Hey Joe

The 'Golden Age' of Lego, is it now?

When do you think that the 'Golden Age' of Lego was/is (or what will it take for it to be in the future)?

It just seems to me - perhaps I should say up front that I'm recently back from a very long time in the dark ages - that they're really producing some very cool sets these days. Have they hit their stride? Can this be considered a 'Golden Age' or would those of you more familiar with their previous offerings consider the some point in the past to be the peak?

Well I just got back into Lego in October, but it seems like right now could be a "Golden Age". I know this year has many themes that people have always dreamed of...LOTR, Superheroes. People love the new Monster Fighters theme, and Ninjago's selling well. SW is producing amazing set after amazing set too. There's not one Star Wars set I don't want right now! So yes, it might be a "Golden Age".

But, I know there's a big controversy over quality going on right now. TLG has an amazing Customer Support so I wouldn't be too worried. Just saying if anything's bad right now it's the issues over quality.

I’d have to say it was 2009 ish. They went from a sinking ship to product explosion with 6% of the global toy market, when Lucas released the Clone Wars Series and Lego already had the contract. Without that boom we wouldn’t be seeing the current lines. Lego would have probably slimmed down and stuck to mainly the classic space, castle, & town lines. :thumbup::sweet:

I have to agree with you there. 2009 was a great year, as the main themes (Pirate, Space, Castle, and Town) were all going strong. It had the new Pirates, a new Fantasy castle theme, and I might be wrong, and if I am, please correct me, it was either the first or second year for the Modular for town. In addition, there were the 10th anniversary sets for Star Wars, including the introduction of the battle packs.

For me and my personal connection with Lego, the golden age would be in the 1980's and early 90's.

Considering the set designs and Lego coming back to the top, I too would have to agree with 2009. This is the year TLG came out with many great sets.

Yes, I would say that right now is a Golden Age for Lego. Not sure when it started, but the brand is definitely doing very well at the moment. They have some pretty popular licenses going on, and their in-house themes such as Ninjago, Monster Fighters, and (most importantly :grin: ) Friends are doing exceptionally well too, not to mention all the awesome exclusives. The videogames, movies, and TV Shows are getting better and more popular as well, so it's all looking up. But who knows, maybe it will get even better at some point, so the true golden age might still be to come. :sweet:

I think most people think the Golden Age is whenever they were a kid. I personally think the golden age is now.

I have the impression that Lego is really doing very well these times. I'm not really sure if "The Golden Age" is a good way to put it, though. I would expect Lego's Golden Age to produce a lot of Lego#s own, super-successful themes. Right now does not seem to be that time. I sometimes wonder how much Lego is currently dependent on their franchise themes, i.e. Star Wars, Super Heroes, and soon Lord of the Rings. If the successful franchises one day decide to go to one of Lego's competitors, that might become... interesting.

Thankfully, it's not going to happen for another ten years with Star Wars.

Edited by legomr

As detailed as the printing is and all of the new specialty pieces that are available, I would agree with Sid Sidious and say the Golden Age is when I was growing up with Lego in the late 80s/ early 90s. Those sets were top notch for me. Maybe it was because everything was new and big for my little eyes and hands. The new licenses are great, but I do miss the old original themes. Seeing pictures of the old advertisements makes me feel really nostalgic. It's great to see where Lego was and where it is now. But I will always consider that period the "Golden Age."

In my book, the first Golden Age would've been 1978 to 1989. From the introduction of the minifigure to the first sets that used differently-printed "non-standard" heads. Even though I like a lot of the early Pirates sets (for example), I do think of the introduction of the different heads was LEGOs first step into their own Dark Age.

The second Golden Age would be right now, starting in about 2008/2009 and still going on and still getting better with every year. How long can they sustain it? Who knows, but I doubt we'll ever see another true Dark Age for LEGO a la the mid-90s to early 00s.

As detailed as the printing is and all of the new specialty pieces that are available, I would agree with Sid Sidious and say the Golden Age is when I was growing up with Lego in the late 80s/ early 90s.

Seeing pictures of the old advertisements makes me feel really nostalgic. It's great to see where Lego was and where it is now. But I will always consider that period the "Golden Age."

I totally agree, todays sets are truly awesome no matter what theme they come from but the sets from my youth, Classic Space, Futuron, Blacktron etc.... and the early Pirate stuff can never be beaten!

I totally agree, todays sets are truly awesome no matter what theme they come from but the sets from my youth, Classic Space, Futuron, Blacktron etc.... and the early Pirate stuff can never be beaten!

I concur. LEGO didn't rely on already popular media to drive the sales...and story of a theme. Add to what you mentioned, M-Tron, Space Police, all the great castles we got. It was all LEGO back then. I ate everything up back then. So, like early to mid 90's for me.

i believe the time frame i'm thinking of is the 80's and 90's. The time frame when there was all the awesome space, castle, and pirate stuff and best of all - NO FLICK FIRE MISSLE OVERLOAD. That's the stuff if i could have now, would blow nearly all my current lego sets out of the water.

At first, i couldn't see why the 80's and 90's sets are items people here are often talking about(especially when finding childhood collections) and buying/wanting to buy the sets. Well, i did the research and i can see why. I'd be in the "want to buy these sets" side if it wouldn't be for the fact I already plan on getting a 3DS XL and don't have have the funds to spare. Maybe one day.

IMO, we currently aren't in a golden age. The set quality is dropping, prices are jumping for no logical reason, and there are the problems going on with the superhero parts and the bricks in a monster fighter set along with the increase of missing/damaged parts in sets.

Edited by ACWWgal2011

Hard to say, I had many years as a kid with LEGO and loved it all, mostly the big technic sets. then a big gap and now I have kids and getting back into it all over again. There is so much now from the massive 8110 to the NXT its all really good. My boys are having a great time with the basic City sets and we will soon be playing with some trains.

I have to agree there is something about the time you first got into it that makes you feel that that was the golden age.

IMO, we currently aren't in a golden age. The set quality is dropping, prices are jumping for no logical reason, and there are the problems going on with the superhero parts and the bricks in a monster fighter set along with the increase of missing/damaged parts in sets.

Back in the 80s and 90s, if someone outside of your circle of friends were having quality problems. How exactly would you know?

*cough* No Internet *cough*

Also, I know that as a child I was far less picky about quality problems, so unless pieces didn't fit I doubt that would have stopped me from playing with them. I sure didn't care about slight color issues, if I even would have noticed them.

I wasn't buying Legos so I wouldn't have noticed price issues, and my parents wouldn't have told me. I haven't noticed across the theme price increases on non-licensed sets so its impossible to say how things would have been in the 80s/90s. I see it in City sets, but not so much in Creator or D2C sets.

Edited by gotoAndLego

I agree with those saying that the golden age of LEGO is right now, having begun in 2009. The sets, parts, minifigs and themes have pretty much been better than ever in this 3-year period - and the only thing I'd complain about is the price, as you get a lot less for your money these days than in the 80s/90s.

I used to think that the sets from my own childhood were the golden age... but after actually comparing those sets to new sets, I realised that it was just my nostalgia talking.

I would have to say thet right now is the golden age of LEGO, the only thing that would make me doubt this would be the quality problems on the CMF's and SH sets.

There has being in my opinion two 'Golden Ages', the first the 1980's and the second even shorter...2009. Both saw advances in town/city, space, castle, pirates, etc.,.

Yep, it started in about 2007, and is at its peak right now (its peak started in 2010). 2007 is around the time LEGO became popular again.

But that's just what I think. :grin:

I am going to say a little earlier, 2007 was the start of the current golden age, having great sets in City, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman and more.

Prior to that, the late 80s-early 90s.

I would say the early 90s was Lego's "Golden Age." Pirates and Castle were strong then. Western was also started.

In a way 2008-2011 could be considered as an small golden age, I think, but I agree with you for the current problems :sceptic:

For me the golden age is early 80s to early 90s (or even mid 90s), i.e. the sets I knew as kid :D (I am born in 1980)

I like all the town/city sets from that time, and the 12V gray trains, but the first 9V trains seemed nice too. One of my favourite sets is the 6397 from 1992: at that time the sets were still really good I think, nothing to compare with the end of 90s.