I know this is probably a long-shot, but I am very interested in buying a wooden LEGO duck toy like the one below. I would like to find one in very good condition, with most of the original paint and the LEGO decal. An example like the one below would be good for me. If you have one you would like to sell, or you know someone who might be able to help, please let me know.

I'm looking for this duck because I recently purchased a photo from eBay that appears to show a child playing with the same exact pull-toy. (See 2nd picture.) It would be nice to have the actual duck to display along with it. :classic:

360_6ebc75e4112e253fb3f7c366f8751c91.jpg

24173835684_221fbe61c8.jpg

There is a guy on Flickr with Wood Lego https://www.flickr.c...@N04/6967101102

These are over 60 years old.

Hi Wardancer. Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the tip. The wooden toys are so hard to find it seems like to best way to acquire them is through other collectors. Being able to walk into an antique shop and find one would be a dream come true...but considering I live in the U.S. this will likely always be a dream. hehe

I actually recently got a wooden duck from a guy on ebay for around $100 US I think, might have been lucky with that auction win though. His name is Matchboxunlimited. He's located in Denmark which explains why he has a lot of amazing wooden and other old Lego listed on ebay all the time. But since he's in Denmark, hopefully you dont mind the shipping. Mine certainly sits nicely on the shelf. On condition, mine has over most of the paint, one side is better than the worse so I display it on the betters side, but some of his others that where listed where far worse, it also appears to have part of the rope! Who knows, might be a better one on ebay at one point. Just a long waiting game till he lists another one. Good luck on getting one!

~Beltar

Edit: Link didn't work

Edited by Commander Beltar

I actually recently got a wooden duck from a guy on ebay for around $100 US I think, might have been lucky with that auction win though. His name is Matchboxunlimited. He's located in Denmark which explains why he has a lot of amazing wooden and other old Lego listed on ebay all the time. But since he's in Denmark, hopefully you dont mind the shipping. Mine certainly sits nicely on the shelf. On condition, mine has over most of the paint, one side is better than the worse so I display it on the betters side, but some of his others that where listed where far worse, it also appears to have part of the rope! Who knows, might be a better one on ebay at one point. Just a long waiting game till he lists another one. Good luck on getting one!

~Beltar

Edit: Link didn't work

Hi Beltar,

You lucky, duck! :classic: Do you have a flickr account where you could post photos? I would love to see the duck!

Thanks for the tip. I know of Matchboxunlimited and have purchased from him in the past. Regarding the specific duck I'm looking for, he told me he'd keep an eye out for one. He is one of the best sources on eBay for wooden LEGO toys, but I also find that you have to really do your homework when doing business with him. He almost never points out flaws with items, such as missing parts. You have to really look at the pictures and ask questions before bidding. I have also found that some of the toys he had listed as LEGO were definitely not LEGO. I figured this out after buying a dog from him. The wheels had grooves in them. Through further investigation, I never found a dog that looked like the one I had. The LEGO toy collectors I have spoken to have never encountered LEGO toys with rubber tires around the wheels, and they are almost certain this never happened. I did find a dead ringer in the form of a dog made by a German toy company known as Gecevo (later, Verhofa).

The Gecevo/Verhofa toys often look very similar to the LEGO toys. In fact, some of them are nearly identical in size and shape. In the 1950s at least, the 2 things that distinguish them from LEGO toys are the white rubber wheels and a small circular metal emblem featuring the logo of the company. I was able to buy a Verhofa duck (the same duck was made under the earlier Gecevo name) that looked like one of LEGO's. One of these ducks had been sold as a LEGO duck on eBay and sold for over $170 USD. It was missing the emblem, but you could see a circular spot of discoloration where it would have been. Meanwhile, the Verhofa duck I purchased from Germany was only around $20 USD. I would say the quality is on par with LEGO's wooden toys, but the difference in price is significant. When you buy a LEGO toy you are paying for the LEGO name. Gecevo has become forgotten over time. Here's some examples of the toys they made:

http://www.ddr-holzspielzeug.de/hersteller/gecevo.html

Anyway, the point I'm getting at is that, sometimes, without the LEGO logo it can be very hard to tell whether or not some wooden toys are LEGO. That's why when it comes to the duck, I want one with an original logo (though I also realize that at some point in the future, these might also be faked).

Thanks for the luck...I will need it!