Ralph_S

Dutch Police Eurocopter EC135 helicopter

indexed.gif V-A-2A

As usual, I have no idea where to put this. Model Team? Creator? City? Who knows?

I built this model for an article for LEGO's Master Builder Academy Issue 4. By now it has been out for a while, so I can finally publish my pictures.

For years the Dutch Police used the classic Bo-105, but by the turn of the century those were getting a bit long in the tooth. In 2001, eight MD902 Explorers were ordered as replacements, but MD helicopters had difficulties meeting the requirements on time. With all the stipulated equipment, the helicopters were overweight and had to be recertified, which took longer than intended. The contract was cancelled in 2005 and six EC135s and two AW139s were bought instead and all delivered in 2009. They are based at Schiphol Amsterdam airport and at two other fields (Teuge and Volkel).

6596254985_deedc55355.jpg

Dutch Police EC135 (1) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

The EC135 has been a great success for Eurocopter, with helicopters having been sold for Police and Air Ambulance roles all over the world.

6596252575_58d5499191.jpg

Dutch Police EC135 (3) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

The first version of the helicopter had a fenestron/ fantail similar to the design I used on my HH-65 Dolphin. However, I remembered that I had a few propellers lying in my drawer of 'parts that don't fit in any meaningful other category' and I figured that it would fit. It doesn't turn very well, but looks far better.

6596247731_650c31caf5.jpg

Dutch Police EC135 (5) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

The big challenge when building this helicopter was the cockpit section, with the glass nose and doors. The EC135s have an extensive equipment fit for the law-enforcement role, with a cockpit interior that is compatible with night-vision goggles, weather radar, a PA system, cable-cutters, a dedicated workstation for an observer -including a 20 inch computer monitor, an IR turret, night-sun searchlight and a real-time video down-link facility to share images with police on the ground.

6596248509_622d1207a3.jpg

Dutch Police EC135 (4) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

I hope the members of Eurobricks like it and would like to wish you all a happy 2012.

Cheers,

Ralph

I love it Ralph! Per usual, I can't find any faults, so let me be the first (on this forum) to congratulate you on a perfect build!

Brick on,

Dakar

Work of a brick-building genius......and it looks minifig scale so I guess it can stay here.....moderators might think otherwise though ? :laugh:

Totally AWESOME work again from you 'Ralph_S'.......Brick On Fly On ! :classic:

Thanks guys. When I was asked to write something for the magazine, they specifically asked for non-military models. Most of my helicopters are military, however, and I felt that the two non-military models I had didn't really show what's possible. I spent a long time thinking about what I was going to build. When I finally decided to build this, I wasn't at all sure whether I was going to be able to pull it off. Many of my builds go off without a hitch. I start building and pretty much go from start to finish in one go, without having to go back and make changes to the bits that I've already built. This wasn't one of those. The nose cam together quite quickly, but the aft part of the fuselage underwent a few rebuilds.

It's hardly minifig scale. In fact, it's about twice as large as I would consider appropriate for minifigs. I'm not quite sure whether LEGO Town is explicitly for minifig scale stuff though, but I'm pretty sure that the participants in the town forum are most likely to appreciate the model.

Cheers,

Ralph

Edited by Ralph_S

Awesome.

Your huge amount of details is always impressive. And the Fenestron is looking Great!

Felipe

Edited by Phred
Deleted the three duplicate posts.

Thanks everyone. Obviously the larger scale helps with the details and the interior. I couldn't have done this in minifig scale.

Cheers,

Ralph

It's hardly minifig scale. In fact, it's about twice as large as I would consider appropriate for minifigs. I'm not quite sure whether LEGO Town is explicitly for minifig scale stuff though, but I'm pretty sure that the participants in the town forum are most likely to appreciate the model.

I agree, which is why I have worked to index your models such as these. :thumbup:

There are also miniature models compared to MF's. Until I am told otherwise, I'll continue to index these great MOCs.

Awesome.

Your huge amount of details is always impressive. And the Fenestron is looking Great!

Felipe

I had deleted your three duplicate posts. Do not post the same thing four times in a row!

Thank you for your future cooperation.