Paul Boratko

Nathanael Kuipers' Build it Book Promo Video

I know this isn't Technic, but he is one of the more well know Technic Builders and some of these model are similar to the Model Team like ones that I have seen posted in here before.. Jim, If there is a more approproiate forum to move this to then please do...

I am amazed by how good this promo video is...

Set reference:

http://brickset.com/sets/5867-1

5867-1.jpg

Edited by Jim
Added set reference

This is the site, for me is Model Team with a few bricks :thumbup: , for me imposible built with less than 1000 :thumbdown: and only one A - model :laugh: .

an incredible promo video for a book of an incredible builder - to each saint his candle :wink:

The video is absolutely incredible! The animation is ridiculously good, arguably just as good or better as official LEGO TECHNIC commercials. :wub:

TLH

Any idea who actually made the video? I suspect it was Matthias, the same guy who did the images in the book. If so, he has access to some incredibly sophisticated tools and really knows how to use them. I am blown away.

Any idea who actually made the video? I suspect it was Matthias, the same guy who did the images in the book. If so, he has access to some incredibly sophisticated tools and really knows how to use them. I am blown away.

I was too, that is why I felt the need to post it here...

Wow. That was a very professionally done video. I notice that he doesn't have very many youtube subscribers. I would have expected someone of his caliber and talents to have 1,000's. I guess for some it comes down to how many videos that you put out and not necessarily what is actually in them. Or if you can make one really great video that goes viral.

I hope for you Nathanael, that all your books and instructions are sold complete out, and you are deserved it. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hi there "Lego people" :classic:

I'm very pleased to read your comments about the video(s)! Thank you very very very much! :blush:

Mattia Zamboni did the models and I did the rest on that Buildit Book promo!

I liked when i read that these where better then official legos videos!! Hope you are right and i would be very glad if they feel the same way! Maybe we can make some for them too! That would be sooooooooo cool!!!! :thumbup:

Once more, thank you all for the nice comments! :wink:

Mattia Zamboni did the models and I did the rest on that Buildit Book promo!

Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining this topic. As you've heard, we're all very impressed with the video. Can you share on details on what software you used or what methods you employed for those of use who are into such things?

I am indeed very impressed with the video!! I would like to hear more details.

Paul, I will Frontpage the video, so I will check which forum is best. What's the model used in his book (sorry, too lazy to look it up)?

the video can be "easily" achieved with 3ds max in 2-3 weeks of work :)

very nice video by the way! i agree it's better than those made by lego lol

Edited by piterx

The softwares i used are: 3dsmax, render engine Vray, after effects for post production, ableton for the sound track (original by me) and sony vegas for final editing.

It was not "that easy" to achieve the final product. I'm not any "3d genius" but i'm around 3d for 15 years as a professional since 3dsMax 3 and as an enthusiast for +20 years (back in the days of Commodore Amiga) .

There are some tricky bits like the assemble and disassemble of the models. Some are particle effects (3dsmax native PFlow) and some are also native MassFX that's a tool that uses dynamics to simulate breakable objects.

The best for me, and what takes more time, is the cinematography of the promo, like thinking of how the animation can evolve thinking of sound and dinamic movement at the same time.

The 8860 animation, i did on my spare time when i felt like it.

It did start just as a trainning session for some material technique tests.

It is not modeled very accurately as i started modeling some pieces by memory. I had this lego set and it always was my favorite toy.

The last pieces i went hunting for some fotos on the web, but nothing is modeled with real measures.

From that model I did 2 renders that actually are in the ChaosGroup (Vray render makers) gallery

Edited by 19743ddudde

Thanks for the information! I only have access to POV-Ray so it is very interesting to hear what else is out there for commercial use. Did you start by converting the parts from the LDraw library or were the parts actually modeled in 3DS? Even more than the particle assembly, I was impressed with the kinematics. For example, the wheels spin and do a "burnout", the steering turns, and the suspension compresses even though there are no such features in the model. Motion is very smooth and obviously accelerates with a ramp function, maybe even a sine wave. All of these details take time and thought and make it look real.

did you use that plugin (wich i don't remember the name) for max that makes a rig for the car or did you rigged it by yourself?

It's all max. Really. A nighmare job, we know...

It's a "made by me" rig that has various controlers such as steer, slide, bump, and also the wheels are linked in a way that i don't have to spin them. As the body moves backward or forward they spin accordingly.

And of course that the legos don't have those dynamics but it just looks so cool like this that we couldn't leave it stiff :wink:

And i don't think any1 could do this in 2 weeks... honestly.

I don't really know how much time it took because i made both on spare time. At least 1 1/2 months straight.

Btw, the 8860's pieces animation was all made by hand. No plugins, no particles, no secret recipes :wink:

Thanks for the information! I only have access to POV-Ray so it is very interesting to hear what else is out there for commercial use. Did you start by converting the parts from the LDraw library or were the parts actually modeled in 3DS? Even more than the particle assembly, I was impressed with the kinematics. For example, the wheels spin and do a "burnout", the steering turns, and the suspension compresses even though there are no such features in the model. Motion is very smooth and obviously accelerates with a ramp function, maybe even a sine wave. All of these details take time and thought and make it look real.

You can download Blender for free. In terms of render quality, the cycles renderer can easily produce renders as good as this video or better (the limiting factor tends to be the amount of detail on the bricks). Blender is definitely also capable of the physics in this video, but I don't know how easy it is in Blender vs in 3ds max. Here is an example cycles render:

http://www.blenderna...o_Bulldozer.jpg

Edited by dan1el

Btw, the 8860's pieces animation was all made by hand. No plugins, no particles, no secret recipes :wink:

Ouch! Are the motion and focal blur more or less "automatic"? They look great. I can see you doing a rack focus change in a couple of places on the 8860 video.

It's all max. Really. A nighmare job, we know...

It's a "made by me" rig that has various controlers such as steer, slide, bump, and also the wheels are linked in a way that i don't have to spin them. As the body moves backward or forward they spin accordingly.

And of course that the legos don't have those dynamics but it just looks so cool like this that we couldn't leave it stiff :wink:

And i don't think any1 could do this in 2 weeks... honestly.

I don't really know how much time it took because i made both on spare time. At least 1 1/2 months straight.

yeah maybe 1 month :P

i thought 2 or 3 weeks using all the plugins to make it easier

btw don't get me wrong i really apreciate this work looks great :)

if you need a hand for future jobs you can count on me :D

The DOF (Depth of Field) - focal blur - animation was manual too

I would like to challenge dan1el to make that first assembly shot with blender without external plugins. :wink:

I'm not saying it can't be done, i'm just challenging you. A friendly challenge.

Edited by 19743ddudde

You can download Blender for free. In terms of render quality, the cycles renderer can easily produce renders as good as this video or better (the limiting factor tends to be the amount of detail on the bricks). Blender is definitely also capable of the physics in this video, but I don't know how easy it is in Blender vs in 3ds max. Here is an example cycles render:

http://www.blenderna...o_Bulldozer.jpg

lol, blender < 3ds max...

everything < 3ds max