anglezoo

Lt. Hastings hastens back to the Diomedes...

...changes have been made to the figurehead and bowsprit. I spent some time studying Geoff Hunt's pics of the Surprise, on which this ship is loosely based.

img_7044.jpeg

img_7046.jpeg

img_7049.jpeg

img_7051.jpeg

For the full set please visit my Flickr page at

Edited by anglezoo

After listening to a couple of suggestions I have tried to (slightly) change the stern. I didn't want to make it overly elaborate, as this wouldn't be in keeping with the decorations of the Napoleonic era. I had some inspiration from HMS Surprise (formerly HMS Rose) link and used the trophy mini-mini figs from the minifig series.

Here is my effort. Please let me know what you think.

stern2.jpg

stern.jpg

After listening to a couple of suggestions I have tried to (slightly) change the stern. I didn't want to make it overly elaborate, as this wouldn't be in keeping with the decorations of the Napoleonic era. I had some inspiration from HMS Surprise (formerly HMS Rose) link and used the trophy mini-mini figs from the minifig series.

Here is my effort. Please let me know what you think.

stern2.jpg

stern.jpg

I like it! Adds a nice touch! :pir_laugh2:

Looks great! I think it'd be nice if you added a nameplate "Diomedes" under the windows. I don't like the lantern, it's too simple and unrealistic IMO in comparison to the rest of the ship. I think either this or this could look good. But overall she's one of the best ships I've seen, as I've said in my previous post. :thumbup:

Great looking ship, I love the use of the flexible Technic gold parts. And the way you did the sails

Bart

Looks great! I think it'd be nice if you added a nameplate "Diomedes" under the windows. I don't like the lantern, it's too simple and unrealistic IMO in comparison to the rest of the ship. I think either this or this could look good. But overall she's one of the best ships I've seen, as I've said in my previous post. :thumbup:

I've given the lantern quite some consideration, and the current one is the one that has worked best. I used the type with the transparent cheese slopes in my previos ship the Pallas, but never really liked it as it looked too boxy. As far as the other design is concerned, the one with the inverted cone, it looks very realistic but it also looks too big on this ship- I think it is more in keeping with a galleon design ( even though the Diomedes has six middle sections!). If anything it gave the ship a comical look. I have also considered using just a larger radar plate for the top to give the lantern a more conical look, but again it doesn't really look right.

The way you made the sails is a very good technique. Keep up the ownderful work, I'm looking forward to seeing more! :pir-wink:

The lines of this ship are spot on, I love it :pir-wub:

The only think I would change is this part at the bow:

img_7021-2.jpg

That should be more like this IMO, now it doesn't look right:

kk.jpg

See what I mean?

The lines of this ship are spot on, I love it :pir-wub:

The only think I would change is this part at the bow:

img_7021-2.jpg

That should be more like this IMO, now it doesn't look right:

kk.jpg

See what I mean?

There are many ship designs, and the Napoleonic period frigates mostly favoured a closed bow design. Like this Geoff Hunt HMS Surprise or this My link. I have chosen this design based on designs I found in books and the web. I have seen what you are talking about, but it really doesn't apply. I ll give it consideration though and try it out. Thanks for the input.

Edited by Bonaparte

There are many ship designs, and the Napoleonic period frigates mostly favoured a closed bow design. Like this Geoff Hunt HMS Surprise or this My link. I have chosen this design based on designs I found in books and the web. I have seen what you are talking about, but it really doesn't apply. I ll give it consideration though and try it out. Thanks for the input.

Aha, well, if you based your ship on one with a closed bow design then no need to consider a change. I must admit I didn't see many ships yet with such bow, but your pictures are clear proof and examples they exist.

But I do wonder where the crew will go for peeing and that kind of stuff as the toilets where normally down there... :pir-laugh:

Aha, well, if you based your ship on one with a closed bow design then no need to consider a change. I must admit I didn't see many ships yet with such bow, but your pictures are clear proof and examples they exist.

But I do wonder where the crew will go for peeing and that kind of stuff as the toilets where normally down there... :pir-laugh:

Ah, well... My crew are a very disciplined bunch and they are made to hold it in until they reach port! Being made of plastic helps too! Joking aside I have too wondered where they would go on a ship with such a design, I guess there must be a door to give access to below the bowsprit...If anyone can shed some light on the subject, please do!

That's a very good question you pose. I too have always wondered but assumed they would just use a pot or "let loose" over the rail. I would love to have a definitive answer!

That's a very good question you pose. I too have always wondered but assumed they would just use a pot or "let loose" over the rail. I would love to have a definitive answer!

Those 2 holes you see behind the figurehead are toilets.

But the question remains how this would go on anglezoo's ship with such a 'closed bow'.

hms-prince-of-wales-05.jpg

I might have a possible explanation :pir-classic:

If you take a close look at this picture, you'll see small stairs at the bow (and a Santa hat on the figurehead)here.

You can also see them on this model ship.

On HMS Trincomalee there are 2 gunport holes and a gap in the railings.

Both of these ships have the toilets at the usual place on the bow.

Somehow I can't reply at the moment so I'm just gonna edit this post:

but on smaller ships, like any of those "Surprises", where there isn't space for the convenient seat, raise the question, where did the common seamen take their more urgent business?

In the case of HMS Surprise I can still give a clear answer.

As you can see here there are no toilets at the bow, but a sailor would still use the same spot.

You can see this in a scene from the well-known movie here:

Toilet.png

However, I don't know the answer for real small ships like sloops.

Guess it would just go over the railings.

Yes,yes, the "seat of ease" is immediately abaft the figurehead between the head rails on larger ships. It's the reason modern navies still call a lavatory "the head". but on smaller ships, like any of those "Surprises", where there isn't space for the convenient seat, raise the question, where did the common seamen take their more urgent business? Having never had the oppurtunity in my adult life yet to phsycally walk the decks of a wooden warship, as such, i really don't know. Study of many a model haven't revealed the answer either, as none of this type show seat between the head rails with a closed bow, like this. The ladder at the front of Surprise could be used to access any number of technical things at the bow, other than toilet.

Anglezoo, i jumped in to talk about the question and for got to mention you ship at all, apologies. She wonderful. it's impressive how you made everything out of Lego. I wonder would you plan to ever put under press of sail? Your furled method is impressive, but would be even more impressive if you had unfurled sails too :) Thanks for sharing her!

Those rolled up sails are awesome!!! Lovely scene and vessel too. :pir-blush:

Nice ship, reminds me a lot of a ship by Perfectionist, I see he has been an influence. The stern looks very nice and the color scheme works rather well. Great effort :thumbup: I look forward to seeing your next ship

4 hours ago, Admiral NB said:

nice ship, very nice, good job on that ;)

Though we do appreciate your interest and enthusiasm we do ask that you refrain from bumping old topics. This post was last commented on 4.5 years ago. For your edification please revisit the Site Guidelines as well as this topic on Bumping Old Topics. Thank you for understanding.