Sign in to follow this  
Diamondback

Tombstone, Ariz. Territory

Well, an old friend's latest book reignited my Tombstone geekout, so I'm starting to consider at least a digital rendering of the town in MLCAD, or at least the key sites. This one's gonna be a lot harder than passenger trains... at least most post-1900 American passenger cars were built to one of a handful of "standard bodies" with the major differences being windows, interiors and fittings.

Anyway, I'm pretty much starting this thread for research purposes, and as kind of a "notepad" where I can store thoughts and anyone else interested can either get what they can out of my own musings or add to them.

First off, property sizes and 'modules'...

Property in Tombstone generally came in two sizes: the "Standard Lot" was 30'x120', and the "Key Lot" (of which there were two to four per block) was 30'x150'. There were some oddities, like properties along the northeast-southwest portion of Charleston Road, and the small plots along Toughnut Street between First and Second.

Properties were plotted using at least three different designators per block on the map fragment that I have:

->Roman numerals mark the original townsite, I-VI

---I: bounded by Charleston Rd to the north, Survey to the south, Sumner to the west and First to the east

---II: across Charleston from I, northern edge is the southern property-lines of Grid Letter I.

---III: Across First from I, eastern edge is Second.

->Letters identify the Bowman addition--Virgil Earp's home was on Lot 1 of Block M (SW corner of First and Fremont), and the house of Wyatt Earp and Mattie Blaylock straddled the boundary of Lots 4 and 5.

->Arabic numbers mark another addition--not having the full city map prepared by Kelleher (and Arizona Historical Society REALLY doesn't like to share), I don't have the full story here.

Most of the real big events in Tombstone were in the band from Fremont Street in the north to Toughnut in the south, and back then it was advised that ladies and children not venture south of Allen Street, so most of what would need to be covered is along Allen.

So, key spots for this project...

->C.S. Fly's Lodging House, Fly's Photo Gallery and the Harwood House: Ground Zero. The gunfight really happened here, in Harwood's and Fly's yards, not in the nearby OK Corral itself.

->Occidental Saloon: site of the confrontation between Doc Holliday and Johnny Ringo.

->Campbell & Hatch's Billiard Parlor: Where Morgan Earp was murdered.

->Golden Eagle Brewery: Virgil's office was upstairs, and he was shot just outside on Fifth Street.

->Bird Cage Theatre: Site of most of the outlaw crowd and seedier side of town's preferred entertainment. Not yet open at the time of the Gunfight, and Curly Bill Brocius shot City Marshal Fred White behind the building next to the Bird Cage construction site.

->Oriental Saloon: Frank Leslie killed fifth gunman Billy Claiborne here.

->Schieffelin Hall Opera House: where the "civilized" folks went for entertainment.

->Courthouse

->City Hall

->Wells, Fargo office

The other problem is, a lot of the still-extant buildings (most burned in the fire of 1882) have been so altered that current photos and measurements are only useful for general size and basic layout.