Sign in to follow this  
exstatik

60051 extra carriages

Hi all! I've been a long time guest and always appreciated people's detailed and helpful posts on topics I've researched. I am a long term 12v fan and have a fairly decent collection, which unfortunately stays packed away most of the time. I do hope to set up and will hopefully be able to share some stuff on here.

Anyway, I'm on here for some advice regarding the 60051. I've recently decided to get my little boy started on Lego trains and managed to secure 2 sets for him. I thought this would be a really good starter set for him as he is only 4 at the moment and he loves inter-city trains!

I was thinking of keeping the tracks from both sets and adding some points to make it a more interesting layout and adding the additional carriage. What I was wondering is what I can make with the two engines? Do they turn into more carriages easily enough/ with not many more additional parts? I was hoping to get as much out of the additional set as possible and maybe selling the PF parts to help fund more sets for him.

Thanks in advance!

I seem to recall I did the same, The left over pieces from the 2 engines nearly built 1 extra carriage to the standard design, with only a couple of required bricks from bricklink. However I was then left with a rather strange double ended engine using the 2 cab pieces, they are not much use for anything other than a train or plane as you know.

The power functions parts probably have minimal second hand value on ebay, maybe £20 if you are lucky and that maybe before ebay taxes, but your kid will probably benefit more from them in future to build his own design of engine.

Paul

You could build a train simulator with the extra end pieces:

1833.1464384016_zpscyzqjnjl.jpg

Or maybe a SNCF X73500 style railcar:

prod_34673.jpg

You could build a train simulator with the extra end pieces:

1833.1464384016_zpscyzqjnjl.jpg

Or maybe a SNCF X73500 style railcar:

prod_34673.jpg

We built 6 pieces of the same rail buses. Where else to apply part of the nose of the train - do not know. In the background photo shows two of these. About simulators we do not even know what they are.

But now we have a long train of 8 pieces sets 60051 (we bought each separately for 52 US dollars per sale).

And here there is a great theme to build a two-story cars. http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=120866&hl=60051

IMG_20160216_142634.jpg

Thanks guys! This is fantastic information. I might even take that spare PF set and have a go at doing one of my 12v trains! Those rail buses are a really clever idea. I'm hoping to fall in love with these 'new' PF trains, I am very much attached to 12v

Hi all! I've been a long time guest and always appreciated people's detailed and helpful posts on topics I've researched. I am a long term 12v fan and have a fairly decent collection, which unfortunately stays packed away most of the time. I do hope to set up and will hopefully be able to share some stuff on here.

Anyway, I'm on here for some advice regarding the 60051. I've recently decided to get my little boy started on Lego trains and managed to secure 2 sets for him. I thought this would be a really good starter set for him as he is only 4 at the moment and he loves inter-city trains!

I was thinking of keeping the tracks from both sets and adding some points to make it a more interesting layout and adding the additional carriage. What I was wondering is what I can make with the two engines? Do they turn into more carriages easily enough/ with not many more additional parts? I was hoping to get as much out of the additional set as possible and maybe selling the PF parts to help fund more sets for him.

Thanks in advance!

I bought two and you'll obviously have one middle carriage immediately.

You'll be a couple of tinted windows and roof pieces from a second middle carriage.

Then the third you'll need to buy more roof pieces, greys for the ends and windows, you'll need a bogie and a pair of wheels for this one!. All of that stuff is on bricklink and cheap, you can probably find. And then I redesigned the roof on my 7745 train and jammed the 2nd power functions motor on there.

I would suggest selling the second set unopened. Use the cash to get a station and some extra track.

Your son is 4. He won't care if his train has 3 or 4 or 5 carriages. He'll have a train that runs and having a station to stop at will be more fun than a longer train.

Also, build it up slowly. You want the best for your boy but giving him too much too soon might not be the best...

I would suggest selling the second set unopened. Use the cash to get a station and some extra track.

Your son is 4. He won't care if his train has 3 or 4 or 5 carriages. He'll have a train that runs and having a station to stop at will be more fun than a longer train.

Also, build it up slowly. You want the best for your boy but giving him too much too soon might not be the best...

Very good advise, or at least a unique point of view

When he's 6 I would challenge him to make the inventory lists of what's required for bricklink purchases for another car or two for the train.

I was thinking of selling my second train, I'm glad that I didn't because by the time that I would have pieced together all of the wheels, bases and Power Function components for some MOC's I'd be out almost as much as the stupid train costed, everything else is kinda free at that point.

One motor will pull a 4 car (six with the cabs) pretty good. You can then make an MOC out of the other motor.