Sign in to follow this  
Anticyclone

MOC: Swedish Railways 4-6-0

Swedish State Railways or Statens Järnvägar (SJ) 'B' Class 4-6-0

Number one on my favorite steam locomotive list these engines are just so darn handsome. These hard working locomotives were first introduced to Swedish State Railways in 1909 and drew it's inspiration from the Prussian State Railways P8 4-6-0's from 1906. They have some unusual features not normally seen on most steam locomotives such as the streamlined wind cutter cab, streamlined smokebox, and strange tender design. They proved to be an excellent operator for all duties and pulled both passenger and freight trains in Sweden. They were built up until 1920 with a total of 99 locomotives built.

8064081541_fd404291d4_z.jpg

8067330586_c95aba5fff_z.jpg

This isn't the first time I've modeled this locomotive from LEGO. My first attempt was in about 2005, however due to the limited bricks I had and parts that I'd have to wait a few more years for LEGO to release, it was severely lacking. It was done from memory, didn't have the right cab shape, boiler was too small and other features too blocky.This isn't the first time I've modeled this locomotive from LEGO. My first attempt was in about 2005, however due to the limited bricks I had and parts that I'd have to wait a few more years for LEGO to release, it was severely lacking. It was done from memory, didn't have the right cab shape, boiler was too small and other features too blocky.

8064085160_1205c0911d_z.jpg

8064083423_b8008de45b_z.jpg

8064082681_b60d95d2ec_z.jpg

A nice before and after shot.

8064081695_34349bd7e7_z.jpg

This time I revisited the locomotive and built it first on LDD to see what I needed for parts. This time I remembered to include the wind cutter cab (hard thing to model in LEGO) and the larger drivers and boiler. Also unlike my earlier MOCs this time my engine is able to navigate LEGO curved track and is also motorized! But that's not all, it actually has SOUND installed!

I used a sound card from one of my G scale model trains and installed it in the tender. When the train starts moving it sounds the whistle and increased the chuff rate as the power increases. A LEGO wire clips onto the forward motor and goes straight into the card with no soldering necessary. These sound cards can be adjusted to fit your particular locomotive by adjusting a series of screw terminals on the chip itself. These sound cards are available from www.mylocosound.com.

More Pics can be seen here on my flickr > http://www.flickr.co...s/46711946@N07/

Edited by Anticyclone

This is a really nice train. I particularly like the way you have modelled the tender on it to capture the unique look. Good to see it running as well, and hear those 'chuff chuff' noises.

Wonderful - and thanks for sharing before and after pics!

Edited by harnbak

Let me repeat what I said before the server crash: that's a really nice model! Lots of interesting details. I especially like the driving gear.

This is a really nice train. I particularly like the way you have modelled the tender on it to capture the unique look. Good to see it running as well, and hear those 'chuff chuff' noises.

Thanks, It's the strangest tender I've seen so far. The only problem with the sound is it becomes muffled on some areas of the track farthest from the regulator because of the voltage drop.

Wonderful - and thanks for sharing before and after pics!

It's quite a surprise to me when I went to my old MOC folders and saw how different it looks now compared to how I thought it looked to me back then. We're all improving on our skills. ;)

Let me repeat what I said before the server crash: that's a really nice model! Lots of interesting details. I especially like the driving gear.

Yeah I wondered where my first post went. Haha

Beautiful steam engine! :thumbup:

I love the new piston rods :wub:

Thank you. :)

That is a beautiful steam loco. The more I looked at the photo the more cleverly thought out details I could see. Thankyou for posting the photo of your first attempt too, seeing photos like that one are really encouraging to a new chum like me.

That is a beautiful steam loco. The more I looked at the photo the more cleverly thought out details I could see. Thankyou for posting the photo of your first attempt too, seeing photos like that one are really encouraging to a new chum like me.

Thanks, Annie. After a while and the more you build and learn new techniques you'll be looking back at how primitive your first MOC's were. I'm still working on improving my building techniques.