Welcome to Eurobricks' Fourth LDD Relay Community Build! We will this time around tackle one of TLG’s most popular theme and my personal favorite …

PIRATES!!!! :pir-wub:

Eurobricks' Fourth LDD RCB will, by popular vote, be Pirate-themed and we are building a fort. A total of sixteen(16) builders will contribute additions to the build of up to 300 bricks (one of the most requested feature for future RCBs was to have more bricks allowed) to complete this model; a further 4 builders will be considered as replacements should a builder drop out.

:pir-classic::pirate::jollyroger::pir-classic::pirate::jollyroger:

Rules and Guidelines:

Portions of these rules were borrowed from those of previous LDD RCB, written by ADHO15 and further developed by Brickdoctor. Even though this seems like a bunch of boring rules, this is intended to be a serious build, so do read them over before signing up.

Requirements:

• This RCB will be built using LDD 4.1.8 and Extended Mode. If you have not unlocked it and/or have not downloaded the 4.1.8 patch, please do so and ensure it to works properly prior to signing up. (should an update to LDD be done as the build progresses, we will then transistion to the updated version)

• You must have a Brickshelf account and know how to use it.

• By the end of the build, the model will contain nearly 5,000 pieces. If you think that your computer will be unable to handle such a large model, please do not sign up.

Building Regulations:

• Each person can add up to 300 bricks. Use the brick counter to ensure you don't use too many bricks, otherwise portions of your addition will be deleted.

• The general rule is that you can't alter bricks placed by a previous builder. However, if absolutely necessary in order to place some vital structural elements, you are allowed to move max ten of of previous builders bricks. This allowance is not to be used to add decorations or other trivial elements.

Use only bricks in colors that have been manufactured at some time by TLG. Use BrickLink for reference. One exception: Because classic pirates uses brown, grey and dark grey whereas the new pirates lines used reddish brown and both bley color, we will stick to the NEW color scheme.

• Avoid 'floating' of bricks, except in special cases where friction would hold the piece in place in real life. While it is okay to have corners and spaces between buildings, please keep the whole model attached. If you need more space, add in a baseplate.

• As a general guideline please avoid use of BPPs, BURPs, and <insert that tiresome argument> pieces. Brick-built solutions usually have a more refined look to them.

• Please try to stay within the intended theme. You might think of adding a sea portion and building a giant SHIP, but the focus of this build is the fort itself. E.g. You can add a dock and ship to the scene, as long as the primary model remains the fort itslef.

• Factions of this build should be limited to Pirates/Imperial soldiers. Make sure you use relevant torso’s, headgear and faces. Bare in mind that LDD does not feature the imperial torso and pirates decoration so use your imagination.

This is meant to be a peaceful scene. Do not build in attacks by other factions or disasters. The build should represent a typical day in an 18th century fort.

• You are not allowed to set the RCB on fire. (or other similar inappropriate additions, and, of course, you may use fire where appropriate, such as torches) I reserve the right to remove anything that is inappropriate for the model.

• Just so our model doesn't end up looking half-finished, if you are one of the later builders, try not to start anything that can't be easily completed by the next builder.

• Provided that they do not violate one of the above Building Regulations, any design decisions are up to you. Just try to keep it looking polished and representative of a fort; armoury, barracks, powder magazine, blacksmith, stables and obviously CANNONS!!!!

Guidelines for discussion of the RCB:

• It's sounds obvious, but to borrow KimT's line, stay on target!

• Do not ask when it will be your turn. I'll PM you when it is, so if you haven't been PMed saying it's your turn, it isn't your turn.

• If you do not get chosen to build, do not use this topic to complain about it to everyone. I'll try to be fair when I choose the participants, and if you want to discuss the participant selection, PM me instead.

What to do on Your Turn:

• You will receive a PM from myself notifying you when it is your turn and containing the latest version of the model. While the model will be available for download to anyone after the completion of each turn, please do not begin work on your portion before I have sent you the PM, otherwise you might lose your work and/or things could get messy.

• Download the file I sent you and add your bricks. Make sure you follow the Building Regulations. You have three days to complete and send in your model. If you do not or cannot finish in time, you will be replaced by a reserve participant.

• The file I sent you will be named "RCB4 - Turn(turn number)". Rename the file using the appropriate Turn Number, upload it to your Brickshelf account (tutorial to that effect here), and PM a link back to me.

I've read and agree to all the rules and regulations- how do I sign up?

Simple. Drop me (Piratedave84) a PM saying that you want to participate and agree to the rules and regulations. If you have a preference as to when you take your turn, also include your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices for turn numbers. I cannot guarantee any particular turn. I will try to get you one of your top three choices, but understand that I can't make any promises. Also remember that I cannot be on EB 24/7 to close signups after the 16th entry, so even if you've PMed me, you are not guaranteed a spot on the roster until I send you a PM of confirmation. I will, however, choose an additional four builders for the list of reserves. There is a limit of 16 builders, and the final decision on who to include is up to the host. (me) I will try to select an good balance of both RCB veterans and newcomers. Like the previous RCBS, sign-ups are not on a first-come, first-serve basis. Sign-ups will remain open until Friday, November 18th [/b. (or until 16 builders have signed up, if such has not occurred by the end of the week-long period)

Turns:

NOTE : Thumbnail leads to high definition picture, builder name links to LDD(.lxf) file

00starter_model_-_hd.png

- Starter Model

016793012973_5fd873a51b.jpg

- Canticleer Blues (Started fort base, added cannon)

02hd_-_turn2.png

- Bart (added a Jetty & built a small watch tower with canon)

03hd_-_turn3.png

- KingoftheZempk (started a second tower on the other rock) - Builder added that the "brown thing" is a bird's nest!

04hd_-_turn4.png

- The Legonater (Started library/office and armoury/powder storage)

05hd_-_turn5.png

- Skipper (Finished second tower and converted it to a light house with a crane)

06hd_-_turn6.png

- Masked Builder (Started building the walls surrounding the main fort)

07hd_-_turn7.png

- Darkdragon (Added Library and mess area)

08hd-_turn8.png

- Callmepieordie (Started building center building, finished armory and added a GINORMOUS cannon)

09hd_-_turn9.png

- Bricksandparts (Added onto center building; converted it into a captain's quarters "or something like that"said the builder!.)

10hd_-_turn10.png

- BasOne (Started gate and gatehouse, built dock and crane for the bigger ships.)

11hd_-_turn11.png

- Lalror (Added small pirate ship, added a few more cannons and finished the guard rail around the main house.)

12hd_-_turn12.png

- Alasdair Ryan (Added 2 small boats, Small dock,internal wall with steps up to next level and detail around the main dock )

13hd_-_turn13.png

- prateek (Added tower to central building, built up inner wall)

14hd_-_turn14.png

- Bricksandparts (Started building a prison at the back of the model)

15hd_-_turn15.png

- Brickdoctor (Built up walls, covered main stairs to walls, and added small cannon)

16hd_-_turn16.png

- Piratedave84 (Polished the model, finished railings, added roof to prison)

Bonus turn! - 17

Picture- Superkalle (Polished the model, finished railings, added roof to prison)

Edited by Piratedave84

Yarrr, i send this ére Pm thingy to ye matey :pir-sweet:

*Get's the urge to serenade Brickdoctor* :tongue:

Edited by BasOne

Thanks for hosting! :classic: PM'd.

BasOne, what's up with you singing? *huh* It was in the poll too.

Edited by Skipper

Thanks everybody for the interest!!! we're off to a good start!!!!

ONe thing I wanted to raise with participants was the following:

Should we build in the classic-pirate style with a yellow, white and red color scheme or should we go with a more "realistic" approach with "brick"/rocks walls..

Thoughts?

I think it should be as realistic as posable. :classic:

One thing i am thinking though is the size of it as pirate fort's are normally quite small and compact (well what i found on google anyway)

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

I think it should be as realistic as posable. :classic:

One thing i am thinking though is the size of it as pirate fort's are normally quite small and compact (well what i found on google anyway)

Well, if we look at the 2010 pirate line and look at the Soldier's fort, it is made in a sort of modular way and would be easy to expand. The fort does not need to be gigantic either, it could very well turn out to be a fair sized fort buzzing with activity and populated by over 100 minifigs ...

Should we build in the classic-pirate style with a yellow, white and red color scheme or should we go with a more "realistic" approach with "brick"/rocks walls..

Thoughts?

I vote for the classic scheme, the same way we did classic blue, yellow, and grey/bley in RCB 3.

Thanks everybody for the interest!!! we're off to a good start!!!!

ONe thing I wanted to raise with participants was the following:

Thoughts?

Either is fine by me, but if i had to choose i'd go for 'realistic'.

Edited by BasOne

Realistic for me too!

Something like this, or this, for example.

Looking at any of those pictures, i can see the first person will get the fun job of building the base. :laugh: They do look really nice thought with the smooth water,handy if thay get dusty,you can just wipe them with a cloth. :thumbup:

I don;t think we should build water though, it's going to take away bricks from the build. Once completed though, if there is a need to add some as a "setting" then we could add water to make it "peeeerty"

I don;t think we should build water though, it's going to take away bricks from the build. Once completed though, if there is a need to add some as a "setting" then we could add water to make it "peeeerty"

I was thinking (maybe bending the rules a bit) but adding in some trans blue baseplates for simplicity.

I vote for classic pirates style.

I vote for classic as well, besides that I like it more I think doing so will help keep the build more unified looking. Also the classic style is less piece intensive so we wouldn't have to use, say, six turns just building up the rock base. Something like these (by ZCerberus and Captain K.) would be cool.

harbor2.jpgimg_6361.jpg

I have a question, are we building a Imperial Soldier/Guard or Pirate fort? Because the yellow/white/red is generally for the Imperials. If we're going with the latter, I think we should go with a colorscheme along the lines of black/grey/green in modern style - because Pirate bases are generally smaller it doesn't need to be as big. Just an idea, you're the host so I'm cool with whatever you want. :classic:

Read through EB's 2nd RCB thread you'll understand :tongue:

:laugh:Okay don't sing.

Edited by Skipper

I'm fine with either. I say classic because it sort of keeps a more tongue-in-cheek style to the fort and it will make the whole build so much more fun (especially for those who did not have the original sets, like me) as we can "re-live" (except for me) what it was like to build those sets.

But I also want a realistic set, too. I see that as "new" and "current" and it could show off the builders' skills.

I was thinking (maybe bending the rules a bit) but adding in some trans blue baseplates for simplicity.

I think plain blue baseplates would look better, since there's nothing to see under the baseplates, and they'd be 'legal'.

I think Piratedave is planning to build a starter model with the baseplates and rocks, so I wouldn't worry about that.

The intention is to have a starter model that is much more elaborate than for previous builds which will comprise the rocks and elevations. I am also kind of partial to the classic color scheme and would like to build following a more classic style but the builders will ultimately decide which style to adopt.

As far as wether we are building an imperial fort or a pirate fort, I think we'll be building an imperial fort featuring pirates, when I think fort, I think imperial soldiers, in my mind a "pirate fort" is something in the lines of the classic 6263 Imperial Oupost or 6276 Eldorado Fortress

@ skipper - those are perfect examples of what we're going for! ... With more cannons though!! :cannon:

Edited by Piratedave84

wish i could participate after enjoying the experience of the last RCB, but unfortunately it looks like I'll be siting this one out... look forward to checking in on the build, awesome theme!

Oh, I just realized that I am going to be out for a just a bit more than a week (November 19th to November 27th) and then also again (November 30 to December 3rd). Does that mess up my chances? :sceptic: