anglezoo

Lt. Hastings hastens back to the Diomedes...

Folder is not yet public, try deeplinking, use the "insert image" button, you must insert the url of the image when you clicked on it in brickshelf so you only see the image itself in the window.

Diomedes or Diomed (Ancient Greek: Διομήδης Diomēdēs ""God-like cunning" or "advised by Zeus"") is a hero in Greek mythology, known for his participation in the Trojan War.

He was born to Tydeus and Deipyle and later became King of Argos, succeeding his maternal grandfather, Adrastus. In Homer's Iliad Diomedes is regarded alongside Ajax as one of the best warriors of all the Achaeans (behind only Achilles in prowess). In Virgil's Aeneid he is one of the warriors who entered the Trojan Horse shortly before the sack of Troy.

The Diomedes does indeed look great in the back-ground there.

(I was going to make a comment about the Hercules sailing up and beating her back, but realized from your description this ship isn't named after the Thracian king.)

Diomedes is represented in the epic as the most valiant soldier of the war, who never commits hubris. He is often referred to by Homer as the youngest amongst the Achaean warrior-kings, and yet the most powerful fighter, second only to Achilles.

Just saw these on Flickr as well, thought I'd say here as well that this ship looks fantastic! No non-LEGO parts, what about the rope? :pir-grin:

:jollyroger:

Rope is all Lego - mostly the ones with studs on, but there is one long bit that came from the Skull-eye schooner

agreed I would love to see more too, I really like the sails (brick built I assume) as they look great and I would like to copy them for a build of my own :pir-sweet: .

Here's the link, but you won't find any more pics as I haven't taken any more. Am waiting for better light conditions.

The HMS Diomedes at sunset

Ok... some more pics:

img_7021-2.jpg

img_7025-2.jpg

img_7035-2.jpg

img_7039-2.jpg

img_7042-2.jpg

untitled-3.png

img_7033-2.jpg

Sorry about the bad pic quality in some.

All suggestions welcome, but please none about custom rigging or sails. I have neither the time, nor the patience to engage in this. Also, please bear in mind that this ship was designed to be played with therefore concessions were made to playability vs authenticity.

Cheers

Edited by anglezoo

Thank you very much for the added pictures. There are so many great things about her. Without a doubt though I have to say those which catch my eye most are her superb lines. She looks so elegant. I also love the brick-built sails, powder-buckets, signal flags, and the tarpaulin and gripes on the launch.

I did have a question. There seems to be string from the wheel running below deck. Does it operate the rudder, or just loop below giving the appearance?

Thank you very much for the added pictures. There are so many great things about her. Without a doubt though I have to say those which catch my eye most are her superb lines. She looks so elegant. I also love the brick-built sails, powder-buckets, signal flags, and the tarpaulin and gripes on the launch.

I did have a question. There seems to be string from the wheel running below deck. Does it operate the rudder, or just loop below giving the appearance?

Hmmm...very observant. I would have liked to have a working rudder, and tried to, but could not get it to work. Also, it's difficult to get much motion at the back (I use the old hulls for the back - not much lateral motion for the rudder allowed).

This is overall a very nice ship, it does have very unique sails — still very nice — and a lot of details. I think the main deck colours and activity is amazing and looks very authentic. I do have a couple of suggestion though:

1) The bow seems somewhat too bulky

2) The stern could have a little more work

Besides this 2 points there is no much else to say. I like the colour scheme in general, tan is a fantastic colour pirate_wubnew.gif I love frigates and even if I can't tell precisely why, I think this is one of my favourite ships. I fell that is because you managed to get very elegant lines in a very simple — yet beautiful — way default_thumbup.gif

Edited by Frank Brick Wright

I love the figure head and the gold trimmings, this just gets better and better, any chance of looking below deck?

:pir-sweet:

I love the figure head and the gold trimmings, this just gets better and better, any chance of looking below deck?

:pir-sweet:

There's a pic of the captain's cabin on flickr, the link is in this thread.

That's a wonderful ship! The gunline is beautifully curved and I like the custom sails and rigging.

I think they compensate very well for non-LEGO sails and ropes.

But perhaps one of my favourite details is the cloth over the boats. And there are more clever uses of LEGO parts.

Excellent job! I'll put this in the index straightaway :pir-classic:

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Don't know what to say that hasn't already been said, but I really love her lines. :pir-wub: It's everything I want my frigate to be, when I get the chance to build it. I've also always liked your unconventional colorschemes, this one looks even better than the Pallas'.

Wow, very nice ship :thumbup: Nice colors, shape and amazing sails! However the stern looks a bit plain and tiled upper deck would be nice :pir-sweet: Great work anyway :thumbup: