Lars

MOC: z-74 speederbike

indexed.gif

Over the years I've made several versions of this bike based on the idea that the sense of speed, and the illusion of the minifig actually riding it, could be achieved by bending his legs backwards.

Let me know what you think about this 74-Z speederbike.

3210912390_1c3666d89d.jpg

3209750678_9625355acd.jpg

3209750506_5bf8a4e7d7.jpg

Edited by KimT

Truly amazing.

A speederbike the way it should have been done by LEGO.

You wouldn't have a picture of all the parts you've used for it?

I'd like to make a few of those and an inventory sure would be handy :blush:

3212786767_0bcc8f385e.jpg

EDIT: Ooooh, you do have such a picture

Again a nice MOC! :thumbup:

Totally agree - this should have been the speeder TLC should have made. Thanks for showing the breakdown so we can see the parts you used is.

:cry_happy: A very good MOC you brought us here. Your speeder bike is far better than LEGO ones. I will definitly need to get the parts to build my speeder bikes :wub: .

It represents very well the speedness of the bike and you added so many details.

Love it, though the mix of old brown and red-brown is distracting my eye a bit. Did TLG ever release those traingle pieces in red-brown?

Yes, they're on te mini hailfire ;)

I have build one with the picture you made !! I think it;s just great !

Only thing I changed is that I raised the back by adding 2 jumperbricks and fitting the front there ( sadly this takes away the coneshape thingy ) .

Still, it is SO worth having a speeder at this level of building ! :sweet:

grtz Saint

Very nice. I really like the design. Very realistic compared to the movies, and better than Lego's. They should do the legs that swing back.

ah. looks a lot better than the original one. the power of imagination and lego.

this should be indexed!

That's an amazing speeder bike! Thanks for the picture showing all the parts. I'm definitely going to try to build one of my own.

the moc is nice.

though i wouldn't put down lego's official model. for one, some of the parts aren't in production anymore (eg the hinge pieces).

secondly, lego models need to be strong enough to withstand kid's play. i.e. must be swooshable. this means no "illegal" methods such as clip-on-clip action, or technic pins as studs, or some of the snot techniques.

if you look closely at the construction method, you can see the two long beams are connected to the main frame by only 2 studs. the torque force is too large and they will be prone to breaking off from the frame. the frame is constructed of snot techniques which kids wont be able to follow.

the way the handle bars are connected to the frame is too flimsy. not sure why he used these pieces 30241.jpg30377.gif instead of these 2921.gif59230.gif

that's not that i'm saying the moc isn't good. i'm just saying official models have constraints. :classic:

edit: ops...figured out why the handlebar configuration needs to be like that. umm, could use the headlight brick and perhaps this? 4599.gif

Truly a great MOC there Lars :wub:! I can only join the choir of positivity! Well done, and I´m also going to have to build me a couple of them.

CopMike

@ natelite :

Headlights wont work, because you can't stick the technic thing in. I tried :wink:

And just because the front and the back join by two studs, its still a good MOC .. only downside I found was that the Brick itself doesn't quite grip into the bracket.

The only slightly negative thing I found was that when you take the Scouttrooper out, the model tends to get to its original position ( fron 2 studs back to 2½ size ).

It's a shame Lego doesn't hase the triangular shape things in Dark Green or in Tan... that would be just great :wink:

Grtz Saint

A very accurate and, well, speedy looking speederbike indeed! :thumbup:

Very nice work indeed. :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to how it will compare to the new speederbikes in the Endor set.

For now this is my favorite. :laugh:

Very nice MOC. Its always hard to create something so accurate with so few pieces. As some people have said, its probably fragile, but in terms of display purposes yours is much better than TLC's. Keep it up!

@ natelite :

Headlights wont work, because you can't stick the technic thing in. I tried :wink:

oh, didn't know that. :sceptic:

And just because the front and the back join by two studs, its still a good MOC .. only downside I found was that the Brick itself doesn't quite grip into the bracket.
if you look closely at the construction method, you can see the two long beams are connected to the main frame by only 2 studs. the torque force is too large and they will be prone to breaking off from the frame.

exactly what i said. :classic: probably worded differently. AFOLs should be able to hold carefully and swoosh, but a kid will break that in seconds.

the moc is nice. though i wouldn't put down lego's official model.

also i didn't say it's not a good moc. i said it was but the official model has its own merits. :classic: i just want to be clear in case ppl think i am dissing this moc. i'm not. :thumbup::tongue:

Simply the best Z-74 that's ever been built in LEGO. Ever. I remember when I saw the first version on Brickshelf ages ago and copied it for my Star Wars army.

I just made my rock raffle entry, and I used your new speeder design in it. Awesome.

Again. Amazing. I hope you wouldnt mind sharing the design. Its so awsome. Cant wait to see whats next.

Thanks. I'm glad to see that you liked my speederbike design.

My plan is to build different versions of this model as well as trying to build other SW speederbikes in the same style.

The first one is easy. Hoth trooper speederbike.

3416327240_1088d8b8ec.jpg

3418445105_61388f7047_m.jpg

A different design for the plates in the front on this one. Although the road sign plates is released in white, I think this design works fine. This technique offers a way to make speederbikes in a lot of different colors. And those perfect little triangles doesn't exactly look like those plates from the movie anyway.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

More at my Flickr.

Thanks. I'm glad to see that you liked my speederbike design.

My plan is to build different versions of this model as well as trying to build other SW speederbikes in the same style.

The first one is easy. Hoth trooper speederbike.

3416327240_1088d8b8ec.jpg

3418445105_61388f7047_m.jpg

A different design for the plates in the front on this one. Although the road sign plates is released in white, I think this design works fine. This technique offers a way to make speederbikes in a lot of different colors. And those perfect little triangles doesn't exactly look like those plates from the movie anyway.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

More at my Flickr.

WOW! This looks awesome also!

The front makes it looks really sleek and it would looks perfect if you added a snow background to it :thumbup:

Do you have any ideas for the next Speeder you're going to make?

Edited by CommanderCody77

That has to be the best speederbike ever. Its just like the one in the movies. also the snow one is Amazing. So keep it up.

Edited by clone killer