legolijntje

[Contest] LDD/LDraw Contest 2014: Build your dream home

contest%20main%20image%20600px.jpg?dl=1&token_hash=AAFg7AiPFmmCTX_aLLOFfuuGfOGE7Yjbc0mGuweNGBFL4Q

Welcome!

Welcome to the 2014 Eurobricks Digital Contest for Ldraw and LDD tools.

This years theme is to create your LEGO dream home; build any kind

of building or construction that you'd like to live in - house, cottage, bioshpere, tree house...

Categories

First category: Free build

The first category is a free-build category. Build whatever you like, as long as it is a home or special place or building you'd like to live: mansion, beach villa, tree house, biosphere...? You don't have to build a modular (you may do of course). Although it's possible to use all brick/color combinations, please don't do that. We don't check all the entries and it certainly is not a problem if you got a few slopes and bricks in some colors that don't exist, but don't make a full chrome-gold wall or a big fabuland-brown floor. We will disqualify entries that go too wild with the colors. Although you may build as big as you like, it would be nice to keep it within 100x100 studs. Minfigs are allowed.

Second category: Micro build

Don't have the time or skills to build a big house? Or maybe you don't like building big at all. Don't worry, you can enter in the second category. In this category, you have to build something in micro-scale. The maximum size allowed in the contest is 30x30 studs. Once again - the challenge is to build your dream home, so it's doesn't have to be a skyscraper like so many other Architecture buildings. But don't build in minifig scale...build in micro scale in this class. Minifigs not allowed.

Third category: Rendering

Since this is a digital contest, we have a special category for the best rendering. The theme is still "build your dream home". You can enter with either a MOC you made for Free or Micro class, or another one (as long as it is a home). This class will be judged on the rendering. You can chose whatever rendering approach you want: spaced out, ultra realistic rendering, rending with special lighting.....

Prizes (special thanks to our friends at TLG!!)

Free build category prize

The first prize is an amazing 10243 Parisian Restaurant

10243.jpg?dl=1&token_hash=AAG6OrU4So8EYcMXWcd8qSRdFQbLuV4RZJOMxVZH1wKz8Q

The second prize is the cool 31012 Family House

31012.jpg?dl=1&token_hash=AAHK0SHRKK9BA-8V5W0iwNAiSb1ieawYE4JVSqAxMi9s4Q

Micro build category prize

The first prize is the great 21014 Villa Savoye

21014.jpg?dl=1&token_hash=AAHxqHUGztCjDzAqKEiIThEIr4KtBORx3MF5jC5-_wXUYg

Rendering category prize

The LDD Team has made a special prize available to us - three digital bricks to be added to the next LDD update. The winner of the rendering contest will be able to chose one of those bricks or choose an SR3D Builder license.

The LDD brick can be a new or legacy bricks, as long as it's in-line with the other bricks in LDD. This means no odd Fabuland hear or so - the brick has to give meaning to other builders. But it can be a special and rare brick, that's no problem - the winner decides. Once the brick has been chosen, it will be added for the next update to LDD (which as you know may take several months).

brick.jpg OR 1259239904m_SPLASH.jpg SR 3D Builder Registration Code (thanks Sergio!)

Judges special prize

The other two digital bricks will be awarded by legolijntje and Superkalle as "judges prizes" to some especially innovative entries that push the boundaries for using digital building, either by itself or together with physical building :classic:

Rules

Of course there are also some rules. Please read them carefully so you don't make any mistakes.

Deadline

• All entries should be submitted in the entry topic before April 15th at 24.00 GMT. Make sure your entry is legit and according to the contest rules.

General rules

• You may build your model using LDD or an LDraw based program, such as SR3D Builder, MLcad, LeoCad or BrickSmith.
  • The contest is open to all EuroBricks members (also new members). Staff is not allowed to participate.
  • You model should be new and never posted before anywhere on the internet.
  • Use of custom parts is not allowed.
  • Use of custom decals is allowed.
  • Although it's possible to use all brick/color combinations, please try to don't do that.
  • The model has to be physically buildable, so no floating bricks and such.
  • Only 1 home/house per person per category.

Entries

• One entry per member per class. You may enter one MOC in each of thee three classes (free build, microscale and rendering)
  • Entries are to be placed in the correct entry topic in this forum. Entries not in the correct entry topic are not eligible for voting.
  • You may create a separate topic for your creation in the specific theme forum (i.e not in the Digital Design forum), but you should also place your entry in the entry topic.
  • The entry post may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • Entries are to consist of no more than 6 posted pictures of 800x600 or smaller resolution (rendering contest only 1 picture). You may link to higher resolutions of course.
  • A little Photoshop is allowed for the picture, but only white balance, background editing etc. (except for the rendering category). The model itself should remain unchanged.
  • You must share your digital file in the free build and micro-scale class. This is both to allow other people do judge your digital techniques when voting, but also to share in the spirit of the community.
  • You don't have to share the file in the rendering class. On the other hand, in the rendering class, you must (if you win) share how you did the render (it doesn't have to be a detailed guide, but some tips and tricks at least).
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.

Free Build class rules

• You may build whatever you want, as long as it is some sort of house, building or construction where you'd like to live.
  • There is no size limit, but it would be nice if you could keep it within 100x100 studs.

Micro Build class rules

• You may build whatever you want, as long as it is some sort of house, building or construction where you'd like to live.
  • Maximum size is 30x30 studs.
  • Keep it micro, don't make something for minifigs. Think along the lines of the Architecture models (or smaller).

Rendering class rules

• You may use any technique or tools you want, as long as it's based on LDD or Ldraw.
  • You may not Photoshop the render (i.e. add lighting streaks or other post processing touch-ups). You may however re-size, downscale or sharpen the image and similar.
  • You entry consists of 1 picture.

Voting

After the contest has closed, we will gather all entries and we will open a public voting topic - one for the micro and one for the free-build. Rendering will be chosen by EB staff Voting details will be shared when the voting starts. Only member that were members at the date the contest started are eligible to vote. Staff members are also allowed to vote. More information will be shared when the voting starts.

This sounds like so much fun! My first contest on Eurobricks, too. I will definitely try to enter soon, but I just need to think...

Wow, this is like a dream contest to me! I LOVE building in LDD! This is going to be a ton of fun.

-Sci

I love architecture and love LDD so I guess that counts me in! Great contest!

Cheers

Rog

I'll probably participate in this one. I need a good excuse to get back into using LDraw. ^__^

I might give this a shot. I designed a "dream house" in an architectural drawing class in high school but my ideas were more ambitious than my design skills allowed for. Maybe in LDD I'll be able to finally create what I had envisioned!

OH NICE, I've been anticipating a contest or relay-build-type-thing for a while. I actually have a little mansion wot I shelved months ago (the BOM was going to require SILLY MONEY).

I doubt it'll be spectacular enough to win, but it'll give me an incentive to finish it and show it off. Looking forward to how a render would turn out too, maybe I'll be forced to reveal my unorthodox way of working with the results from POV-Ray!

Very hyped. Been wanting to do a structure in LDD for a long time and this seems like a good excuse.

Just to be clear, how realistic does the home have to be? Are fantasy or sci-fi themed builds acceptable?

Wow! This is awesome. I hope I get something up in time. :blush: I am a notoriously slow builder. :tongue:

Sounds like fun! A chance to get back into building. I might be a bit rusty but im definately gonna try it. Just one question though, I dont understand how we post it. Do we post the entry in a new thread or will there be a thread dedicated for these entries?

When I submit my entry (or maybe entries), would it be kosher to post a more thorough set of images on flickr? Then I could include a link along with the smaller images in my entry post. Thanks!

*Reads this topic, sreaming like a little girl*

*Puts every other build on hold*

*Begins building*

*Gets frustrated anyway. No huge building has popped out*

*Cries buckets*

*Gets excited again!*

O dear, I really would like to participate in this one. Good thing digital building receives some love too. The prizes look amazing too (although I would have not the slightest idea what brick i would pick...). And I like the different categories (microscale!!!). This sure will take up a lot of my time... But thanks in advance for this amazing contest.

On a side note, all the MOCs created for this contest could really boost the index of digital builds on this forum...

Best contest ever for people without enough bricks :classic:

Thanks everyone for your enthusiasm! :classic:

Some answers to the questions so far:

Very hyped. Been wanting to do a structure in LDD for a long time and this seems like a good excuse.

Just to be clear, how realistic does the home have to be? Are fantasy or sci-fi themed builds acceptable?

Well, it should be a home for you or me or anyone else as a human. So, you could make a spaceship (if you would like to live in a spaceship), but it shouldn't be some kind of warship with aliens on board: it should be a home. If it isn't clear enough (which is possible :grin: ), you can always send me or superkalle a pm with your idea to let it check if you're not sure. :classic:

Sounds like fun! A chance to get back into building. I might be a bit rusty but im definately gonna try it. Just one question though, I dont understand how we post it. Do we post the entry in a new thread or will there be a thread dedicated for these entries?

To enter, you post your entry in the correct entry topics. You can see them pinned too in the forum, just under this main topic: free-build, micro, rendering. You may also (if you want) post a topic of the model in the correct theme forum here on EB, but it won't have any impact on the contest, it's just like a normal moc you would show to the readers :classic:

When I submit my entry (or maybe entries), would it be kosher to post a more thorough set of images on flickr? Then I could include a link along with the smaller images in my entry post. Thanks!

As the rules say, you may add a max of 6 images (around 800x600) in your entry post. You may link to more or higher resolution pictures. Its just to keep the entry topic clean and readable :classic:

I just started to model my new home in Lego! Despite it being rather mundane, and perhaps not a "dream" house, I still will submit it with pride when finished, and maybe earn some points for similarities to the actual home. Very cool!

Great contest!

Do we have to make a model from each category or just a model from one if we want (I.e. can I only make a model from the first one or do I have to make a microscale version and rendered version as well) ?

I don't know if this was asked already, but if I made something in LDraw for the Free Build category and then I rendered it, could I enter the same build in the Rendering category as well? I'm guessing not, but I just want to make sure.