Jump to content


LAYOUT: My Lego Room


11 replies to this topic

#1 FreeBee

FreeBee

    Posts: 154
    Joined: 07-June 07
    Member: 1663
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:47 PM

Posted Image

I wanted to show the process of my little legoroom.
All the rails are still on the floor but tables are on the way.
I just put it down so i could what see what would be a nice layout.
Posted Image

Pictures taken from some other angles:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

This is the to-be-sort-out side:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

On these shelves i will place my classic space:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

And a bonus:
Picture take while modifying rails in the backyard.
Just a little cutting , filing and soldering.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 ZueriHB

ZueriHB

    Posts: 231
    Joined: 13-January 10
    Member: 9062
    Country: Switzerland

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:31 PM

Interesting Layout, lot's of rail to travel.

Keep us updated please.

Is there enough clearance (at the switches when two trains meet) and slopes not too steep (curves)?
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#3 legitimatealex

legitimatealex

    Posts: 229
    Joined: 24-February 10
    Member: 9691
    Country: USA

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:03 PM

These set ups make me yearn for when I'm not in a cramped apartment.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ My LEGO Creations and my humor, all on display for the glory of the Internet.

#4 hoeij

hoeij

    Posts: 502
    Joined: 12-May 10
    Member: 10641

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:14 PM

I'm curious to know the setup of the tables, how to organize them so that there is room between them to reach things.

Mark

#5 legotrainfan

legotrainfan

    Posts: 1364
    Joined: 21-January 08
    Member: 2562
    Country: Austria

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:47 AM

When you have a room like that, you suddenly realise how much space tracks can take up. My LEGO room has 12 square metres and the railway stuff takes up nearly everthing of that space.
[...]
I have spread my dreams under your feet.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
From: "He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven" by W.B. Yeats


Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Imperial Shipyards

Imperial Shipyards

  • Master frigate builder!


    Posts: 571
    Joined: 20-September 09
    Member: 7496
    Country: Germany

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:51 AM

Yes, it takes quite a lot of space for railtracks and your room is a perfecti example for that!
I think the bridge is quite interesting... is it stable enough?
Not all your tracks are connected yet and I'd like to see trains on them in action.  :tongue:

Posted ImagePosted Image_Posted Image_Posted ImagePosted Image


INDEX: Historic Ships, Replicas, Figureheads and Models

"The better is the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

flickr


#7 missouri_bb63

missouri_bb63

    Posts: 286
    Joined: 01-August 09
    Member: 6866
    Country: Belgium

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:30 PM

You managed put a huge amount of track into a small space. A very good design, I might have to remember this layout for a later date.  :thumbup:  Any chance you could send me the BlueBrick layout, or even a screen shot of the BB layout? Thanks!

Edited by missouri_bb63, 24 May 2010 - 01:32 PM.


#8 aprendiendo

aprendiendo

    Posts: 11
    Joined: 07-May 10
    Member: 10557
    Country: Spain

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:50 PM

Wow

I would like to NXTize your layout ;-)

#9 Bricktrix

Bricktrix

  • Game model designer extraordinaire


    Posts: 129
    Joined: 14-March 10
    Member: 9917

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:16 AM

View PostFreeBee, on May 23 2010, 03:47 PM, said:

Posted Image

I wanted to show the process of my little legoroom.
All the rails are still on the floor but tables are on the way.
I just put it down so i could what see what would be a nice layout.

Your going to have huge problems with that track layout if you keep it as it is. The tracks are way too close together, especially on the corners. Overhang from rolling stock and engines through curves, will result in collisions, more so if your running them in opposite directions.
If your planning on having this a long-term layout, I would seriously suggest you redesign it to avoid these problems.

#10 FreeBee

FreeBee

    Posts: 154
    Joined: 07-June 07
    Member: 1663
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:30 PM

View PostZueriHB, on May 23 2010, 05:31 PM, said:

Interesting Layout, lot's of rail to travel.Keep us updated please.Is there enough clearance (at the switches when two trains meet) and slopes not too steep (curves)?
Updates will come. And the clearance is present , but I cant drive'8-wide trains.

View Postlegitimatealex, on May 23 2010, 06:03 PM, said:

These set ups make me yearn for when I'm not in a cramped apartment.
'Sorry,  :blush:

View Posthoeij, on May 23 2010, 08:14 PM, said:

I'm curious to know the setup of the tables, how to organize them so that there is room between them to reach things.Mark
Here's my future table set up. I will use a lot of small plates to keep it flexible for expansions or movings!
Posted Image

View Postlegotrainfan, on May 24 2010, 11:47 AM, said:

When you have a room like that, you suddenly realise how much space tracks can take up. My LEGO room has 12 square metres and the railway stuff takes up nearly everthing of that space.
Yep, you are right. I had a lot of planning and thinking before i came up with this layout.

View PostPerfectionist, on May 24 2010, 11:51 AM, said:

Yes, it takes quite a lot of space for railtracks and your room is a perfecti example for that! I think the bridge is quite interesting... is it stable enough?Not all your tracks are connected yet and I'd like to see trains on them in action.  :tongue:
The bridge ain't finished yet and will take a long time , but for now it will do i think. I will make a video with driving trains as soon as possible.

View Postmissouri_bb63, on May 24 2010, 02:30 PM, said:

You managed put a huge amount of track into a small space. A very good design, I might have to remember this layout for a later date.  :thumbup:  Any chance you could send me the BlueBrick layout, or even a screen shot of the BB layout? Thanks!
You can have both :  :classic:
Posted Image
Click here for the BBM-file.

View Postaprendiendo, on May 24 2010, 11:50 PM, said:

I would like to NXTize your layout ;-)
I bet you would like that, i will probably devide it into blocks for easier riding.

View PostBricktrix, on May 25 2010, 01:16 AM, said:

The tracks are way too close together, especially on the corners. Overhang from rolling stock and engines through curves, will result in collisions, more so if your running them in opposite directions.
I know so i will only drive small or max 6 wide-trains on it. Because of the relative small layout i will prefer only 2-axle wagons and loco's.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 missouri_bb63

missouri_bb63

    Posts: 286
    Joined: 01-August 09
    Member: 6866
    Country: Belgium

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:18 PM

Thanks FreeBee!

#12 hoeij

hoeij

    Posts: 502
    Joined: 12-May 10
    Member: 10641

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:11 PM

View PostBricktrix, on May 24 2010, 08:16 PM, said:

Your going to have huge problems with that track layout if you keep it as it is. The tracks are way too close together, especially on the corners. Overhang from rolling stock and engines through curves, will result in collisions, more so if your running them in opposite directions.
If your planning on having this a long-term layout, I would seriously suggest you redesign it to avoid these problems.

If the tracks are lined up right next to each other (since the sleepers stick out 1 stud, that means 2 studs of space between the rails)
then you do get collisions, but if you keep 1 more stud of room between the tracks, then all of the standard 6-wide lego trains work OK
(I've used this with many standard lego trains, no guarantees for MOC's of course!).
Note though that with trains that have handle bars sticking out, when they pass each other in a curve we're talking about one mm
of clearance.  It does look kind of scary especially when moving in opposite directions.

That 1 stud of empty space between the tracks is not enough for the Emerald night, which is wider than 6 studs, which means
that I don't let it run over my train bridge in order to prevent collisions with other trains  (it doesn't collide on the bridge itself, but
on the curve that comes after it. But the width of my bridge does not allow me to put more than 1 stud between the tracks there).

You can my layout for our local train show here:  www.math.fsu.edu/~hoeij/t

Mark



Reply to this topic



  


1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users