Sign in to follow this  
TwistLaw

A question about MOCing

Since I began MOCing I focused on creating characters with whom I could expand the G2 story. In order to do that I strived to use pieces released from 2011 onward -that is since CCBS was introduced-, especially pieces BIONICLE officially used since 2015.

To all the MOCers out there that build this way (of course those who mix G1 and G2 pieces are not concerned by my question) I ask: to which criteria do you resort when choosing CCBS pieces? I own some interesting add ons (like the flaming ones Fire Lord used) that don't appear in sets since years and are likely not do to that ever again. I use them anyway, but it bothers me to know that an official set wouldn't.

And I perfectly know this is a trivial question, no doubt, but I'd like to know how other people here handle this peculiar matter.

I think in general it wouldn't matter what pieces you use, so long as you can use them in a way that is consistent with CCBS principles and techniques. Look at the 2016 sets; they brought back a "pre-2011" piece, to use your criteria - the Skrall armor piece. But the way they integrate it and its overall form factor meshes well with the CCBS aesthetic, even if it wasn't designed specifically for that.

So if you can use a piece like that, it's okay, y'know?

I think in general it wouldn't matter what pieces you use, so long as you can use them in a way that is consistent with CCBS principles and techniques. Look at the 2016 sets; they brought back a "pre-2011" piece, to use your criteria - the Skrall armor piece. But the way they integrate it and its overall form factor meshes well with the CCBS aesthetic, even if it wasn't designed specifically for that.

Oh yeah, absolutely, infact I appreciated very much the reintroduction of classic pieces. The case of Guuhrak's staff is, in this sense, the most incredible: a piece that was last used five years earlier comes back in a colour that wasn't used since almost ten years. That's amazing, and I really wish they'll bring back more stuff. This will sure help G2 in having a wider array of pieces to use while keeping at bay the cost for new molds.

In general I consider canon pieces from G1 only those used in actual sets, but I may have some excpetions from now on.