Sign in to follow this  
Andy D

Using Duplo bricks as structure elements?

I have been considering a rather large build. I need some hidden structure elements just to hold things up. I need an opinion (or two or three or however many show up).

Would it be more structurally sound (or just as sound) to use Duplo bricks as hidden structure elements or "standard" bricks?

Considering the cost of Duplo bricks vs "standard" bricks... Which would be more economic choice for a large structure (the hidden elements)?

Is there an easy way on Bricklink to find the least expensive color in a particular brick style (example 2x4, 2x6, etc. for structure elements, color doesn't matter)?

I am just looking for opinions on what others have done and reasons (or just opinions) for choice of Duplo vs "standard" bricks as structure elements.

Thanks,

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I do know from experience that the Duplo bricks would be just as sound as standard bricks, if not more so. They are larger bricks solidly molded, so they are stronger than the equivalent brick made up of standard bricks combined, but, due to their size, are less flexible in terms of design (the base "pixel" is much larger). Standard bricks work as well, of course. My recommendation would be to use Duplo as the main filler and cover the Duplo bricks with standard bricks to fine-tune the shaping and allow for more diverse connections atop the filler.

As to cost, I have no experience shopping for Duplo. I have only used what I had as a toddler.

I hope this makes sense and is helpful.

Using Duplo is a great idea, but I would advise using mostly technic beams or non-lego support frames (e.g.steel frames-these can be expensive though).

For one of your other questions, you could use the 'Show all colours' link, and then select 'Price- low to high' to find the cheapest option.

Duplo 'beams' can get pretty costly for larger pieces like 2x8 and above... We were just talking about PPP for Duplo being upwards of $0.50 for most sets, and even those with the best PPP cost usually only have one or two bricks that large, if any.

If you're not in a hurry, you should look for some Duplo bricks at garage sales. I've gotten a lot of them that way. I love Duplo bricks in their own right, but I've been using them as support also.

I even store my display using Duplo bricks to create pillars to stack baseplates on top of baseplates.

I don't know about Duplo bricks, but I know how to search for stuff o BrickLink.

Go to the "search" tab (located near the top of the site) and type in "brick 2 x 4 (or 2 x 6, or whatever size you want).

All of the 2 x 4 bricks being sold at the time will appear. You can sort through the vast piles of selections by going to the "sort by" drop down menu.

I would suggest using whatever pieces you don't use but are still the right size or shape (for me that is almost anything from this catalog)

And if you want to buy lots of 2X4 bricks, I would suggest buying used ones, they will disappear anyway, right?

Duplo can be a great solution for internal structures of large MOCs but isn't reliably cheap if you're getting the parts individually off of Bricklink. What you want to do is search eBay or local yard sales for used Duplo. Folks unload it for cheap even more frequently than regular Lego (understandably, since kids outgrow it), and if it's used for an unseen internal structure then things like part color don't matter.

I just found some Duplo 2x4 bricks on Bricklink. I ordered 32, they wound up costing about $0.32 each after shipping and handling. The 32 Duplo bricks will replace 256 standard 2x4 bricks (each Duplo 2x4 is equal to 8 regular 2x4's). I may need 8 more Duplo 2x4's, but using 64 regular bricks wouldn't be too bad.

Thanks for all the replies!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

That is a good idea though. How well do the standard bricks fit with Duplo? I've never experimented before.

With that said, I have some reservations about ordering used pieces, even if they would be hidden in a build. I don't know why. I need to get over that of course since I am trying to source certain sets from my youth AND I have a few larger scaled builds I plan on doing in the future that will require a lot of rock-work and the interior won't be seen in that aspect...

Can't wait to see this build you have planned. Have you stuck to your resolutions?

That is a good idea though. How well do the standard bricks fit with Duplo? I've never experimented before.

Regular bricks go better on top of Duplo than under. The tubes in the bottom of regular bricks fit inside the studs of the Duplo and connect very firmly. The studs of regular bricks will engage the bottom of Duplo bricks, but with far less clutch power than the other way, and actually less than between regular bricks. So, you can build up height quickly with Duplo and fine tune with regular at the top, but if you start going laterally, building off the bottom of Duplo structure won't work very well.

We used Duplo for the support structure to our LEGO Store Window display. A regular 2x4 brick will connect to the top of the Duplo brick. The connection won't have much clutch power. If you don't move or lift your MOC too much then it is fine. Duplo is goood if you already have them from your childhood.

Duplo isn't just for filler. I got some nice used 2x2 pearl gold Duplo bricks and incorporated them into a build. Look behind the flags.

8387063803_fbdcc8c105_o.jpg

8388155930_3b618c0c01_o.jpg

I also find that some Duplo detail pieces make for wonderful additions to builds. I have several MOCs planned that use Duplo parts prominently.

I have a few Duplo bricks for this purpose and they are good, they fill up a big space. The trouble is getting them in big enough quantity. Maybe garage/car boot sales would be a good idea? It is my experience though that actual sets tend to not have large numbers of just Duplo bricks. It can take a while to actually build a selection of Basic Duplo bricks to use for this. Apart from that its a good idea.

With that said, I have some reservations about ordering used pieces, even if they would be hidden in a build. I don't know why. I need to get over that of course since I am trying to source certain sets from my youth AND I have a few larger scaled builds I plan on doing in the future that will require a lot of rock-work and the interior won't be seen in that aspect...

Can't wait to see this build you have planned. Have you stuck to your resolutions?

The build is for Halloween 2015. I am having trouble this year with mixed media (LEGO plus support structure of wood). Making things match up in mixed media is difficult and not as flexible as all LEGO.

My resolutions.... Yeah right.. Didn't spend less, (in fact I spent more that year) didn't build more. But with my new space it is much easier to keep things neat and I do spend a lot of time sorting.

Overall... LEGO is the best hobby I have ever had!

I'll post about he condition of the used Duplo (2x4) I ordered. I am also looking for a quantity of Duplo 2x2 as well and maybe some Duplo plates 2x2 and 2x4. I think between all those Duplo sizes and standard size bricks and plates I should have an easier time getting dimensions to suit me.

I hope to finish part of my 2014 Halloween build this week, then you can see my difficulty working with mixed media.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Not only bricks are useful - I regularly use castle walls under mountains. If you get two sets of walls and put a 16x8 duplo plate on top, then you have a 32x16 equivalent lego studs mountain top to build off, which is strong but light.

Yes, since its a solid brick it wont spectate unlike building a Lego equivalent out of many parts.

I've only did it once for a bridge myself and that was in LDD

Edited by SNIPE

Andy D asked...

Would it be more structurally sound (or just as sound) to use Duplo bricks as hidden structure elements or "standard" bricks?

As it's been previously stated, a Duplo 2x4 can cover the same area as 8 2x4 standard LEGO bricks. Depending how high you plan to build, enclose them with a level of LEGO bricks every so often. One, it stays nice and secure; clutch power with Duplo isn't the same as with standard LEGO. Two, it also stays even!

Considering the cost of Duplo bricks vs "standard" bricks... Which would be more economic choice for a large structure (the hidden elements)?

Duplo will work, or use a honey comb method with 2x6 LEGO bricks. I'm using a combination on a build I've got going right now. A baseplate covered in Duplo isn't too heavy, but a box filled with baseplates covered in duplo is very heavy. The 2x6 method is actually very lightweight, but super sturdy. Like I said though, I use a combination depending on what I'm building.

Is there an easy way on Bricklink to find the least expensive color in a particular brick style (example 2x4, 2x6, etc. for structure elements, color doesn't matter)?

If you play around on Bricklink, there are a lot of different ways to find things. Use the arrows and search functions, they work!

Stash

Duplo will work, or use a honey comb method with 2x6 LEGO bricks. I'm using a combination on a build I've got going right now. A baseplate covered in Duplo isn't too heavy, but a box filled with baseplates covered in duplo is very heavy. The 2x6 method is actually very lightweight, but super sturdy. Like I said though, I use a combination depending on what I'm building.

Stash

Thanks... Can you point me to a photo or drawing that illustrates the "honey comb" method you discussed?

Thanks,

Andy D

The strongest building method I know is where you design the shape of the model using sideways lego bricks however I am not sure if that is a viable option here.

I just got some Duplo 2x4's so I thought I would update.

Yes, the clutch power of Duplo to Duplo is weaker than standard bricks, but, think about the target audience, those little hands need to be able to separate bricks.

The clutch power of Duplo to standard brick is pretty good! at least good enough as for me Duplo will be support for a stack.

The batch I got were used but in very good condition, no teeth marks and no more scratches than one would get just handling and storing in containers. Also very clean.

Attaching standard bricks to Duplo...

1x anything just doesn't work.

Plates of any size have no clutch at all, just sit there, which "could be OK for some applications.

2x3 will not work.

2x2, 2x4, 2x6 and 2x8 work on a Duplo 2x4 and have reasonable clutch.

I think the Duplo will give me good filler / structure elements.

Thanks for all the replies and info.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D