zux: It might well have been my own fault, trying to make a good forum post at 01:00 local time is not one of my brightest ideas :P. I will edit out the comment tonight when I'm home at my comp.

Hi Klirre,

Can you post the LDD file, would be a nice tipper to rebuild.

Done, it's available in the first post. I hope that it's not against the rules of the contest to share your LDD-model.

Done, it's available in the first post. I hope that it's not against the rules of the contest to share your LDD-model.

Thanks for the LDD file. And no, it's not illegal :)

No it's fine!

Your images are way too big though. Please embed version of max 1024 wide.

And you don't need to use spoiler tags for your images.

Welcome to EB by the way. Nice progress on the trailer.

Jim: Done, smaller pics uploaded.

Dafgek81: Haven't seen the 8284 IRL, make sure you try in LDD first so the proportions of the trailer fit your tractor :) It's pretty easy to increase the size of the bed if necessary, and there are larger wheels available too if needed.

Dafgek81: Haven't seen the 8284 IRL, make sure you try in LDD first so the proportions of the trailer fit your tractor :) It's pretty easy to increase the size of the bed if necessary, and there are larger wheels available too if needed.

It is a little smaller then the one in set 8063, the tractor is the same, only red.

But I like the tipping bed and boom a lot better.

Does it have suspension?

Can't open a LDD file on my Windows phone.

Have to refit the tractor with pneumatics though.

To be honest the idea is not so special... I see the key to win in such competitions is "innovation"

this trailer is well built and packed. I really love that tailgate system you have used.

Pendular suspension in one of axles makes it more suitable for rough terrains. Also you can make a small stabilzer for it at front usig a small pneumatic cylinder, so it doesnt fall when not attached anywhere. I see you have used a bent liftarm as stabilzer but a cylinder would give it a more pneumatic look!

Lycka till ;)

Edited by arshiaIQ

To be honest the idea is not so special... I see the key to win in such competitions is "innovation"

this trailer is well built and packed. I really love that tailgate system you have used.

Pendular suspension in one of axles makes it more suitable for rough terrains. Also you can make a small stabilzer for it at front usig a small pneumatic cylinder, so it doesnt fall when not attached anywhere. I see you have used a bent liftarm as stabilzer but a cylinder would give it a more pneumatic look!

Lycka till ;)

I agree that the idea is nowhere near new or innovative, but then again neither are excavators or wheel loaders for that matter. If I were to build some kind of truck it would be compared with the 42043 arocs.

As I've recently returned to building lego and my collection is fairly small, I figured I'd keep it pretty basic but functional and focus on a high quality moc rather than some 15-function behemoth of a digger that would cost me a fortune to build.

My other idea was to make a hook-lift system that could unload the bed, but that would end up with a single pneumatic cylinder amd no way of making the tailgate open automatically.

I hope this at least explains the choices I've made, there's still time amd nothing says that I won't try to incorporate more functions later in the project. The pneumatic support seems like a good idea for example I'll make sure to buy some extra cylinders ans switches when I get to ordering parts on bricklink.

As for the project, right now I'm waiting for a reply from LEGO, to see if they can provide spare seals for my old pneumatic cylinders. After I've repaired them I'm building my 8459 loader so I've got something to pull the trailer.