Sign in to follow this  
kabel

The Walls of Valholl

Friends, Brothers, Fellow Mitgardians

Our beloved country is under attack by evil forces and we desperately need to protect the capital from the chaos that ensued. I therefore declare:

The Valholl Wall Community Build

This build is meant as a community effort to gain more points in the free build catagory. As of November 15th, Ecclesiastes was named Master Mason of Valholl

and Soccerkid Treasurer of the Valholl Mason's guild

as thanks for their contributions to the communal effort.

The task: On the base of this standard wall:

dscn1156.jpg

(The walls is 16 (or 8 studs) wide and 15 bricks high. More details here )

You are to build a scene that revolves around live along the walls of Valholl. The build is to be situated on a 16x16 or, in case your short on bricks, on a 8x16 base. You can build houses, garden plots, people having parties, fights or just any kind of life that takes place behind the walls of our beloved city. The livlier, the better!

Edit: Map with plots drawn by Ecclesiastes

Valholl

7881978466_0ba3d28b65_c.jpg

Wall parts:

1. The Commander's House kabel

2. The Stairs to the Wall kabel

3. The Patched Wall kabel

4. The Wheelwright kabel

27. Carpenter's Shop soccerkid

29. E.R.T Barracks soccerkid

Towers:

10. The Jarl's Mug Torgar

24. Tower of Valholl Ecclesiastes

28. Valholl tower Soccerkid

Gates:

19. The Omurtag Gate kabel

Edited by kabel

Interesting challenge, maybe Avalonia should do something like this :wink:

Edited by Legonardo Davidy

Entry 1 and 2:

The house of the guard's captain:

dscn1798.jpg

dscn1797.jpg

dscn1796.jpg

Stairs to the Wall:

dscn1800.jpg

dscn1801.jpg

The two pieces + another unfinished piece of standard wall connected together:

dscn1802.jpg

dscn1803.jpg

Great work on getting this started kabel :thumbup: Perfect timing, as I just finished my non-GoH build yesterday :classic:

The wall standard looks excellent, I'm looking forward to making several sections and hooking them together!

Really cool idea and the modular walls are great!

This looks like something I could have a lot of fun with. :classic:

Can we modify this version of the wall (adding details, tiles, etc.) or do we have to use exactly this one?

Right on guys, I'm glad you like this. Hopefully you can come up with a whole lot of good stuff. I also have one more piece to finish up.

@Buurli_Burri: Well, let's put it this way, your main focus should be on what it behind the wall. But of course, if you got a wall section in shambles, or people refurnishing it etc., it should do as well. However, it'd be cool if you more or less stuck to the standard wall. There is more freedom with towers or gates though!

I have changed my mind today! To spice this a little more, I will turn this into a competition and shell out a "Gandalf Arrives" set for the winner. Due date is the first of October. We'll see where this goes from there on!!

Edited by kabel

Cool to see a prize, I'm hoping to do 2 or 3 sections with one of them being a tower. Is it alright if I do it in all bley? I would do the dark bley accents but all of mine is in my Mount Doom MOC right now and I don't really want to have to take it apart. (I still need to finish taking apart my challenge IV entry :hmpf: )

Or I could use black accents :sceptic:

I have changed my mind today! To spice this a little more, I will turn this into a competition and shell out a "Gandalf Arrives" set for the winner. Due date is the first of October. We'll see where this goes from there on!!

Without the price it is already a great idea! I'll be back from my vacation the 27th so than I will start on some wall mocs. Btw great additions from yourself! :classic:

And I'm hoping there will be a title, because it's been a while since I got my last one :tongue:

@soccerkid: if you do have the pieces, go ahead and use them, if not all bley is cool too. I actually used the dark bley because I ran out of light bley :wink:

@eccles: I'm looking forward to your creations, especially you being the one to got me inspired!! As for a title, well I'm sure there is one in. The Jarl will have to tell though. Personally I have lost track of my titles, I know I'm bad citizen ...

@all Mitgardians: come on guys, the capital needs you, and this is something that you all can do. It actually doesn't consume that many bricks and that much time!!

I'll be building my wall sections next week, sorting LugBulk this weekend which gives me much more bley to build with :thumbup:

This looks interesting and I already have a brilliant idea for a wall section. Have to check if I got enough Bley first, since my collection is ok I guess, but I don't want to already tear down my Helms Deep. :wink:

Things are starting to pic up, great!!

A tip for all you wallbuilders out there:

With this set

5929-1.jpg

you actually get a lot of bricks that are very useful for castle building. Personally I've already bought half a dozen or so of these packs. Currently they sell for about 5-7 €, which is an extremely good deal!

With this set

5929-1.jpg

you actually get a lot of bricks that are very useful for castle building. Personally I've already bought half a dozen or so of these packs. Currently they sell for about 5-7 €, which is an extremely good deal!

You live in Germany, right?

I could recommend that you buy bricks via bricklink, and choose a store that is in your city, and then pick up packet personally (so, no shipping costs, and also, if you make a deal with seller that you do not need a receipt, no VAT (and with that you are one step closer to the Drow:)))). Seriously, I've been doing that for four years now, first I contact the seller and ask if that is a possibility - in 100% it is, then I make an order from my country, and a friend in Germany goes with money in hand, picks the packet and later send me via bus or friends - we are talking about large quantities of bricks.

Also, there is a bricklink shop named "bricksy" that has a flat shipping of 3e for Germany, meaning that no matter how much you order, shipping will be the same - fantastic offer, and he has a lot of bricks, and frequent sales

There, I hope I helped

With this set

We can't get that one here anymore. I have two, but more would always be better.

Also, there is a bricklink shop named "bricksy" that has a flat shipping of 3e for Germany, meaning that no matter how much you order, shipping will be the same - fantastic offer, and he has a lot of bricks, and frequent sales

bricksy is a great store, flat rate worldwide! Just watch out if your country has customs duties. I'm glad mine doesn't. :grin:

Wall section #3

Not all parts of the wall are in really good shape. Years ago some sections were breached by barbarian tribes. With the advent of the Jarl, Mitgardia had become pacified though, the broken sections were simply patched with wood.

dscn1842.jpg

This now being the potentially most dangerous place along the wall, the city guards decided to hire some orcs striving for naturalization to hold the piece. The government promised them full citizenship, if they remain undefeated in the upcoming battles.

dscn1839.jpg

Orcs are good fighters but rather dull. So standing on a wall waiting for something to happen is not really their thing ...

dscn1840.jpg

sections 2 and 3 connected:

dscn1844.jpg

dscn1846.jpg

Edited by kabel

@kabel: That looks great!Excellent work on the ruined wall :thumbup:

Should we start posting the wall builds as their own topics so they are counted as free-builds?

Well I guess we should at least pu the builds of each person into one thread, but still collect all of them here and post a summary on page one. So here's my forth entry and I'm out of light bley for good now ...

section #4: the wheelwright

dscn1847.jpg

dscn1848.jpg

sections 1 and 4 combined:

dscn1850.jpg

all sections combined:

dscn1852.jpg

Edited by kabel

Great builds so far guys! Soccerkid, you are working wonders with the one-color of grey in your walls while still avoiding the grey-wall syndrome.

kabel, I really like the lively scenes and the way every detail of the minifig's activities can be observed.

Let's hope to see more! :thumbup:

Kabel, you still need someone to make a map for the community build?! I could number the parts of the valholl map!

@eccles: It's good to see that your back, hope you had a nice vacation. As for the map, yes this would be great!

@eccles: It's good to see that your back, hope you had a nice vacation. As for the map, yes this would be great!

Yes I did, some nice hiking and canyoning in Austria but now I have to work again... But no working, no Lego! :tongue:

I'll try to finish te map this week. I won't build any wall parts untill Lego Fanwelt in Skearbeak is over, but that means I will still be in time for the deadline. So no worries, I will definitely enter!