Turaga of Force

Where do Rare/HTF Parts come from?

There are lots of parts available on BrickLink in "special colors," especially from MAGICBRICKS and Old Lego parts & sets, both of which are located in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. Are these prototypes? How do these come into the hands of collectors? There is also the blue Knight visor: http://www.bricklink...&itemID=8113490

Thanks! PM me or post please if you have ANY help or advice or knowledge! Thanks a lot!

Dylan

Starwars4J gave a good answer here. In short prototypes are the biggest reason. I have heard that Lego do a batch with every colour to test for strength, although you would think the clear ones would produce the best data.

Edited by Sinner

So sometimes a part is made in a certain color specifically for a LUG event? But what about parts like the blue visor? Only 1 is available, and its not red or clear...

I completely agree with Sinner, but they could possibly be custom or fakes, the seller should notify that. It isn't probably paint, for it wouldn't be that shiny. I think they are prototypes, unfinished ones, left behind.... neglected.... ( If anyone was wondering why I haven't posted within the past days I was on vacation and had no access to a computer.)

So sometimes a part is made in a certain color specifically for a LUG event?

To be honest, that is the first time I have ever heard of that, but I can't see any reason for him to make it up. Starwars4J has some much desired rare parts, including the red Darth Vader helmet, so he should have more experience in this issue than me.

But what about parts like the blue visor? Only 1 is available, and its not red or clear...

As I said, I have heard all colours are done. Perhaps they do it to test them out in new sets, perhaps some colours are weaker at compression and some are weaker at shearing, I don't know. I would love to hear from anyone who knows the answers first hand, but that probably breaks confidality agreements. :'-(

Where do rare parts come from? When a rare daddy LEGO part and a rare mommy LEGO part really love each other...

:-P

Where do rare parts come from? When a rare daddy LEGO part and a rare mommy LEGO part really love each other...

I suspected the same, but have you seen this first hand? ;-)

How about when a rare parent and a regular parent really love each other. Result: ?

I suspected the same, but have you seen this first hand? ;-)

No, but I keep an infrared camera in my LEGO room, just in case. I also built them a lounge...

How about when a rare parent and a regular parent really love each other. Result: ?

:-| rare is the recessive gene...

So sometimes a part is made in a certain color specifically for a LUG event? But what about parts like the blue visor? Only 1 is available, and its not red or clear...

Yeah, I've seen the blue visor but I've never heard of it. Blue isn't normally a color used for prototypes (red and trans-clear are normally what's used) so that is either a very odd special color (normally when they produce special colors for events like LUG events they're made in enough quantities so that there are a few in circulation at a time), or it's a fake...

I completely agree with Sinner, but they could possibly be custom or fakes, the seller should notify that. It isn't probably paint, for it wouldn't be that shiny. I think they are prototypes, unfinished ones, left behind.... neglected.... ( If anyone was wondering why I haven't posted within the past days I was on vacation and had no access to a computer.)

This is entirely possible. How hard would it be for someone to paint a part and call it a rare part? Remember to check their feedback in advance, and see how reliable they are. Asking around never hurt either. I've been tempted by the blue visor, but something's just telling me to stay away from it.

As I said, I have heard all colours are done. Perhaps they do it to test them out in new sets, perhaps some colours are weaker at compression and some are weaker at shearing, I don't know. I would love to hear from anyone who knows the answers first hand, but that probably breaks confidality agreements. :'-(

Well you were right about trans-clear being the most common, and it makes sense. Red was also used, but that's mainly for the older parts (such as the ghost shroud), I guess because the stress marks would show in a stark contrast against the red, or maybe red was just cheaper back then than it is now.

I believe it does have to do with what you mentioned though, dyes do have differing molecular structures may make a difference. I'm not sure.

There was a pretty big discussion on CC a while back about an automotive spray (like paint) that would actually bond to plastic premenately altering the color. If done properly it would not leave any marks of any kind or distort the plastic at all.

Why do people want some parts in these colors though? I can see having something like white hair which is a natural color but rare but a blue visor. After every complained about KK for the last few years and now they would want bright blue or green parts for there knights? Silly if you ask me.

Of course this could be one of those items used for bragging rights. As if a little bit of plastic could make someone better or superior to someone else. That is like people finding something and then flaunting it. I might be impressed if they actually made it but finding or buying it means nothing.

There was a pretty big discussion on CC a while back about an automotive spray (like paint) that would actually bond to plastic premenately altering the color. If done properly it would not leave any marks of any kind or distort the plastic at all.

Well this is a relatively new process that they've taken up, which is why (I believe) they just use trans-clear now-a-days

Why do people want some parts in these colors though? I can see having something like white hair which is a natural color but rare but a blue visor. After every complained about KK for the last few years and now they would want bright blue or green parts for there knights? Silly if you ask me.

Of course this could be one of those items used for bragging rights. As if a little bit of plastic could make someone better or superior to someone else. That is like people finding something and then flaunting it. I might be impressed if they actually made it but finding or buying it means nothing.

Well, it's not all bragging rights and that kind of shallow stuff. Some people are just collectors. I'm a collector :-P You don't have to show it off and go "hahaha look what I got" for it to make you happy, being a collector means that having it makes you happy. It may not make sense to a MOCist, but it makes sense to us :-) Just a matter of personal taste. Of course some people will brag about it, but that's human nature to a degree, the same way that some people might brag about their MOCs

on this issue i have done some research as well, and asked the sellers themselves, as to where they get the special colors. the answer i was given was the same as all ready stated, but i will verify... test runs in red and trans-clear. and special events.

the sellers who are offer these special pieces, MAGICBRICKS, 1001 BRICKS, SLIM CHANCE, OLD LEGO PARTS AND SETS, and BRICKWORLD are respected sellers in the community. these are authentic parts.

to answer the question as to why one would be available, is it very likely that all the others have sold. there are a number of "special color" bricks that i have purchased in the past that are no longer available on BrickLink at all, mostly old brown since im a Wild West builder... 1x16 old brown bricks, and 1x2x3 old brown inverted slopes (75 degree) come to mind first, and are no longer available on BrickLink.

i think the blue visor and red darth vadar helmet are poor examples of these "special colors."

for me, i can't get enough of them... i can't tell you how many times i have gone to buy a piece that i need for an MOC, only to find out that it doesn't exists. i think many people would be surprised by how many colors are NOT available for certain pieces.

here is a list of pieces that i am personally looking for, but which LEGO never released...

- 4x10 tan plates

- 1x16 brown bricks

- 1x4 brown hinge tile with car roof attachment

- 1x2x3 brown inverted slopes (75 degrees)

- 1x2 red brick modified log

- 1x4 red brick modified log

- 8x8 brown radar dish

- brown minifig loudhailer

there are plenty of others... i could go on for days :-| however, luckily, some of these elements (not all) were (and some still are) available from these "special color" sellers.

also, it is worth mentioning that these sellers also have pieces in mass quantities that did not come from parting out sets, or pick-a-bricks, and were acquired in the same manner as the "special color" elements.

some of these rare elements are:

- 32x32 tan plates

- 1x1 green tiles.

- red train buffer beams

- BM

Edited by Brick Miner

[snip]

- BM

Yes, I dropped quite a bit of cash a while back on some rare colored garage doors: brown, green, tan, grey *wub*

american civil war style "kepi" hats are another element that has A LOT of special colors available right now *wub*

- BM

american civil war style "kepi" hats are another element that has A LOT of special colors available right now *wub*

- BM

Yes but they're so expensive! And aren't there only two special kepis? Dark blue and red? Or are there new ones now? *wacko*

Yes but they're so expensive! And aren't there only two special kepis? Dark blue and red? Or are there new ones now? *wacko*
there is at lest tan also.

- BM

Wow, lots of replies. Thanks a lot to all of you. Brick Miner, I especially enjoyed reading your post :) Does anyone know where the red Vader helmets came from? I really want one of those... but not for $25...

Edit: Can I have a list, partial or complete, of LUG pieces? I don't care as much about prototypes, because lots are never released, and when they are not on purpose, etc, but the LUG parts really fascinate me. Or if anyone even knows a single part that was LUG exclusive. And what LUGs are given special bricks?

Edited by Gahu: Turaga of Force

This has to be one of my favorite threads!

I just love rare elements

BM-Brown Loudhailer

Are very own Mod SW4J has it *wub*

SW4J-You have a very awesome collection there!!!

I wish I had some many rare parts :'-(

four_ghosts.jpg

The black ghost????

Also I hope to get these beauties

-red baby T-rex

-Red johnny thunder hat

-black swordfish

-red wizard hat

Piranha

This has to be one of my favorite threads!

I just love rare elements

BM-Brown Loudhailer

Are very own Mod SW4J has it *wub*

SW4J-You have a very awesome collection there!!!

I wish I had some many rare parts :'-(

four_ghosts.jpg

The black ghost????

Also I hope to get these beauties

-red baby T-rex

-Red johnny thunder hat

-black swordfish

-red wizard hat

Piranha

Well I don't have the black ghost yet, but maybe one day :'-) I had no idea about this black swordfish, picture? The red johnny thunder hat sounds nice too :-D

i think the blue visor and red darth vadar helmet are poor examples of these "special colors."

some of these rare elements are:

- 32x32 tan plates

- 1x1 green tiles.

- red train buffer beams

This is a late reply, but hey, no one said I was quick ;-)

I like my red Vader helmet, just as I'd like some unprinted Stormtrooper or Clone helmets. Why? Statues. I like any unusual colour elements for statue making or just something weird. I'd have been happier with a dark bley Vader to go with a dark bley Emperor statue, but you take what you can get. I do have a plan for him though, when the time is right.

As for the 1x1 green tiles... Peeron used to list those as coming from one LEGOLAND exclusive maxifig scale pirate, but now they're saying that 5 came in the Dragon sculpture and not mentioning the pirate at all. I know I've seen a pic of it and it existed. My imagination isn't quite that good, I hope. Either way, I remember a discussion once that indicated that there was a cheap printed 1x1 green tile that people would brasso for the same result.

I don't really care all that much for plain bricks in odd colours, just because I haven't needed any, but I could sure use some of those 32x32 tan baseplates... *sigh*

On a similar note, I still have a small pile of 2x12 bricks in a colour I can't even identify. It's somewhere around bright light orange, but leaning more toward yellow or tan. It's just ... unusual. I know it came out of a PaB somewhere in Europe, so I assume it was some kind of random thing they were clearing out.

Well I don't have the black ghost yet, but maybe one day :'-) I had no idea about this black swordfish, picture? The red johnny thunder hat sounds nice too :-D

Link

I didn't know about it either until one day :-D

I also just recently ordered a whole bunch of rare or special parts from MagicBricks!!!

Piranha