Sign in to follow this  
TWP

Strange members

I hope this question was not asked many times before, but if it was, MODs, feel free to merge this topic.

When I look at the homepage, looking what members are online, I see this list:

Google, TWP, The Executive, noahsdad, Lord Vladivus, obsidianheart, Anio, Kumpelkante, LegoDrake, New_guy, Etzel, Numbuh1Nerd, Bing, LEGO Family, de Gothia, Bison, Endgame, pranas, DanFraser, Cryos, peter_m, ChrisW, Venunder, Tech-nick, Treader, Lyichir, Faefrost, Freddy Bricker, Gunman, Superficial Username, Kintobor, CorneliusMurdock, TheLegoDr, Dafonz187, fhomess, Lockon Stratos, Brickdoctor, Palathadric, Sinner, TheLegoChronicler, MandaloretheLesser, Spiralpad, hooky, DOTM Shockwave, JGW3000, JM1971, Front, Tamamono, DaBCalselycle, williejm, jluckhaupt, tkatt, Cutcobra, olliebojangles, Skalldyr, YippyYoda, Phoxtane, Facebook, The Legonater, ScotNick, bQeqGQCleQ, badbob001, Tyfett, tzotblbriegm, The Penguin, Bregir, zipper778, Admiral-Ackbar, Ludzik, gmshades, UdaQuai, timslegos, JimButcher, Nuju Metru, Kez, commodore_legolas, landoandrews, Haderach, selfshot, VSDwdOrVHa, Mordalak, billyneon, strangely, Scop, Wojtasz78, ShadowWolfHount, Lord LOLrus, Pix, Waterbrick Down, Mephek, Infernum, MSN/Bing, JustinYum, WhiteFang, Garwolak, Super Brick Collector, Error404, Xyver, Lasse D, Kingriedak, TanTile, Scouty, -obelix-, Kalhiki, Mark of Falworth, sologuy369, snaggletooth, Clone O'Patra, Crackerjack, TheBear, TrumpetKing, Deathleech, Darth Caedus, DarkAvenger741, provoaggie, ResIpsaLoquitur, daniel gourhan22, Ecclesiastes, Professor Flitwick, TinyPiesRUs, Sam892, plocageourala, vvETiHkvjK, Wineyard, aurly, charlieboy, VanderleiSilva, Cammo

What I wonder, is why Google, Facebook, MSN/bing is among all those other names, what it means and why they are there.

If I drag my mouse key over names, except those sites, I can see their profiles.

I think it's down to the script that checks who is 'using' the site logs the username of everyone and also the search engines (and similar) that are scanning the site at that time.

I'm sure someone can explain that better but I would assume that search bots from Google etc were accessing the site at the time of you being there... hence them being listed as active users.

It means our worst fears have been realized and the Google and Facebook databases have evolved sentience. But on the positive side, they appear to be Lego fans. All hail our new cybernetic AFOL Overlords!

It could be a web crawler, or sometimes I (and I am sure others) find it easier to search Eurobricks from Google by using Eurobricks as part of he serch term.

Andy D

Google and Bing are search engines. Its a way for them to have easy access to the content for search results. Facebook is so its easier to share content on Facebook. Like when I'm looking up something on Google for ideas or research with a MOC it shows alot of results from Eurobricks if it's common.

It means our worst fears have been realized and the Google and Facebook databases have evolved sentience. But on the positive side, they appear to be Lego fans. All hail our new cybernetic AFOL Overlords!

:head_back: I wonder what this means in LEGO-related terms.

I know it's not the same kind of strange members you've been talking about, but lately (in the past 2-3 weeks or so) I've seen about 20 members randomly spring up (sometimes within minutes of reading topics) that are spamming different topics with copied posts... :look:

Yep, just bots. We get this question at least once a year...

I know it's not the same kind of strange members you've been talking about, but lately (in the past 2-3 weeks or so) I've seen about 20 members randomly spring up (sometimes within minutes of reading topics) that are spamming different topics with copied posts... :look:

If you notice this please report it. It's a spammer trick; they come back later and update the post and/or signature.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that, actually thought that was what this topic was about.

Thanks for the replies!

Yep, just bots. We get this question at least once a year...

I'm sorry :blush:

But I think I understand it now a bit, but still it does not make sense to put them in the user list?

Well, don't mind, it is what it is.

I too have noticed a spring in new members, but no spam. Just yesterday, I went on the community indez every 5-10 minutes, and without any exaggeration, I saw a new member almost each time. Is it usual for Eurobricks to get THAT many new members all at once? It seemed like I was going crazy, what with all those new members and all. I guess you could say we had a baby boom in members recently.

bots trying to fake post count to get around the forum limitations like link, image, attachment, etc.

Just report em if the post is by a new person and looks like a pointless quote or copy & paste with no useful indication it was made by a live person. The moderator can check into it and ban the bot before the bot can spam.

I too have noticed a spring in new members, but no spam. Just yesterday, I went on the community indez every 5-10 minutes, and without any exaggeration, I saw a new member almost each time. Is it usual for Eurobricks to get THAT many new members all at once? It seemed like I was going crazy, what with all those new members and all. I guess you could say we had a baby boom in members recently.

That's "normal", yes, but the board software recognises most of them as spammers and they get automatically banned.

That's "normal", yes, but the board software recognises most of them as spammers and they get automatically banned.

Wow, Eurobricks must be very popular then.

Wow, Eurobricks must be very popular then.

It seems a lot of times that they sign up, make a post or two, and then don't really continue posting/using Eurobricks. :sceptic:

Yeah I've noticed, when scanning through the members forum you'll notice most are vassal's, and those that aren't haven't been online for a while (years). It seems Eurobricks roster of active members changes slowly, some may join today, leave tomorrow, and the system will rinse and repeat.

Apparently we have 33481 members, but then I see members, (Freddy Bricker for one) who are numbered in the 70,000s. I guess most of the rest were spammers.

We squish 'em with a hammer or a giant foot.

...Or smash them with this hammer! (from a certain video game) :wink:

Hammerssb.jpg

Edited by Lego Spy