KenAdams

Rebuilding old city sets...

A while ago I found several bins of my old LEGO at my parents house along with a binder with (often worn) original instructions.

It kind of was my reintroduction to LEGO.

I took it upon myself to rebuild all my old sets. Along the way I ran into many missing/broken parts, for which I turned to BrickLink. Many BrickLink orders later I've now got most of the sets completed. A few sets are still missing an expensive piece (like the antenna on #6384). There's also massive amounts of yellowing and teethmarks and wear of years of usage, but that's no problem... this is nostalgia all the way....

Anyway, here's the pic:

wj8ie1.jpg

As you can see it's mostly city with some castle/space/pirates thrown in...

That Star Wars fighter should not have been in the picture LDO -_-

Edited by KenAdams

Excellent! Do I spy the Riding School?! #jealous!!

I kept all my Lego too and really enjoyed rebuilding then all! And ditto on the teeth marks (the tops of trees seemed to be a big favourite of mine!

Edited by eanair

Excellent. I am doing the exact same thing as you just now. I don't have enough parts to complete some so I am working through Bricklink and other sources. The only large building I can find is the 1980s Hospital release but I am having trouble finding all the windows with those irksome striped decals! I always wanted one of the petrol stations and I see you have the Metro Park & Service tower from 1988! Nice.

I must get around to photographing some of mine.

cheers!

You have the best classic collection! Should be very proud :-).

Haha surely it's not the best, but I'm very fond looking at it :) Thanks! Edited by KenAdams

Oh man, jealous! I spy the black truck with the helicopter/trailer. And the racecar hauler towards the back on the left. The gas station. :drool:!!!!

Haha surely it's not the best, but I'm very fond looking at it :) Thanks!

How it is not and you have the Black Monarch's Castle 6085 and city car washing set and other fee unique castle sets!! ;-)

So lovely to see a happy Lego-collection rebuilt from the depths of time! Personally I don't mind wear and discolouration either, as long its not too extreme. Some slight yellowing on grey castle or spaceship parts actually adds some texture to a build.

Nice. That brings back memories. Not only to my own childhood, but also to when I went through my own old LEGO sets 5 years ago. I managed to replace all my broken parts including the antenna you mentioned (for me it was for set 381), but I see the prices for a complete antenna have risen more than 50% in the last 5 years.

When bricklinking for part I searched for old used parts from the same era as I wanted to avoid having new shiny parts from updated molds. Was that a criterion for you as well or not?

When bricklinking for part I searched for old used parts from the same era as I wanted to avoid having new shiny parts from updated molds. Was that a criterion for you as well or not?

Not particularly. I did buy used parts though, so I didn't get much shiny parts... but I only did so because it was cheaper :grin:

Cool, these sets are very nicely put back together. You have a wonderful collection indeed. This has given me the reminder to go into

My old Lego box to find some old mocs from when is was young. I think I am gonna start with my old 4.5 volt train. It has quite a few missing parts but i think i can do it.Thank you

This reminds me on the joy I felt when I put the pieces for my pirate-ship together (the first one Lego did of course) and I discovered that I didn't only had all sails and the yarns for the rigging. but also the anchor and every single piece to attach the sails at. I was really proud of myself. Such a good child I was :grin: