Sign in to follow this  
soccerkid6

Mitgardian Guarded Bridge

I have wanted to try out my wall technique (mitgardian border watch) again, and I haven't made a stone bridge before.

So I decided on a fortified bridge; here it is:

7189751859_89f0e4e93a_o.jpg

All C&C is appreciated :classic:

Edited by soccerkid6

I have wanted to try out my wall technique (mitgardian border watch) again, and I haven't made a stone bridge before.

So I decided on a fortified bridge; here it is:

For more pics including interior and closed shutters/doors go here: More pics!

All C&C is appreciated :classic:

There are some great techniques here I really like the snot bridge, the angle and the wall of the tower look good. i like the window details on the window that overlooks the bridge. the other nice thing is that it is modular. the water looks great and the details are nice too.

great work all around!

Edited by MikeyB

this is an awesome brigde soccerkid!! I really like the angle, the landscaping and the minifig action. Looking all really sturdy and in these days of an upcoming war, we of course need well protected borders!! Let the Nocturnians get at each other's throat, with winter coming we better stay out of this!!

The texture on the doors is really nice; that's a good of that spinner-base-piece-thing. Makes the doors look like they're reinforced with iron, very sturdy. The angle of the tower is also really nice.

I feel like the tower is a little TOO gray, however. At least too much of the same kind of gray. Maybe on the corners where you've got some 1x1 round bricks, those could be replaced with dark gray instead of light? Same thing for the walls on the sides of the bridge. The mixture of pieces gives it a good texture, but it's still all light gray. Maybe a few dark gray pieces mixed in would add a little something to it.

I agree, there is a tad too much of uniformity of the color. It's a great design though! I really like how you did the walls of the bridge as well. :thumbup:

I like how your own style is developing and you always seem to add new things to your repertory of building techniques. Very good job. :thumbup::classic:

@MikeyB: Thank you :classic: I actually wanted to make the bridge in my Border Guard MOC bigger and angled, but didn't have the space. With this build I could actually do it.

@kabel: Thanks, glad it has a fellow Mitgardian's approval :classic: And if anybody tries to mess with Mitgardia we will be ready :wink:

@jFox: I'm glad you like the doors, they are one of my favorite parts :classic: Thanks for giving your honest opinion of the tower, but I don't think dark grey would work well, especially as that is the color of the rocks right under and around the tower. Furthermore I have mixed light grey with bley, and SoT has made all bley buildings, at least for the stonework,

6815216279_068dfd9b20_z.jpg

I may need to start adding even more texture to the walls, but I'm not sure about more colors. I guess I will have to experiment.

@KingoftheZempk: Thanks :classic: ,see what I wrote above about the uniform color.

@Niku: Thanks, it is fun to try and develop your own style :classic: , and I aim to try use a new technique in every MOC, I'm glad you noticed :sweet:

I want to try a round or octagonal building soon.

@soccerkid: I think you should mix because the rocks for building a structure were usually broken right from the sorrounding hills. So the color usually fits the rocks the structure sits on. So mixing dark grey, light grey and sand is not a problem! I usually mix bricks and plates giving it a nice look, like here:

sscn0331.jpg

Nice build Soccerkid! I'm really liking your borders, just makes it so much crisper. :thumbup:

On the topic of the wall colouring, I don't think you necessarily have to add dark bley, tan or something else. I think it looks great here, same with SoT's builds. More texture definately helps, I mean your creations look a lot better since you've been using the log brick more. But I like this look, not everyone is going to like it, but you should stick with your style! :thumbup:

I really like this one. Its the off-square angle of the bridge, the snot wall, nice solid base, other things like the eaves on the roof and the pattern on the doors. Good detail for the small size. I don't think you have to have another tone of grey/stone in there but the more detail you put snot-wise on the walls the less you need or want a second colour, sometimes it can be too much clutter.

Im not bother by the amount of light grey the one thing that you might could add is a band of black like a black plate where the floors meet. Or stepping out a brick on the second floor might break up the grey a bit.

Still I think it looks great!

@Alex the Great: Thanks, I like the borders too. And thanks for encouraging me to stick with my style :classic:

@Cara: Thank you, I find angles almost essential now :laugh: Thanks for your opinion on the coloring topic :thumbup:

@MikeyB: Thanks for letting me know what you think, good suggestions that I will keep in mind :classic:

To everybody: I am really happy you took time to tell me what you think of my build, even if you thought some of it could be improved :sweet:

You keep improve all the time! I know I say it in all your mocs but it´s true! This one is great and I love the uniform color on the bridge! The water is also very nice as well as the sorrounding landscape! Great work!

Very nice. I like just about everything here. I would consider adding some snow to the roof or on the ground of the bridge. Nice work with the doors and the angled build.

@de Gothia: Thanks :classic: , I thought the water came out pretty well.

@ZCerberus: Thank you, that is a very good suggestion that I will incorporate in my next snowy MOC :classic:

As others have said already, your builds keep improving. IMO the colors are perfect and I really like the rockwork. The angle of the bridge adds realisticity to the scene. Excellent job!

@Mikel Kalores: Thanks! The angle of the bridge was actually easier to do than I though it was going to be.

Lovely work. Love the overall scene but especially (as others have mentioned) the angle of the bridge.

Great idea all round! :thumbup:

This is really nice, soccerkid. Modular build is very good - although it is a bit limiting sometimes to have to have regular horizontal breaks, in a simple building like this it adds a lot. I love all the details you put in this, it's an excellent build, and good on you for pushing yourself on techoques. Very nice figure posing too. Great work

:classic:

Well done soccerkid! Both your sense of design and layout, as well as your use of colors, have become really top-notch! I really like that the bridge part is build sideways and configured with the bottom of the upright tower seamlessly. :thumbup:

I hope you keep building and representing Mitgardia and yourself in this kind of glorious light from now on!

Awesome MOC! Your creations are getting better and better all the time!

the bridge with a tower running through it is a great idea, one that I may one day steal uh borrow :wink:

eager to see more from you.

=Dangerous Dave=

Edited by Legonardo Davidy

@Basilicus: Thanks!

@robuko: Thank you, you are right about modulars, I usually prefer hinged walls but they weren't going to work well on this buillding.

@Sirens-of-Titan: Glad it meets with the Jarl's approval :sweet: The bridge is hooked up to a technic brick with a half pin and a headlight brick sideways on top of that, it works well and is quite sturdy once it is in place in the landscaping. I am already planning some more builds for Mitgardia :wink:

@Legonardo Davidy: Thanks :classic: You are welcome to the bridge/tower idea, I have lots more coming :laugh:

I feel like the tower is a little TOO gray, however. At least too much of the same kind of gray. Maybe on the corners where you've got some 1x1 round The mixture of pieces gives it a good texture, but it's still all light gray. Maybe a few dark gray pieces mixed in would add a little something to it.

I strongly disagree. The color of rocks used can be the same, it depends what kind of rock you're using. So Kabel has a point if it's a kind of rock with diversity in color. So in this case it should have been all dbg. But ofcourse with this tower he must have used imported stones :tongue:

It is possible that a castle or tower is mainly the same color, but if you look at a castle these days: They have been there for centuries and have been rebuild serval times, so yes there will be color difference. And this tower isn't that old yet, so all gray: YES!!!! And with all the different pieces used even better!

So great job, even more with that angle and the surroundings. Also love the texture of the door :classic: Keep it up!

Edited by Ecclesiastes