Sign in to follow this  
Admiral M

HMS Monarch

I'm back, not that you care, but I'll show you my newest creation anyway. I have finally created something on LDD that I WILL buy, probably next Christmas. I will buy the remaining parts on bricklink, mostly hulls and such. Without further ado, I present my latest and greatest creation:

The HMS MONARCH:

imperial_ship_i_1.jpg

Yes, I will put flaps there.

imperial_ship_i_2.jpg

This is not the final stern color, It will be mostly yellow in the final product

I think this is my best ship yet. I used a bow rounding technique from someone who's name I have forgotten (I saw it on HMS Unicorn, I think it was Joey Lock, but I could be wrong). I used my own basic tumblehome method, and the cabin was somewhat based off of Brickbeards Bounty.

Edited by Admiral M

I'm back, not that you care,

Don't talk like that, everybody cares about everybody around here. We are one big EB/CP family :pir-grin: Group Hug :pir_laugh2:

Doesn't that last sentence sound cheesy?

On to the ship. It looks pretty good so far and it is very easy to tell that the cabin is based roughly of BB.

How many hull pieces do you intend on using.

Edited by Broadside

Four, which by evil stevie's standard would be a class 8 ship. I Really like LDD, because I don't want to destroy what little navy I have to build a prototype for a ship. oh, and i'm glad you care, even though I'm a lousy redcoat...

Edited by Admiral M

This is indeed a big improvement of your earlier works. There are more details on it and the shape (with nice thumblehome :pir-wink: ) is also good. maybe you'd better use some more hull pieces, the ship shouldn't be too short. And it's 'HMS', do may I suppose it will be for the british/redcoats?

Yep, it'll be redcoat. Unless new bluecoats come out, I may then change my nationality to american, but I can't make custom torso's and I don't want to buy the old ones. If there are bluecoats in the future, then it's "USS George Washington"

It doesn't seem short to me, but I could be wrong...

imperial_ship_i_3.jpg

Edited by Admiral M

Yep, it'll be redcoat. Unless new bluecoats come out, I may then change my nationality to american, but I can't make custom torso's and I don't want to buy the old ones. If there are bluecoats in the future, then it's "USS George Washington"

The bluecoats are usually french instead of american here.

It doesn't seem short to me, but I could be wrong...

No, sorry, you are right, it's not too short. You could add another hull part, but it's ok now.

The bluecoats are usually french instead of american here.

Here is our current redcoat:

Grenadier_21st_Regiment.jpg

An american soldier, half way through the war, wore this:

revguiderev-1.jpg

they wore tricorners, but other than that, the picture is correct.

now, if our current redcoat colors were inverted, wouldn't it look more like a US soldier?

Edited by Admiral M

Here is our current redcoat:

Grenadier_21st_Regiment.jpg

An american soldier, half way through the war, wore this:

revguiderev-1.jpg

they wore tricorners, but other than that, the picture is correct.

now, if our current redcoat colors were inverted, wouldn't it look more like a US soldier?

Bluecoats are associated with French, So you would have to use decals from the Library, However you would be the only american, on your own against the Redcoats, So, Id stay with our mighty empire.

that's what I was planning, it's just my inner patriot =)

by the way, thanks for the bow technique

God Bless America

Edited by Admiral M

How many men do you think I would need to crew this ship? I already have 22 men (commanders, genrals and admirals). 16 rank-and-file soldiers, along with 4 corporals and 2 officers split into to companies of 11 men each. I have 2 brickbeard's bounties which I have converted to naval service, and they have 4 soldiers and 1 corporal on board, and have 2 cannon each. I then have the additional company of 11 men stationed at my fortress and around my port for protection. How many more should I buy, if this ship will have 5 cannon (for 1 broadside), 4 deck guns, and 3 "true" masts? My estamite is 16 normal soldiers (2 per cannon, 1 per deck gun, and 2 in the sails), 4 corperals, and 2 officers. Is this an accurate guess? More or less men needed?

Edited by Admiral M

I've added Deck Guns and I've made it possible for the upper deck to be lifted off:

imperial_ship_i_5.jpg

imperial_ship_i_7.jpg

imperial_ship_6.jpg

I would try adding an extra Deck to the ship and just see how it turns out, Save it as another file.

I would then try to take closer images, Dont try to always take a picture of the whole ship.

What are the slits in between the decks?

Also I would put in a coloured line through the decks like so:

LDDScreenShot142.png

I would try adding an extra Deck to the ship and just see how it turns out, Save it as another file.

I would then try to take closer images, Dont try to always take a picture of the whole ship.

What are the slits in between the decks?

Also I would put in a coloured line through the decks like so:

LDDScreenShot142.png

Do you mean an extra gun deck? I certainly could try. I don't know how to take closer pictures in LDD, perhaps you know. since there is currently only one deck, I don't find it neccisary to add a stripe.

Edited by Admiral M

This looks great! I love the windows in the castle, and the cannons. Great job, keep it up! ~LW 8~

Edited by Lego_Warlord_8

And the approximate location and hight of the masts:

I would give it 3 masts instead of 4, that's more usual. For the placement I think you should watch some pictures on the internet, usually the space between the main mast and the mast at the bow (foremast?) is bigger than the space between the main- and 'stern'mast.

I am going away for the next week, and will not have access to a computer. Here is my current progress:

I've followed YnyklY's advise and changed the masts:

imperial_ship_i_9.jpg

imperial_ship_i_10.jpg

imperial_ship_i_11.jpg

imperial_ship_i_12.jpg

The aft sail is too big, I'll reduce it's size later.

When I get back, i'll begin to build the ship in real bricks!

Can't wait!

Do you mean an extra gun deck? I certainly could try. I don't know how to take closer pictures in LDD, perhaps you know. since there is currently only one deck, I don't find it neccisary to add a stripe.

When you go into View Mode, Zoom in using a Mouse Wheel, Or if you do not have one, Use the small panel in the view mode.

You will have to right click on the part of the model you would like to zoom in on, Because it will directly view that part.

I am going away for the next week, and will not have access to a computer. Here is my current progress:

I've followed YnyklY's advise and changed the masts:

imperial_ship_i_9.jpg

imperial_ship_i_10.jpg

imperial_ship_i_11.jpg

imperial_ship_i_12.jpg

The aft sail is too big, I'll reduce it's size later.

When I get back, i'll begin to build the ship in real bricks!

Can't wait!

You dont have to build the masts Brick built, You can buy the traditional masts, Also make Cloth sails.

Of course: I'll build the masts in the traditional fashion, and with cloth sails. I just wanted to show what it would look like.

More Pics!

lddscreenshot1.png

The Deck Guns:

lddscreenshot2.png

lddscreenshot3.png

The bow:

lddscreenshot4.png

The sloping:

lddscreenshot5.png

lddscreenshot6.png

lddscreenshot7.png

Overhead view, length/width proportions:[lddscreenshot8.png

lddscreenshot9.png

And a final shot of the stern:

lddscreenshot10.png

If only it mesured up to everyone else's great ships!

Edited by Admiral M

This ship is getting better all the time :pir-classic: I think the triangle-shaped sail in the front would look better if you split it, so two smaller sails. And now one of them leads to the top of the biggest sail (of the fore mast) so the second sail should lead to the one above it. Well, for the rest there isn't much I can add to it :pir-classic: I like the stern and the smaller cannons on the deck are also very nice!