So it's been a long time since I've done any building that wasn't an out-of-the-box set, and I quite liked the challenge of the C-Model contest from a while back (TC5 was it?), so I figured that was where I'd pick up...

When I first saw images of 42038, I figured that it would probably have a snow groomer as its B-model. We got something different instead, which was great, but I decided to have a bash at a snow groomer myself anyway.

27407858862_5f2c76d91a_c.jpg

I tried to get as much functionality as possible, at least similar to what the real thing might have.

Features are:

• The front blade can be raised and lowered with a mini LA, controlled via the 2-point gearbox behind the cab
  • The rear blade can be raised and lowered with a mini LA, controlled via the 2-point gearbox
  • The front blade can be tilted left and right from a control behind the cab
  • An extendable winch, which can rotate 360 degrees via the control at the back

On with the gratuitous photos:

27472310626_0935e07fc8_c.jpg

Front and rear blades raised.

27407848402_bc31e150ea_c.jpg

The controls. The nearest operates the gearbox, while the middle tilts the front blade.

26897427964_080b9be9af_c.jpg

The front blade raise and tilt mechanism.

26897443054_439e7e8a35_c.jpg

The rear blade in the lowered position.

26897445314_48ac5ea680_c.jpg

The winch controls.

26897426274_edfc34eee7_c.jpg

26898891033_60a15fcfc7_c.jpg

All photos available in full size on my Flickr.

Hope you all like it :classic:

I like it a lot. Nice functions. And I tthink it looks better than the A model of this set

I like this one sooooo much more than the A or B models. It's quite visually pleasing. Great work with the given parts!

Very nice! The stickers on the small black panels work very well on the blade. I like the functions, too.

Woww, big compliments, really nice model, i just bought this set for parts, i like the main model but prefer yours to the b model, it's a better arctic theme model ;)

This is Awesome! Lego should get afol to create a c model for each set then Release instructions. Got any video of the functions?

Wow. This is realy great c model. I just like it with all this functions an the design is realy fantastic.

Great job.

I spend my winters working as a ski instructor, so I see a lot of these machines. I think that you've got the shape and proportions spot on, especially considering you've limited your palette of parts. I like the neatly built functions, which are just the ones that I'd want if this was an official LEGO set. I also agree with other people who've commented here: I think that this looks far better than the "A" model!

Thanks for the comments folks :classic:

I didn't have any plans on making instructions, but if I can find the time I might be able to put together an LDD.

I did quite consciously factor the stickers into this build, as I figured they'd fit with the theme.

Very good C-model, looks better then the original.

Great C Model, I was planning to build one last year but I didn't had enough ideas on how to make it looking great like yours.

I'm planning a C Model exhibition for the next month (because we are tired of the classic A/B Models :P), with credits to all the original creators, I would be really happy to have your creation on the table ;)

My compliments. Great pieces of work. This is official A-Model quality. I second the earlier thought that this should have been the sets' A-Model and the Arctic truck the B-Model.

Since I don't really have time to create instructions, I'm putting together an LDD of it instead. Hopefully it shouldn't take too long (I normally do it the other way around - design in LDD before building in real bricks). Not sure where I can host it though...

I'm planning a C Model exhibition for the next month (because we are tired of the classic A/B Models :P), with credits to all the original creators, I would be really happy to have your creation on the table ;)

I'd be happy for it to be there :sweet:

Not sure where I can host it though...

You could always load the .ldx file here if it's not too big, in the LDD section they do it a lot :classic:

Not had much time of late but I've managed to cobble together an LXF, which I've attached to this post. When I get chance I'll stick it on Rebrickable.

Some notes:

• The door panels in the cab are 1 stud higher in the LXF than on the model, so move them down by one when building. They fit fine, it's just the angle in LDD is hard to line up.
  • The mini LAs are not connected to their implements but it should be pretty clear where they go.

42038 SnowGroomer.lxf

Edited by Wiseman_2