Sign in to follow this  
Thetford

Modularised 6332 Command Post Central [MOC LDD]

6332f.jpg

Command Post Central, the police station of the Town Jr era, distinctive by its use of trans green windows, released in 1998, was my first ever Lego set. As such, the set set earns a special place in my Lego collection (which since joining here, I have realised is quite meagre). Anyway, as you may know, the Town Jr era was criticised for its use of simplified building techniques and large pieces, and sets released during this period get heavily mocked today. To combat this, I have created an LDD* model heavily inspired by Command Post Central's aesthetic, using the Creator Modular Building guidelines (in regards to sidewalks, connections, storey heights and access). I have designed it in a way that uses more common, hopefully cheaper, bricks (cue many posters saying x brick is now hugely expensive on Bricklink), that when I do eventually decide to build this, it will be fairly reasonable to. OK, there aren't any fancy building techniques, and does not have the cute storybook gingerbread details like the modulars, but I'm content with it. I guess it also could be converted to an office building. Apologies in advance for the awful pictures, LDD can be a nightmare to get decent camera angles in. 2942 pieces.

Command%20Post%20Central20_zpsu6viy10z.png Command%20Post%20Central22_zpsnup1vjmu.png Command%20Post%20Central18_zpsxswlriwr.png Command%20Post%20Central_zpsfnmgulkf.png

This MOC is fairly modern in style, incorporating many modernistic elements (I think ... I'm a town planner not an architect!) utilising clean lines, floor to ceiling windows that rise up the entire building. The tower is four storeys high (each floor exactly 10 bricks tall). The top three floors are interchangeable, (and can even be ommitted if a one storey building is desired), as each floor has the same footprint, and staircase located in the same place.

Ground Floor: Foyer

For public enquiries, the foyer has a front desk and waiting area, and a notice board for community information. In addition, the ground floor also contains access and a car port for patrol cars.

Command%20Post%20Central3_zpsxzhyk2fr.png Command%20Post%20Central4_zpsaiexnzsa.png

First Floor: Holding Cell

Features a cell with sliding door to hold any suspects, complete with a utilitarian bed, also has a waitig area for the public, bailers and the yet to be locked up, as well as a vending machine and water cooler for the thirsty.

Command%20Post%20Central6_zpsjimcnwsa.png Command%20Post%20Central5_zpsyweo3dru.png Command%20Post%20Central7_zpsbrcq3in3.png

Second Floor: Squad Room

Using the latest in computing technology, the police can track down suspects from the (dis)comfort of their office chairs, this floor also includes the break room to fill up on coffee and steal yoghurts, and the Chief's office, with panoramic windows to observe all.

Command%20Post%20Central8_zpsrn180pxj.png Command%20Post%20Central12_zpsv2lsescz.png Command%20Post%20Central11_zpsbv1a3awf.png Command%20Post%20Central10_zpsxksbwzgs.png

Third Floor: Forensic Lab

Where all the actual detective work is done according to modern television, here is where the lab rats find the killer who always uses a highly new and exclusive product, made by only one manufacturer and sold in only one store in the city, that happens to keep a record of its customers, which includes the only person they met since the murder occurred. The lab includes the central work table thing with a microscope, a fridge to store evidence, as well as the evidence locker which is protected from tampering.

Command%20Post%20Central13_zpswhgoqlma.png Command%20Post%20Central14_zpsi2bgsvlh.png Command%20Post%20Central15_zpsvowbxswf.png

Comments, criticisms and opinions welcome.

*Due to being a financially strapped student, any and all brick built models will have to wait until I graduate and commence a career. Though I do wonder how extortionately expensive the modulars of today will be by then.

I love it! I think we're the only people here in EB that actually LIKE a Town Jr. set. My favorite is 6600 Highway Construction. But I also like CPC because of the colors, which have never been used in a City or World City police set since then. But I think you could at least try to make a billboard using the one from GE, but with police stuff.

Edited by ilikeboomerang1

Nice Downtown building. I think it would be perfect as an office building or a bank as well. Agreed on the lab floor.

I like it.

I'm not sure about the holding cell being accessible by the public.I'd consider turning that into an interview room and maybe having a separate floor with two holding cells?

The forensic lab is my favourite aspect. Really nice details.

@ilikeboomerang1, yeah I have that set too, I wonder why they didn't use those road pieces more often, I guess they must have been pricey to produce, and not long afterwards introduced the wider road plates we have today. I accidentally destroyed one of the crane A frames when I left it in front of the warm air vent, I have been wondering how to utilising the surviving frame, best idea I have so far is to use it as exposed framework in front of an office building.

@Agent 86, yeah, I'm not 100% sure about that floor either, it feels a bit empty. I think I will keep it to one cell, though I might add more rooms on that floor, with a similar floorplan to the forensic lab,narrow hallway, four wide room next to it, and add more stuff to the bay window office, might turn that into an interview room, and move the vending machine down into the foyer.

I'm a little surprised about the praise for the lab, it was a last minute addition as it was originally going to be a command/emergency response centre (similar to NASA mission control is how I could describe it), with the evidence locker being a server room, but I just didn't want another floor full of desks.