Sign in to follow this  
Siegfried

REVIEW: 8292 Cherry Picker

DSC02357es.jpg

I wasn't very interested in this set at first. It seemed to be just a nice looking truck with a small motor... but when I found out it had a transmission I changed my mind!

DSC02358es.jpg

Here is the transmission. It allows the single motor to be used for two functions. This system has been around for a while, and Lego seem to be using it more and more. The Transmission Driving Ring alone (the red circle) goes for $5-15 USD on BrickLink, and you also need the Catch and Clutch Gear so I have been buying sets that have them instead. I now have enough parts to make a Supercar gearbox. (I bet a new supercar comes out next year now...)

DSC02359es.jpg

This is the gear that rotates the arm. Note the colour of the 24 tooth gear; it seems to be a new gear trend.

DSC02360es.jpg

A lot of work has been put into this truck looking real. Personally I think they went too far as the truck seems to have been designed for a tilting cab, but it's disabled to prevent breaking the front.

DSC02362es.jpg

Bottom of the transmission. The bottom shaft lifts the arm. Note that there are more dark grey gears. The motor fits in very well also.

DSC02363es.jpg

The bottom of the arm. I was surprised by the usage of a 12 Tooth Bevel to link with the 36 Tooth Double Bevel as I had never seen that done before. As you can see there is no room for any drive train.

DSC02364es.jpg

Standard steering for a recent technic truck. There is a hand-of-god at the cab top that links via two Knob Wheels.

DSC02365es.jpg

It looks good from the back. You can also see the white Clutch that connects the transmission to the motor to avoid burnouts.

DSC02367es.jpg

It goes decently high, and can go a bit higher if you use the crane arm.

DSC02369es.jpg

Compared to last years fire truck. (If I didn't buy the fire truck for half price I would have been annoyed that Lego brought out what is almost a motorised version of the same set.)

Functions:

Cherry Picker Arm: Motorised rotate and lift that links to a motor via a transmission and anti-burnout clutch.

Steering: Rack and pinion controlled via a hand-of-god linked by Knob Wheels

Doors: Open and close.

Good functionality that works well, but I wish they made the cab lift and I'm a bit sick of the lame fairing door trick. 7/10

Parts: Motor, battery box, transmission, clutch, practical wheels, only two fairings, compact turntable... this is a great parts set. 10/10

Price: At $99.99 AUD for 726 parts it's OK value when you consider what you are getting. The US price is $60.00 which is better, but still not great. I bought mine for $80 AUD which was good however, and I suspect that the price is designed for easy sale...8/10

Looks: I'd buy this for the looks alone! 9/10

Fudge: The functions work well and I llked it more than I thought I would. Oddly mine seemed to be missing a Axle Pin with Friction, but since it includes extra parts for the alternate model I didn't mind using one of my spares. On the subject of the alternate model, it is a dump truck which is made out to be a total re-build, but it isn't. It could have easily been done like Super Street Sensation was, but Lego have probably determined that instructions like that confuse people. 8/10

Overall: Recommended. 8/10

Great review! I never have been interested in this set. I am saving my money for a grey technic set or thatt Technic ferrari set...

Thank you for that fine review of a pretty cool and nice set with a very good amount of functionality and, um, playability, for sure. :thumbup::cry_happy:

Thanks for the review! I bought this set when it first came out and it is still in the box. It is stuck in my fairly lengthly backlog but after seeing your review, I'll have to put it to the top of the queue.

Great review Sinner :thumbup:

I bought this set a few weeks ago personally I prefer the alternative model of the flatbed truck.

Thank you for your detailed review, Sinner! :thumbup:

I´m not that much into Technic building because I´m lacking the inspiration to build something different with all those technic elements.

So I´ll pass on this one and stay to classic bricks. :blush:

Thanks for the review! I think I am going to get this set for it's many technic pieces. I could really use those for a rig I'm going to build.

Looks like an interesting set. I didn't realize the motor controlled two functions through a transmission switch. That's always good to see. :thumbup:

I'll probably pass it up though until the price falls a bit. The overall design is a bit too studless for my liking (I think the 8275 bulldozer has a much better balance of studded and studless pieces), and the wheels somehow look too small to me. I also have something of a backlog at the moment; I still need to pick up that bulldozer along with the 8421 mobile crane (on ebay).

Wow, it's a smarty set with drive shafts (We are everybody!) and technical junk. The specs and stuff kind of lose me but the walrus looks really cute in the cherry picker! :wub: I imagine he's saving a kitten. But really, this is a great review and has a wealth of detail and knowlege for techni-philes! Thanks for providing such a cool resource for EB! I really did enjoy delving in to the world of Technic for a few moments. The walrus rides it :laugh: ... oh, he's so smart.

Thanks for reading my review guys!

Great review! I never have been interested in this set. I am saving my money for a grey technic set or thatt Technic ferrari set...

If you mean 8145 Ferrari 599 GTB then I recomend it, but I think it is overpriced. Mine was almost half price... and about to fall in the sorting bin! :tongue:

I´m not that much into Technic building because I´m lacking the inspiration to build something different with all those technic elements.

So I´ll pass on this one and stay to classic bricks. :blush:

I have enough now to be able to build something... and I really should soon or I'm going to find it hard to justify to my wife buying the other 2008 sets! :grin:

Thanks for the review! I think I am going to get this set for it's many technic pieces. I could really use those for a rig I'm going to build.

I didn't know you liked Technic. I look forward to seeing this rig.

The overall design is a bit too studless for my liking (I think the 8275 bulldozer has a much better balance of studded and studless pieces), and the wheels somehow look too small to me. I also have something of a backlog at the moment; I still need to pick up that bulldozer along with the 8421 mobile crane (on ebay).

I'd buy the Bulldozer or Mobile crane over this set. As I own both already I bought this! I tend to agree with the wheels, but I think it doesn't detract from the model.

Wow, it's a smarty set with drive shafts (We are everybody!) and technical junk. The specs and stuff kind of lose me but the walrus looks really cute in the cherry picker! :wub: I imagine he's saving a kitten.

Thanks for your foray into Technic land. :laugh: I tried to fit him in the cab as well but he kept falling over. :cry_sad:

I didn't know you liked Technic. I look forward to seeing this rig.

Well, it's mostly from the "Mindstorms" Robotics side....

Honestly, if I bought this, it would be my first Technic set ever :blush:

Well, it's mostly from the "Mindstorms" Robotics side....

Honestly, if I bought this, it would be my first Technic set ever :blush:

:tongue: Another illusion shattered! Interestingly, I've never bought a Mindstorms set as I have enough programming to do for work without doing it for fun... I have been tempted though.