SpiderSpaceman

Comic-Con minifigures

I've got something that it seems to me would be Lego Ambassador territory:

I don't want to miss out on a superheroes character. I don't even wanna miss out on a variation of a character that might appear else-wise. For instance, if they were to make an original look Storm for wide release but make a mohawked Storm as a comic-con giveaway, I would be heartbroken. I cannot think of a comic book character they could make that a kid would not want.

Can we at least ask that they bring exclusive figures to.. More comic conventions? (New Orleans would rock.)

Sadly I'm sure there is a minimum order. SDCC is the biggest in US and probably the world. New Orleans is probably not big enough. Does Lego even show up at New Orleans? I mean even NYCC does not have a Lego presence.

Edited by Solscud007

I also want to have every single superhero mini figure and all its variations too.

The only problem is that there is no way I'll cough up the money for a SDCC figure off of Ebay. :wacko:

I mean even NYCC does not have a Lego presence.

You could be right but I am not sure as the Green Lantern minfig was given away as a promo at both San Diego and NY comic con. It could have been DC who distributed the figs to the fans.

The only problem is that there is no way I'll cough up the money for a SDCC figure off of Ebay. :wacko:

Yes I agree the exclusive figures are way too expensive. We can only hope for the theme to continue to 2013 and beyond.

I agree. What i would really like to see is figures like Green Lantern Being around in the UK as they usually are only at conventions in the USA and Canada. :cry_sad:

Sadly I'm sure there is a minimum order. SDCC is the biggest in US and probably the world. New Orleans is probably not big enough. Does Lego even show up at New Orleans? I mean even NYCC does not have a Lego presence.

Never. We don't have a lego store or anything, but they totally used us as a major miniland location. Master model builders have all sorts of new orleans under their belts that would be fantastic display in the actual tourist location. Wut gives.

And NYCC is exactly what I'm talking about. They did distribute the same "comic con exclusive" figures there last year. So if you're covering east coast and west coast already, why not help out some kids who can't travel that far and hit southeast too? I'm sure it would boost attendance for the new orleans comic con, because it is a less famous convention, and I'm sure they'd love to get a bit of an extra credibility, extra draw for fans to show up, and local publicity for the comics industry.

(Everybody's heroes are the heroes of Marvel and DC, but there are independent artists who can do great work outside the bounds of franchise perpetuation. Anyone who's ever had dreams of telling epic fiction/making comics should have a bit of camaraderie with these folks.)

God knows San Diego doesn't need the extra draw because they are world-famous, and every other exhibitor already does exclusives - Lego could be the non-evil exception and have more of a "tour" mentality, just like a concert tour sell tour t-shirts that tell everybody "look, I went to see RUSH on one of these limited number of appearances! My socks were rocked off." It's still something you can only get if you make the effort, but it's not so (br)ickish.

And I understand that with art prints, you can only make a certain number of prints and give the buyer this lovely proof that says xx of 100, but why should Lego buy into that? Not that minifigures aren't fantastic works of art, and in fact far more artfully designed and styled than any hoity-toity vinyl designer toys, but Lego has never been one to lord over it. Even when they started blind-packing the Collectible Minifigures, they didn't charge $10 a pop and put them in rigid cm*cm*cm boxes.

And yes, the stateside exclusivity is another very good reason to adopt a touring exclusives model, and one of the main reasons I was compelled to beg.

the end.

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

There are lots of companies that will offer a limited number of con exclusives online for their fans that can't make every convention. IMHO, Lego should adopt such a model.

I'm not a completitionist per se. I don't suffer if there is an impossible to get super expensive exclusive minifig that I'm not that interested in. However, I do have a few complaints.

For one thing, the figs that have been released as exclusives appeal to many, many, many fans, far much more than the amount of figs produced. The case is worst with Green Lantern, which we haven't got in a set yet. I'm bothered that Lego is making too many interesting figs as exclusives, leaving many of us who love the company's products unable to enjoy them. In my opinion, they could make exclusives in a more limited way, but at this rate I feel they are abusing of fans.

Just my thoughts.

If anything I would suggest the opposite.

If LEGO did more shows, there'd be even MORE rare figures, as they do a special one for EACH con.

EG SDCC had Green Lantern :wub: and fancy Batman :wub:

NYCC had Superman....

If they started going to more cons, they would likely create even MORE exclusive figures - that would be very expensive to get.

While it's possible that LEGO start releasing some of these online - I don't think they're in the same position as some of the regular 'con' companies - those companies make their money off the rabid fans - those rabid fans may or may not be able to make the exclusive cons - so they market them online.

LEGO on the other hand (despite what we may think) are marketed towards children...

If anything I would suggest the opposite.

If LEGO did more shows, there'd be even MORE rare figures, as they do a special one for EACH con.

EG SDCC had Green Lantern :wub: and fancy Batman :wub:

NYCC had Superman....

If they started going to more cons, they would likely create even MORE exclusive figures - that would be very expensive to get.

While it's possible that LEGO start releasing some of these online - I don't think they're in the same position as some of the regular 'con' companies - those companies make their money off the rabid fans - those rabid fans may or may not be able to make the exclusive cons - so they market them online.

LEGO on the other hand (dispute what we may think) are marketed towards children...

Hardly. NYCC had the same superman as the wide release set, in addition to the exact same figures given out at SDCC.

And not to sass a mod, but what on Earth are you trying to say in the last two paragraphs?

Rabid rabid fans go out of their way (maybe to conventions, maybe getting scammed in resales) to have collectibles. Lego shouldn't make their fans (kids and more) go out of the way. I'm sure many more parents would shell out 4 bucks and shipping for a cool little figure than take their kid across the country (or world) to a big old convention.

For one thing, the figs that have been released as exclusives appeal to many, many, many fans, far much more than the amount of figs produced. The case is worst with Green Lantern, which we haven't got in a set yet. I'm bothered that Lego is making too many interesting figs as exclusives, leaving many of us who love the company's products unable to enjoy them. In my opinion, they could make exclusives in a more limited way, but at this rate I feel they are abusing of fans.

Precisely! Which has never been Lego's style - otherwise, they're notedly huge on the customer satisfaction issue.

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

Hardly. NYCC had the same superman as the wide release set, in addition to the exact same figures given out at SDCC.

And not to sass a mod, but what on Earth are you trying to say in the last two paragraphs?

Rabid rabid fans go out of their way (maybe to conventions, maybe getting scammed in resales) to have collectibles. Lego shouldn't make their fans (kids and more) go out of the way. I'm sure many more parents would shell out 4 bucks and shipping for a cool little figure than take their kid across the country (or world) to a big old convention.

Sorry! I assumed you were interested getting the whole 'package' that included the backing - which would be distinct between cons. But if you're interested in simply the then my point is mute.

Sorry again - the point I was trying to make is that a lot of the collectable dealers at comicbook conventions deal with exclusives - and charge premium for them - thus it makes business sense to open up the sales to online fans who aren't going to the conventions.

LEGO on the other hand is NOT into that same market - they're still a toy company - their activities at these cons aren't money making opportunities - it's about getting press and hype about upcoming releases - hence why they GIVE away the figs opposed to selling them.

Yes LEGO now has "collectable minifigs" but really they're mass produced single runs - not really the same league as say a fancy masterpiece transformer variant that is in the 100 or 1000's in quantity.

In my opinion - yeah it'd be great - I'd totally buy them if they were offered - but it's probably more hassle than it's worth for LEGO to try to do something like ...

In my opinion - yeah it'd be great - I'd totally buy them if they were offered...

You'd buy them even with how rare they are now. :wink:

Lego shouldn't Limit the figures available in future sets like this

Now if they want to make a VERSION of the Phoneix, Venom, Bizzaro, & Shazaam figures for SDCC 2012 that is fine

But don't be like last year and say we won't make Green Lantern in an official lego set

Common - hello he is probably due for another movie that is just dumb business

You can make him in a slightly different suit etc.

But don't say he is only ever going to be available in this SDCC exclusive

Phoneix is a major player so is Bizzaro

It would be shooting themselves in the foot to do this. Both Characters are relatively well known

If they did a MODOK or some other obscure 3rd stringer that would be fine but not a 1st string villain or hero...

The solution would be to use the same "exclusive" show figures for the exclusive Lego.com/Lego store purchase bonuses on special days. This way there is at least an opportunity for the Lego fans to reasonably acquire them. I don't think they have ever encountered anything quite like the blowback that is starting to build over the exclusive 1000 each figs from this years show. The Comic and Superhero properties are a very different fan animal then even the Star Wars fans. The Star Wars fans while they like neat figures, don't get resentful of things like special chrome stormtroopers or Darth Vader. They can even forgive a rare shirtless Darth Maul. But tell the Comic Book fan "No Jean Grey for you unless you are one of the lucky chosen few!" Yeah! That's gonna cause some really bad feelings. At that point the marketing is doing far more harm then good.

I don't think they have ever encountered anything quite like the blowback that is starting to build over the exclusive 1000 each figs from this years show.

Exactly! this is why we need to vocally add to the complaints - this practice is still new enough that they can react in some way if they really get an earful. (unlike horrible companies like blizzard)

The solution would be to use the same "exclusive" show figures for the exclusive Lego.com/Lego store purchase bonuses on special days.

Oh, oh! Four figures: Do it like Toys R Us' "Bricktober" promotions. Freebie of the week, different each week, for a month. Set a low-ish bar for purchases so people can ignore the guilt :grin:

...If you REALLY feel the need for the figures, get them off eBay or BrickLink... Completest collectors are what eBay was made for, after all.

Personally, I've always appreciated the fact that LEGO makes exclusives for various events. (Team GB minifigures, anyone?) Even if I, personally, am not able to get them, it's a wonderful experience for those who can. Why take it away from them?

...If you REALLY feel the need for the figures, get them off eBay or BrickLink... Completest collectors are what eBay was made for, after all.

Personally, I've always appreciated the fact that LEGO makes exclusives for various events. (Team GB minifigures, anyone?) Even if I, personally, am not able to get them, it's a wonderful experience for those who can. Why take it away from them?

I agree 100%. They'll probably release different versions in the future, like with Iron Man and Capt. America anyway.

Can someone clarify about NYCC? I was there last year but only one day. I don't recall seeing Lego there. Who was giving out the Lego fig? Was it Green Lantern? I hope to get this years SDCC at NYCC then if they repeat their offering.

Edit, I just saw so etching online that says DC booth was giving them away. Damn I'm on a mission now haha. But since this year is a mix of marvel and dc mini figs will I have to go to Marvel and DC to get Venom and bizarro? I guess so.

Edited by Solscud007

I'm just going to quote myself from the 2012 Superheroes Rumours & Discussion thread:

Even though FBTB states that "these figures will NOT be available in any future set", I still hope that this is not the case.

I completly despise the CC exclusive figures. I see myself as a collector and also really like the figures, but it is impossible for me to fly to America every year to visit the CC only to get the chance to get these exclusive figures Lego bashes out every year. Toy Fair figures tend to reappear in events of stores. Some figures come with videogames. I'm fine with the later two, because they are not bound to one place. I have a Lego Store an hour away from me. You might say that I should buy CC figures from brickset then, so that I don't have to fly to America, but the price of those rare figures is so high that I could just take that flight for a holiday.

Lego should definitely change their distribution of figures. I'm fine when the figures appear 1 or even 2 years later in a set, but as far as it looks, the figures of this year and also the ones of last year (Iron Man and Cap) will never be seen again. And this is what disturbs me.

Source

I also agree with the point that the figures picked are fan favourites and just like The Blue Brick, I also want every character in every variation.

If you say I should start scratching up that money for the figs from ebay of bricklink, I must say that I'm just a poor schoolar. Why should I have to save 2 months of pocket money, just to buy 1 Lego minifigure (I get 50€ a month, what already is quite a bunch, but as I'm doing my drivers license, I'm broke at the end of the month).

It is als just about the distribution of the figs.

If there would be more of the figs, or even just the notice, that they will return in a later set, the prices in the second hand market would sink. Maybe someone like me, without a high income, can aquire the fig and is happy. :)

I honestly hope that Legos first priority is still their customers happiness.

Edited by KazeMonsuta

good god, you are a troll.

It's not taking anything away from someone by wanting the same enjoyment equally available for others.

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

He's making a point that makes perfect sense.

I thoroughly dislike the mentality that "missing out" on something is a reason that something shouldn't exist in the first place. In my opinion there's no difference between not having a figure because it is super-rare/exclusive and not having a figure because it doesn't exist. LEGO collecting isn't a competition, so there's no reason to feel sore if other people have something you don't.

Now, there's a possibility that the existence of a Comic-Con exclusive figure might preclude TLG releasing a figure of the same character design again in a wider release, but there's no way to know that for sure. The Superman figure from Comic-Con last year ended up showing up in the regular DC Universe Super Heroes sets, while the Batman and Green Lantern figures from the event did not. Meanwhile, with relatively obscure characters like Bizarro, who's to say TLG would ever put them in sets even if they hadn't been released as event-specific exclusives?

Going one step further, what makes exclusive figures like this any different than third-party custom figures produced in limited quantity? I've seen a number of high-quality custom figures I would enjoy owning, and most of the time that opportunity isn't available to me. Sometimes these are figures that will likely never be released in any considerable quantity, either by third-party customizers or by TLG themselves. But in the end all that amounts to is a figure I've gone all my life without owning, and there's no reason I can't continue to do without it.

It's not taking anything away from someone by wanting the same enjoyment equally available for others.

In my experience, a lot of the joy that comes from owning an exclusive minifigure is crawling into a dark cave, fondling it, and hissing "My pressshioussssss...". (Although, maybe that's just me....)

A version of any of these minifigures made widely available removes from their appeal... Anybody can own a Superman minifgure now, but when he was only available at NYCC, he was "special". The entire point of the exclusive minifigures is to be a marketing gimmick- to raise awareness and anticipation of the Super Heroes sets. Judging by the reactions of most of the people here, it's working astonishingly well.

If you want LEGO to stop making exclusive minifigures like these, stop complaining about them.

Because anybody who has an opinion that you disagree with is automatically wrong. Must be nice.

In my experience, a lot of the joy that comes from owning an exclusive minifigure is crawling into a dark cave, fondling it, and hissing "My pressshioussssss...". (Although, maybe that's just me....)

I feel a bit offended by that.

Whatsoever, I hope the thread does not go into the direction of completly destroying the concept of exclusive figures.

But I think it should be acceptable, to actually want figures with a larger distribution. Europe is, as far as I know, completly left out with these figures.

Whatsoever, I hope the thread does not go into the direction of completly destroying the concept of exclusive figures.

But I think it should be acceptable, to actually want figures with a larger distribution. Europe is, as far as I know, completly left out with these figures.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, just pointing out:

*cough*TeamGBMinifigures*cough*