Sign in to follow this  
Scouty

Pirate Port

indexed.gif

A find via Brickshelf.com. Don't you find it mighty fine?

port.jpg

Picture is Link

Why yes, mighty fine indeed. More pictures must be being added, as the folder isn't public, but so far I can see this is simply awesome! :laugh:

~Peace

Why yes, mighty fine indeed. More pictures must be being added, as the folder isn't public, but so far I can see this is simply awesome! :laugh:

~Peace

Go figure...it's a good thing I saved the first photo :pir-grin:

I think it's not only mighty fine but mighty fantastic! Yes, more pics would be nice indeed! And I like the colour scheme. There are lots of soldier buildings that are white and that big building of the port is white as well. So this port goes with the soldier sets well.

Edited by legotrainfan

Really good! :thumbup:

I specially like the idea of doing in two levels, and all the "vegetal" structures are also well done. Good find, mr. Imperialshadows.

Great find ImperialScouts!

I especially like the crane and rocks that surround it. :thumbup:

My only advice to the builder would be to add some small details to make it look more lifely.

A find via Brickshelf.com. Don't you find it mighty fine?

Oh my word it is!

Do we know who the creator is? They should know I'd like it frontpaged on Classic-Pirates.com since it's so brilliant!

A great find! I love that hamster wheel! Wonder if it works :pir-devil:

My only advice to the builder would be to add some small details to make it look more lifely.

I wholeheartedly agree; I think that this is one of the major problems with many Pirate MOCs - they go large to impress, resulting in large expanses of nothingness... :pir_bawling:

Do we know who the creator is? They should know I'd like it frontpaged on Classic-Pirates.com since it's so brilliant!

Yes, they should.

This is nothing short of fantastic! And I believe that it would go terribly with other soldier sets. It is too big and it has no cheap shortcuts such as large pieces to be a lego group compatible set. I saw this the other day and for all of you who havn't seen it, you're in for a treat. It is built in a bay sort of thing and has mountains on the other side. This is really cool.

Regards, Captain Zuloo :pir-laugh:

Mighty fine is what it is!

Great find IS! :pir-wub:

It's just great how he made those docks with the funny black lattice fences.

And the crane is just outstanding!

The ship could use some work and a custom sail though, and the setting would truly benefit of some more subtle details.

But despite that a tremendous MOC!

This rather fine creation doesn't seem to be getting much discussion. We better Newsletter it!

Sorry to revive an old thread but I just checked my flickr account and had a couple messages, one of which led me here.

Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions. I can't say how flattered I am, especially to get comments from folks like you. I lurk here extremely infrequently (dug up my ancient username/password to post for a change) but I know the quality work you guys do here. I wish I could build half as well as the folks on this forum.

Its odd that you all even found this since I never posted it anywhere (aside from brickshelf and flickr).

To make this post not entirely me babbling about how utterly honored to have my creation here, I suppose I can mention that I am actually working on adding to this port. I don't intend to add much if anything to what you've already seen. There were some suggestions about adding more detail but I am worried that adding more minifigs/scenery would overcrowd things a bit. Instead I am building an additional structure near the existing one, although I can't really say exactly what that will be yet (still working that out).

Anyway, I'll stop rambling (and probably go back to lurking) but I wanted to really thank you all for noticing this and again for your comments and suggestions.

We don't mind having old threads revived in the Pirate forum so long as the author has something worthwhile to say - and you most certainly have!

It is indeed an honour to have the creator of this fine MOC among us! Ramble as much as you like - it's the good kind of rambling!

My suggestion is keep us updated when you add more to your port. Create a Work In Progress thread if you like!

Its odd that you all even found this since I never posted it anywhere (aside from brickshelf and flickr).

Oh don't worry Mr. Apocalypse; if it's on B-S or Flickr, we'll find it! :pir-skull:

(eventually :pir-laugh: )

Thanx for your comment and looking forward to seeing more of your work :thumbup:

I have finally taken pictures of a new addition to the port. It's a house that I have slowly been working on for the past few months. It's still a WIP, as are a number of other additions/changes I've received as feedback.

6.jpg

The picture is a link to the MOCpage (including a couple shots of the house as it sits in the rest of the port).

Very nice! I must've missed this the first time around. I really love this, even without figs. I also like the brickwork on the house. Keep us posted!

Nice build !!! But do not over-use bricks. It's a nice detail but it can easly create a chaotically and heavy look.

This is the feeling I get when I look at it… said with respect !!!

Constructive criticism:

A) When you use tiles to illustrate bricks it's all about where to place them and getting a balance between them (the composition). A simple trick is to devide your wall with a imaginary diagonal cross and only use tiles in the corners and the center. Like a playing card of 5. Sounds weird... :pir-laugh:

5s.jpg

Now only put tiles/bricks where the spades are. Nothing can go wrong now. What ever Lego parts you already used in or on the wall (windows, doors, ect). The only thing you now have to look out for is the rows of brick you use. Best thing to see this is looking from a distance to your moc.

B) Try also to mix a few tiles of a different shade into a wall of primarily one color (for example: red, dark red).

C) Or use panels/walls. Here the stones are already printed on and in a good opposite & proportion of each other.

For example:

4444p06.gif4444pb01.jpg

But there is a fine article on Classic Castle over "Avoiding the Big Gray Wall Syndrome".

Edited by Capt. Kirk

I have a one of your pictures treated in Paint and I think that it will be better like this. For me even some other bricks here and there could go. Of course it's you MOC and you do what you want with it !!!

Original version

12347272141_DISPLAY.jpg

Treated version

a1.jpg

Edited by Capt. Kirk

I have a one of your pictures treated in Paint and I think that it will be better like this. For me even some other bricks here and there could go. Of course it's you MOC and you do what you want with it !!!

Original version

(Image removed)

Treated version

(Image removed)

Thanks for the advice in this (and your previous) post. To be honest, I actually made a conscious effort to avoid designing the wall in the manner you described (that is, with sparser brick work); I can appreciate the points you made.

I actually have some justification for this. Essentially this has to do with the manner in which I imagined the structure was built - initially it would have been uniformly covered in bricks, but over time weathering/vandalism/etc would have led to missing bricks. The effect is most dramatic on the front of the structure as this is the side exposed to the port. The sides of the house retain more bricks because they are protected by adjacent structures. (The structure on one side has yet to be built.) At any rate, this is just what I imagined. My reasoning may be entirely flawed. And I want to stress I really appreciate your well-though out constructive criticism!

Anyway, I really like the idea of replacing some tiles with dark red, Since I still need to make Bricklink purchase(s) to complete the interior I'll go ahead and order some dark red 1x2 tiles.

Thanks again for the comments and consideration you've given my MOC.

Thanks for the advice in this (and your previous) post. To be honest, I actually made a conscious effort to avoid designing the wall in the manner you described (that is, with sparser brick work); I can appreciate the points you made.

I actually have some justification for this. Essentially this has to do with the manner in which I imagined the structure was built - initially it would have been uniformly covered in bricks, but over time weathering/vandalism/etc would have led to missing bricks. The effect is most dramatic on the front of the structure as this is the side exposed to the port. The sides of the house retain more bricks because they are protected by adjacent structures. (The structure on one side has yet to be built.) At any rate, this is just what I imagined. My reasoning may be entirely flawed. And I want to stress I really appreciate your well-though out constructive criticism!

Anyway, I really like the idea of replacing some tiles with dark red, Since I still need to make Bricklink purchase(s) to complete the interior I'll go ahead and order some dark red 1x2 tiles.

Thanks again for the comments and consideration you've given my MOC.

NP at all and I respect your opinion Apocalypse...

I didn't know you want to create an "old look"... my apologies.

Keep building and looking forward to see the finished result (such as the interior).

Edited by Capt. Kirk