LEGO Train 12 Volts

MOC: BR 22-012

BR 22-012

2-8-2 Steam Locomotive

Hi everyone,

during last two months I worked on my new (and perhaps last forever :look: ) BR steam locomotive.

I'm proud to show you the beautiful BR 22-012 :wub:

br22-0012-002.jpg

br22-0012-003.jpg

This time I thought of something truly unique from the technical point of view to surprise you *oh2* ....this time I've implemented in a lego steam locomotive the Walschaerts Valve Gear :wub_drool:

br22-0012-021.jpg

[...] Walschaerts valve gear was invented around the same time as Stephenson valve gear but did not become popular until the very late 1800's. After that it quickly became the most popular valve gear on steam locomotives. It's main advantage was that it was located completely outside the wheels and therefore was much easier to maintain than Stephenson valve gear http://www.steamloco...s/valvegear.php [...]

br22-0012-029.jpg

[/url]

[/url]

to achieve this goal I have had to customize some pieces: :tongue:

br22-0012-022.jpg

br22-0012-023.jpg

br22-0012-024.jpg

br22-0012-025.jpg

br22-0012-026.jpg

br22-0012-027.jpg

br22-0012-028.jpg

The locomotive is driven by two motors with a high torque ratio, but I have left open the possibility to regear the transmission with less power in favor of the speed, replacing the black and white gears with the yellow and gray :wink:

br22-0012-020.jpg

as usual my version of this huge steam engine have real lights :wub:

br22-0012-045.jpg

br22-0012-041.jpg

turned On/Off by a switch and a separate battery

br22-0012-042.jpg

br22-0012-043.jpg

br22-0012-033.jpg

this locomotive swings a lot in the corners and on the switch points so I had to design a very flexible joint system

br22-0012-035.jpg

br22-0012-034.jpg

br22-0012-037.jpg

I am very satisfied with some details like the front that connects perfectly with the boiler

br22-0012-044.jpg

...the access steps to the boiler

br22-0012-030.jpg

...and rear windows of the tender

br22-0012-052.jpg

As always I have to thanks Toastie for providing me with the grooved XL-BBB wheels

overlord_wd42-023.jpg

...now enjoy the show... :laugh:

br22-0012-008.jpg

br22-0012-009.jpg

br22-0012-010.jpg

br22-0012-011.jpg

br22-0012-012.jpg

br22-0012-013.jpg

br22-0012-014.jpg

br22-0012-015.jpg

br22-0012-017.jpg

br22-0012-018.jpg

br22-0012-019.jpg

br22-0012-046.jpg

br22-0012-047.jpg

...I'll post as soon as possible the pictures of the complete locomotive with the latest details (some rigid hoses and other little pieces) when the Bricklink orders are delivered ! :sweet:

All the best LT12V!

br22-0012-016.jpg

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

Very impressive! I think you've got the movement spot on; very well engineered.

It's not something I'd put on my own trains in a hurry though. For me it's too disproportionally wide.

What made you pick the BR22? It's not the most obvious choice.

I am very impressed by this model. The gear is absolutely a work off art. The whole locomotive look absolutely stunning, very realistic. A hope you change your minde about this being your last one, ore are you planning building steamlocomotives from other nations? I hope so!

Hi LT12V,

beyond believe. As simple as that.

That mechanism is beautiful - it looks great to see all that movement - plus: Almost as in reality. You captured that perfectly well. Too bad you could not get real steam into the boiler and pistons - oh well, i guess if you really wanted, you would have done that as well ...

A beautiful model AND all that brilliant technology. Another master piece. Oh and look, the BR numbering scheme leaves you with dozens of further models to build!

Congratulations and hope to seeing more stunning models from you!

Best wishes,

Thorsten

Very nice looking model and great workmanship on the piston mechanism. Wonder what the next MOC thing is going to be after these great steam engines.

Very good to see that running. All that gearing is something that I struggle with a bit on my engines. I tend to go for ones that are a little simpler than yours as i can never fathom it out. Nice to see the video of it running as well!

What made you pick the BR22? It's not the most obvious choice.

Good question Duq, I've chosen the br 22 because it was long enough to insert the valve and quite different from the others BR that I've already built

You lost me at "possibly my last." :cry_sad: Not another one.

lol :rofl:

Wow!!

Thanks Zephyr, it would be great use your stuff

I am very impressed by this model. The gear is absolutely a work off art. The whole locomotive look absolutely stunning, very realistic. A hope you change your minde about this being your last one, ore are you planning building steamlocomotives from other nations? I hope so!

The sad truth is that I haven't more space in the layout to put new locomotives :sad:

...but thanks for the compliments! :classic:

Too bad you could not get real steam into the boiler and pistons - oh well, i guess if you really wanted, you would have done that as well ...

Thorsten

You are too kind my friend, but when I tried to build this engine in the past I always gave up ... I had to build seven locomotives before to reach this result :wink:

Very nice looking model and great workmanship on the piston mechanism. Wonder what the next MOC thing is going to be after these great steam engines.

Thanks! :sweet:

amazing and brilliant piston movement!

Oh Wow! Thanks! I really appreciate it.

Great Work! Pura Poesia!

Grazie infinite! :laugh:

Very well done. Magnificent. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks master!

Again a piece of art.

The valve gear is awesome! It is really nice to see it work.

Very good to see that running. All that gearing is something that I struggle with a bit on my engines. I tend to go for ones that are a little simpler than yours as i can never fathom it out. Nice to see the video of it running as well!

Thanks again for all these wonderful compliments :blush:

Fantastic build. I really envy you your creations and your layout. I hope one day I will be able to create something similar.

Fantastic build. I really envy you your creations and your layout. I hope one day I will be able to create something similar.

Wow would i like doing the same.

Beautiful locomotive LT12V (sounds like a Star Wars robot, doesn't it? :laugh: ). Among my favorite of locomotives are these big black and red engines reminding me of growing up with Marklin HO scale engines. You've become a real expert in design this style of locomotives in LEGO, esp. with your Walschaerts Valve Gear design - well done!). Your added videos compliment the train nicely allowing us to see it in action. I really like the lights as well. It certainly took you some work to complete this train project and the finished model is superb. I'd love to see something like this as the next hobby steam train from LEGO similar to the Emerald Night. Excellent! :thumbup:

Another fantastic loco LT12V! The valve is very unique to build i n LEGO. I'm happy to see you pull it off, then again, I suppose a lot of us are! Very well done :classic:

Edited by LEGO Guy Bri

Dear LEGO Train 12 Volts,

I really like your BR22-012 design! :classic::wub:

I am quite surprised you managed to get it running on a single M-motor.Very well done! :thumbup:

From the pictures I see the free flowing axle found a new interesting implementation.

I really like the 1 stud wide design for the joint connection. :classic:

The Walschaerts valve gear is an interesting touch to a sweet design, which I will study more closely.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Wow would i like doing the same.

Another fantastic loco LT12V! The valve is very unique to build i n LEGO. I'm happy to see you pull it off, then again, I suppose a lot of us are! Very well done :classic:

Stunning engineering.

Thanks guys, I have been really overwhelmed by all the positive feedback I have received! :blush:

May be I will make a new BR for your enthusiasm :tongue:...also my wife is calling me for another! :rofl:

Beautiful locomotive LT12V (sounds like a Star Wars robot, doesn't it? :laugh: ). Among my favorite of locomotives are these big black and red engines reminding me of growing up with Marklin HO scale engines. You've become a real expert in design this style of locomotives in LEGO, esp. with your Walschaerts Valve Gear design - well done!). Your added videos compliment the train nicely allowing us to see it in action. I really like the lights as well. It certainly took you some work to complete this train project and the finished model is superb. I'd love to see something like this as the next hobby steam train from LEGO similar to the Emerald Night. Excellent! :thumbup:

Thanks TheBrickster your words are like receiving a medal for bravery, I really appreciate it! :excited:

Dear LEGO Train 12 Volts,

I really like your BR22-012 design! :classic::wub:

I am quite surprised you managed to get it running on a single M-motor.Very well done! :thumbup:

From the pictures I see the free flowing axle found a new interesting implementation.

I really like the 1 stud wide design for the joint connection. :classic:

The Walschaerts valve gear is an interesting touch to a sweet design, which I will study more closely.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Hi Teddy,

all my BR locomotives and also the new BR22 would certainly not have existed without your first masterpiece! :wink:

The one stud wide design of the joint connection was the only possible solution to not derail during the change of direction.

Note

The M-motors are two ...like in the BR01-1075

What a great engine! Thank you for sharing all the details!

Nice Steamer LEGO Train 12 Volts, the valve gear detail is amazing, looks awesome running in the videos!

Thanks Asper and DmChylde! :classic:

This week-end I will post the pictures of the MOC complete ...last Bricklink orders were delivered! :sweet:

Now that's a steam train......and cheeky you with a hobby knife eh ? :devil:

AWESOME engineering...that running gear is almost too much........'LT12V' your best work yet dude......Brick On ! :moar: