Bob De Quatre

[MOC] Yet another Super Star Destroyer Executor...

Hello there, I'm planning to build an Executor for some weeks now, and upon my research for references, ideas, execution method, I've come across this forum with lots of talents, and lots of SSD :classic: ...

I'm still in the "shapes and proportions" phase, and as it seems to be a recurent topic here, I decided to post my 3rd iteration on the frame and wings.

lddscreenshot1.png

lddscreenshot2.png

lddscreenshot3.png

I haven't touched a Lego brick in the past 15 years, so I'm a little rusty, but memories are coming back surprisingly quickly.

I've got to practice with LDD, so I've designed a copy of Raphael Heusser brilliant mashup of Star Wars and Cars (can't post links, but you'll find him at mocpages)... And I'll definitely build it !!

lddscreenshot4x.png

Bonjour!

heh, it is entertaining to see another SSD fan :-) I wish you luck in your construction! Some thoughts on angles/sizes, for your consideration as you're planning your SSD

- you've noticed that the city expands at a slower rate to the wings and have implemented that with plate-offsets :thumbup: . I also tried that and was experimenting with using the rail pieces to get quick-and-dirty half-plate offsets.

- with polite respect, I think your tail starts too close to the wing tips. If you look at the top-view of the SSD, compare the point of intersection with the tailing edge of the body and the city line, and where the tail begins. Perhaps you could consider making your tail slightly thinner---but this will also shorten your tail somewhat, and there's still an ongoing debate with Aeroza and Morstesv about the correct length :laugh:

- I think the angle that joins the tail and the wings should be 45o!

However, these suggestions may not be tractable on a narrow-body SSD. I use the 2x4 wedge plates for a wider body, and so what I think looks good on mine may not work with the 3x13 plates!

May the Force be with you and your MOC, and keep us posted on your progress!

cheers

John

Hi Bob,

first of all welcome to Eurobricks! And what a first post, amazing work! :thumbup:

I am one of the MANY Executor fanatics on this forum and I'll be more than happy to comment on your design. Quick note, I think your design is already beautiful; the following comments are just suggestions towards perfection - which may never be fully realized through the medium of LEGO :wink:

You LDD MOC has a very nice, sleek profile looking very much like the studio model :wub:

My mate has created this blue print based on the studio model.

Quick question, it seems you have based you model on Lasses Deleuran's excellent Executor MOC - is that so? Just curious, because many of the proportions and the general desing seems to be the same.

When you look at the blue print, it seems the the tail of your MOC is a smidgen too wide compared to the width of the ship, and the city does not stretch backward far enough.

Then there is the recurring topic of width. You basically have two options when designing the angle of the main body - which in turns decides the width of the ship: the 12x3 wedge or the 4x2wedge. The 12x3 is far the most used and the one you are already using. Using this will give you are more narrow rendition of the ship - which some may find preferable based on how the ship is generally perceived when watching the movies. The 2x4 wedge option gives you a wider ship which is actually closer to the width of the studio model. It will be a bit too wide, and can be perceived as more wrong as the narrower option. However, many people often think that the studio model itself looks too wide - so this all comes down to perception and personal preferences.

Keep it up! :thumbup:

EDIT: OMG Skayen beat my reply by three minutes! :laugh:

Edited by mortesv

EDIT: OMG Skayen beat my reply by three minutes! :laugh:

heh heh, you have to be quick ;-) At least we said essentially the same thing about the tail, though ;-)

cheers,

John

Thanks for your replies.

The fact is that I've read and read again both your posts here.

First I wanted to build the Lasses Deleuran's Executor, mostly because the parts list and instructions were available. Then I found the Aryo Gono modifications on Lasses design. That's when I discovered LDD and started rebuilding Lasses model on LDD.

I then discovered this Eurobricks two weeks ago, and the beautifull SSD models here.

So I've read all the discussions about width, angles, and so on ;)

Skayen your work for a more realistic SSD is amazing and you don't have to "with polite respect" me! If I've post so early design, it's to have your advices. Constructive criticism is always a good thing ;)

I've compared my MOC to the 3D renders Aeroeza made, and it lead me to reshape all the bottom side.

A few days ago I gave a try at the 2x4 style... and as Mortesv said, I concluded that even if the shape is realistic, it looks wrong... plus it will cost more :hmpf_bad:

So I'll stick with the 12x3, and hope for lego to release a 6x1.5 plate :laugh:

I'll work on the tail, I haven't spent enough attention to it!

Hello there, I'm planning to build an Executor for some weeks now, and upon my research for references, ideas, execution method, I've come across this forum with lots of talents, and lots of SSD :classic: ...

Well other than saying good luck with it, I not able to talk about proportions or anything, however you'll have no shortage of info here :laugh:.

I've done some engines placement and I'm not quite happy with the result, but it's due to the narrower body...

lddscreenshot4.png

lddscreenshot3z.png

lddscreenshot2d.png

I don't think the width is a problem, it is a matter of finding the right size engines :wink: It doesn't look that far off, but perhaps the cylinders which make up the forward part of your engines are tiny bit too wide? Also, the middle engines are a bit shorter than the engines in the back, look here

I don't think the width is a problem, it is a matter of finding the right size engines :wink: It doesn't look that far off, but perhaps the cylinders which make up the forward part of your engines are tiny bit too wide? Also, the middle engines are a bit shorter than the engines in the back, look here

I'll ask Skayen what parts he used to make the engines :wink:

I'll ask Skayen what parts he used to make the engines :wink:

heh, well, in my model the big engine uses 60208 for the end and 41531 for the body, and the small engine uses 30360. The LGR 10221 uses 30360 for the big engine and 2x2 cylinder pieces for the small engine. I upgraded my engines because I want my Executer to travel faster (which also explains why I will assemble it in red, too;-), but mainly because my version is wider. You should check out how your arrangment sits in its gap in the hull. While you can get away with almost anything with the other engines that 'hang off' the engine bay, the forward engines have to fit in the gap, but also fill it out. The bottom plates on my hull underwent many, many adjustments until I was happy with the arrangement :-)

Edit: I noticed that your engines aren't all the same, which is interesting. I use two types depending on size (ie. the forward layout is ABA, the middle layout is BA and the rear layout is BBB). I think your more detailed look is kinda cool btw, but mine are just cylinders ;-)

Edit2: depending on how much you care, but check how you stagger your engines. I think your forward engines should move outwards a little more. The middle engines overlap the inner front engine, and strictly speaking (although I don't do this myself), the rear engines are wider spaced than the front and middle, but I can see you've got that under control. Just more things to consider :-)

Edit3: and here is a shot of my engine arrangement. It looks crazy because my SSD is in for servicing, and I colour things to make my life easier. (I am currently rebuilding the top missing plate.) Also, this is my new tail version 3! Slightly thinner, slightly shorter! Now with no added sugar!

underconstruction-L.png

cheers

John

Edited by skayen

heh, well, in my model the big engine uses 60208 for the end and 41531 for the body, and the small engine uses 30360. The LGR 10221 uses 30360 for the big engine and 2x2 cylinder pieces for the small engine. I upgraded my engines because I want my Executer to travel faster (which also explains why I will assemble it in red, too;-), but mainly because my version is wider. You should check out how whatever arrangement you come up with sits because while the other engines 'hang off' the engine bay so you can get away with almost anything, the forward engines must also properly accommodate the gap in the hull (which you've already allocated). The bottom plates on my hull underwent many, many adjustments until I was happy with the arrangement :-)

Edit: I noticed that your engines aren't all the same, which is interesting. I use two types depending on size (ie. the forward layout is ABA, the middle layout is BA and the rear layout is BBB). I think your more detailed look is kinda cool btw, but mine are just cylinders ;-)

Edit2: depending on how much you care, but check how you stagger your engines. I think your forward engines should move outwards a little more. The middle engines overlap the inner front engine, and strictly speaking (although I don't do this myself), the rear engines are wider spaced than the front and middle, but I can see you've got that under control. Just more things to consider :-)

Edit3: and here is a shot of my engine arrangement. It looks crazy because my SSD is in for servicing, and I colour things to make my life easier. (I am currently rebuilding the top missing plate.) Also, this is my new tail version 3! Slightly thinner, slightly shorter! Now with no added sugar!

underconstruction-L.png

cheers

John

Here are the engines I use.

lddscreenshot5p.png

Red is a fast color! I'm sure my Millenium Cars Falcon can make the Kessel Run in less than ten parsecs!

Here are the engines I use.

lddscreenshot5p.png

yep, I see that you are using the same wheel hubs that I was considering, before I opted for the sleek aerodynamic goodness of turbines :-) The engine assembly on the model /is/ properly cylndrical (albeit with a varying radius); all the 'detail' is saved for the support around it. In related news, I would recommend cylinders rather than cones for the smaller engine :-)

Red is a fast color! I'm sure my Millenium Cars Falcon can make the Kessel Run in less than ten parsecs!

heh ;-)

yep, I see that you are using the same wheel hubs that I was considering, before I opted for the sleek aerodynamic goodness of turbines :-) The engine assembly on the model /is/ properly cylndrical (albeit with a varying radius); all the 'detail' is saved for the support around it. In related news, I would recommend cylinders rather than cones for the smaller engine :-)

heh ;-)

I know the cones are not the ideal part, the 30360 didn't satisfy me either...

At a glance it looks like you both have placed the forward engines a bit too close to the middle engines - length wise. As far as I can see the forward engines should be moved a stud or two more forward, perhaps a stud more than that on Skayen's model.

This observation is based on the modelermagic photos, where the two gaps between the three engine sections look to be not that different in length.

Is red really faster? Perhaps I gotta change mine... :laugh:

Ok, so we've been busy with the engineers remodeling the upper right flank, placing engines, building houses for the stormtroopers on the forward "undercity"...

lddscreenshot6x.png

I've rebuild the frame but still can't get rid of a very annoying offset...

lddscreenshot7q.png

This is awesome stuff Bob! I'm lurking with appreciative anticipation!!! :grin:

Your lurking is appreciated :sweet:

(...)

I noticed you guys use LDD to build these. Unfortunately, i never really figured out the ins and outs of that program, but i do know that Ldraw/MLcad offers some very handy tools for submodels, grouping, rotating and moving submodels/groups, etc. Wouldn't that program be easier to build your models in?

By the way, i really like the improved angles on the tail section. It looks much better this way, except maybe for the 2 or 3 studs sticking out at an odd angle at the corner on the rear.

Good luck on your project! :thumbup:

...except maybe for the 2 or 3 studs sticking out at an odd angle at the corner on the rear.

I hopped this two would stay unnoticed... :hmpf:

I 've tried to install MLCAD, but installing LDD was simplier and cleaner, mostly at work (yes I build Lego during my lunch time, and even sometimes... shhh! if someone ask you, you never know!)

I know MLcad offer some usefull features... I should give it another chance ;)

I built several structures for SSD.

And you are facing THE difficult part of an Executor.

Basically, it is just a triangle. But keeping this triangle "in the system" is pretty tricky...

Good luck. :)

I built several structures for SSD.

And you are facing THE difficult part of an Executor.

Basically, it is just a triangle. But keeping this triangle "in the system" is pretty tricky...

Good luck. :)

Let's ask Lego to produce triangle parts !!!

Greeble, greeble...

lddscreenshot6.png