Sign in to follow this  
Dreamweb

The pirate ship Albatross

thindexedgif.gif 61-a

This time I wanted to show you another ship built specifically for my comic series "Kings & Queens Of The Sea". It's the pirate vessel Albatross.

00.jpg

Back view (the lifeboat removed):

03.jpg

Don't be mistaken by the ship's name - the figurehead actually represents a dragon:

06.jpg

The ship is equipped with cannons of my own design:

10.jpg

See more pictures in the gallery HERE.

I love it! :pir-wub: The figurehead and cannons are great. I also like the 1x2x3 slope and 1x2x3 inverted slope next to each other as a way of easing out the corner :thumbup: You're also getting very good with photoshop (or whatever it is you use) :pir-laugh:

Only a few small nicks -

-No rigging/ratlines on rear mast?

-The ladder looks a little odd

-I'm not too big a fan of rails made from plates - I prefer tiles or a more intricate method (e.g. bars + skeleton legs)

Yay for antigravity! :pir-grin:

20.jpg

-No rigging/ratlines on rear mast?

-The ladder looks a little odd

Yes, the ratilnes on the main mast is something I feel the lack of as well... However I had to spare them for other ships. Because, unlike some other MOCs, I NEVER disassemble my ships (well, there used to be some exceptions but it was long ago :pir-classic: ). The ladder looks odd, but somehow it fits the overall sinister look of the ship IMO :jollyroger:

Edited by Dreamweb

Oops, looks like no-one indexed this! Done! :pir_laugh2:

Quick question, How difficult was it to swap the top sections of the boat hulls?

You may want to create a new thread about this; I'm not sure Captain Greenhair saw it in the Telesell thread.

I don't think that a 12-wide black hull top exists though... :shark:

Quick question, How difficult was it to swap the top sections of the boat hulls?

Not that hard - I even made a thread about that once, see HERE. :pir-classic:

I don't think that a 12-wide black hull top exists though... :shark:

What about this set?

12-wide black hull top exists, but a 16-wide does not.

Not that hard - I even made a thread about that once, see HERE. :pir-classic:

What about this set?

12-wide black hull top exists, but a 16-wide does not.

Ah yes, that pre-dates me :pir-grin:

And I was only thinking of Pirate ships when I posted, although I wondered how you got a black one; it didn't look painted...

I only have 16-wide hulls; I'll have to experiment with this, as they have more tabs underneath the hull, around a 2x6 area, instead of a 2x2...

Good ship, but I think you should have picked this picture for the presentation instead.

05.jpg

It's better in my oppinion, 'cause it gives a better overview.

Anyways: I'm not very fond of the grey colour-scheme.. it make's it look to much castle/stone-like I think.

Beside from that you've done a great job. I espcially like the cannons, which is very inventitative. :cannon: Could someone please index them? The figurehead is also very interesting.

I'd say Slyowl is right about the ladder. It looks a bit odd.

Edited by oDDerFisken

nice ship, oDDerFisken is right when he says that the grey colour-scheme make it look like a castle, but I like it ^^ and sometimes we don't really have the choice of colours.

I really love the way you built your canons, do you mind if I use the same for a MoC I'm doing ? ^^

I really love the way you built your canons, do you mind if I use the same for a MoC I'm doing ? ^^

Not at all, be my guest. :pir-classic:

Yes, the grey pieces look a bit "castle-like", but I'm trying to give each of my ships a different colour scheme and this time I chose a mixture of black, brown and grey. Overall I think the ship isn't very realistic, it has a certain "fantasy" or "fairy tale" look (partially thanks to the things you mentioned, like the colours or the strange-looking ladder, as well as the figurehead), and I don't think that's bad. :pir-classic:

I really like it. Especially the figure head. It is very original. Although, if anything, I would like to see light grey plates instead of black going the midships. It would just make it look more balanced.

Regards, Captain Zuloo :pir-laugh: