Sign in to follow this  
anothergol

Those Chima sets..

Talking about sets 70226 (Mammoth) & 70227 (King Crominus) (& also 70225), I've never seen Lego sets be at a constant -50/60% sale for so long (even though it seems to be the end for the croc), they have been at the top in Brickwatch for months & months.

Has Lego flopped worse than this recently? When they went out, I thought, ok they're very ugly, but Lego does market testing, surely kids loved those sets. But apparently not, and the parts are so big & useless that no one even seems to want them for the parts either.

I wonder why these were made.

Edited by anothergol

Yeah... back in June, my local Walmart had the Tiger's Mobile Command set and a bunch of other Chima sets in the clearance section for half off. I get the feeling nobody wanted them... I sure didn't. I'm pretty sure that's why Chima was killed off so abruptly: The designs were getting worse and worse!

Yeah... back in June, my local Walmart had the Tiger's Mobile Command set and a bunch of other Chima sets in the clearance section for half off. I get the feeling nobody wanted them... I sure didn't. I'm pretty sure that's why Chima was killed off so abruptly: The designs were getting worse and worse!

Nd to think they tried replacing Ninjago with that!

My local TRU has had the same lineup of ten Chima sets (Four Crominous sets, two Mammoth Walker things, two Mammoth fortresses, the Ultimate Phoenix, and Sir Fanger's walker) for the past year. They've literally been sitting on the shelf next to each other in plain sight since last May and the order in which they are arranged hasn't so much as moved.

There's actually a thick layer of dust on them now. :laugh:

Yeah, if Lego thought that theme would have successfully replaced Ninjago, they were about as wrong as one can be.

Even the Lego stores were practically giving away all the polybags at some point without a purchase.

AC

I only see Chima set at Walmart any more. And the reason for that is they haven't discount the stuff. I get the feeling they don't want to.

Plus, I think the set get over saturated in the market without any variety. The same figures over and over, if you look at the "eagle tribe" you would only think they had one member in the last wave for an example.

Edited by samuraiturtle

I still see them, discounted for months, on the shelves at Walmart and on the discount table of the LEGO Store.

I still see them, discounted for months, on the shelves at Walmart and on the discount table of the LEGO Store.

Well I have not seen them discounted for very much at Walmart. I think that is part of the problem.

If Chima were an all-around flop, like the first post suggests, then it would not have lasted nearly as long as it did, not to mention would have gotten a lot smaller a lot faster. LEGO may not be able to change its plans at the drop of a hat, but they've shown time and time again that they can pare down or cancel an unsuccessful theme on much shorter notice than that. Case in point, Ultra Agents. It only lasted three half-year waves. By its third wave, which consisted of just three sets, it had been made a Toys 'R' Us exclusive in the United States and had been discontinued altogether in several other countries. By contrast, Chima lasted six half-year waves. By the end, it had shed some of its less successful categories like Speedorz and constraction/buildable figures, but its last three sets were still distributed worldwide and at general retail, and the monthly magazine in the UK still had a circulation of over 54,000 as of June 2015. Not at all what you'd expect from a theme in crisis.

I can't help but notice that most of the comments here about the sets lingering on clearance are from US members. It seems to me that Chima was just a lot more popular in Europe than the US. That wouldn't surprise me, since the same thing happened with Fabuland back in the 80s. Maybe European kids are just more fond of toy animal characters than American kids? The Chima characters DO have a lot in common with European toy figures like these ones, after all. It's been confirmed that the Chima constraction series sold better in Europe than they did in America, hence the 2014 wave of those not coming to North America at all.

Overall, I'm hesitant to call either Chima or Ultra Agents a flop just because they didn't live up to expectations, because chances are LEGO discontinued them before they actually stopped being profitable. So they are still decidedly more successful than themes like Galidor, Orient Expedition, and Discovery that the LEGO Group actually LOST money on.

That's a shame, Orient Expedition was much better than Chima.

There may be something to the European vs American markets argument, though. At the same time, I would have gobbled up ThunderCats, which arguably wouldn't have been all that much different. But the official license would have made it much more appealing.

I feel like the TV show was what made Chima flop... Imagine if Ninjago was made to where it's hard for people who aren't kids to watch it... But worse since animals are pretty easy to appeal to kids...

But that's just my opinion. The show left me pretty disappointed, and I feel like they could have done better with that.

I'm not saying that the sets were perfect or whatever, I feel like the tiger tribe was a weird addition, explaining why people may not have wanted them. And those new parts seem to be best suited for mech suits and vehicles...

Edited by gamejutzu

I feel like the TV show was what made Chima flop... Imagine if Ninjago was made to where it's hard for people who aren't kids to watch it... But worse since animals are pretty easy to appeal to kids...

But that's just my opinion. The show left me pretty disappointed, and I feel like they could have done better with that.

I'm not saying that the sets were perfect or whatever, I feel like the tiger tribe was a weird addition, explaining why people may not have wanted them. And those new parts seem to be best suited for mech suits and vehicles...

What about the newest Big Bang theme?

I guess it's still a bit early to tell how ratings and sales are going, but I feel that the Nexo Knights television show is atrocious. I', not a fan of Ninjago, but it's much better than Nexo Knights.

Edited by x105Black

I dunno, didn't watch shelves in stores but Ninjago has always been more known then Chima here (Netherlands).

I even doubt Nexo knights will be succesfull.

But even within Ninjago there is different layers of succes. I have no numbers but I feel that spinners are still the most succesfull in the "gaming" department with bricks compared to airjitzu. Spinners were everywhere. Stores held tournaments etc. But you don't see that with airjitzu.

What about the newest Big Bang theme?

I guess it's still a bit early to tell how ratings and sales are going, but I feel that the Nexo Knights television show is atrocious. I', not a fan of Ninjago, but it's much better than Nexo Knights.

I haven't heard anything really specific about how the Nexo Knights TV show is doing with audiences, so it's probably safe to say it's not as big a hit as Ninjago. For comparison's sake, Ninjago seasons one and two were a huge and widely publicized hit for Cartoon Network… though the lack of similar boasting about Nexo Knights might also just be a sign that Ninjago and other Cartoon Network shows like Adventure Time and Steven Universe have raised the bar for their programming compared to what was considered newsworthy in 2012. In any case, if I had to guess about Nexo Knights' future I'd say it probably won't last more than three years, but then again Ninjago's longevity caught me (and for that matter, even its creators) by surprise.

I've enjoyed the Nexo Knights TV show overall, and the Book of Monsters (which is written by the TV show writers) really reflects what the series' writing can be like at its absolute best. But some episodes have been underwhelming — it doesn't feel quite as consistent as Ninjago was in its first season. By comparison, Chima's first three episodes didn't totally impress me, and while I continued to enjoy the storybooks and some of the sets (mostly bought on clearance or obtained as review copies), that "meh" reaction to the show did keep me from becoming as big a fan of that theme as I was of Ninjago or now Nexo Knights.

I never liked the Chima line. It was a good idea, but the execution was subpar

This set is one of the worst LEGO sets I've ever seen

pTRU1-21052698dt.jpg

I'm not surprised to see no one wants it, even with a -60% discount

I never liked the Chima line. It was a good idea, but the execution was subpar

I dunno. Story-wise the execution might not be up to snuff, but set-wise, for every sub-par set like that one you pictured, there's a great set like Laval's Fire Lion, Gorzan's Gorilla Striker, Lennox's Lion Attack, Eris's Eagle Interceptor, Worriz's Combat Lair, King Crominus's Rescue, or basically any of the Legend Beasts or tribe packs.

There aren't a lot of themes that consist of all hits and no misses — of current themes, Ghostbusters and Elves are some of the only ones I can think of that have been consistently strong, and they're both fairly small and new themes compared to Chima. While Chima never really lived up to its full potential, I think it did alright for itself.

Sad thing is, I still see last year's sets at my TRU with no clearance whatsoever. The prices are marked up $5 too so that's not helping. It's a shame that this theme will go on to be one of the most hated themes in Lego. I wish it could've done better.

I never like Ninjago, but however some of the sets are pretty good and I can understand why people like them.

But Chima? I never like them and set designs are getting worse. It's 2016 by now and I can still seeing some Chima sets from 2013 is sitting on the shelves in the nearest shopping mall from my house! Even with a 50 - 60% discount, nobody seems to want to get the sets either.

If Chima were an all-around flop, like the first post suggests

I was only talking about those 3 ugly sets. I don't know more about Chima & I've bought some (bird) minifig heads from the theme, as I find them well made.

It's just those 3 particular sets that, unlike most Lego sets, are also useless part-wise, regardless of the theme.

the Nexo Knights television show is atrocious

lol

Compared to Ninjago, i'd say Nexo Knights could use some work.

Chima was too kid-oriented, Ninjago is serious. It looks like Nexo Knights tries to be a mix...

lol

Compared to Ninjago, i'd say Nexo Knights could use some work.

Chima was too kid-oriented, Ninjago is serious. It looks like Nexo Knights tries to be a mix...

Yeah, it's just a bit too kid-oriented for me. Too much silly / stupid kid humor.

Yeah, it's just a bit too kid-oriented for me. Too much silly / stupid kid humor.

Yup. With Chima, I wished they focused more on treachery, loyalty, etc. Instead they just had characters fake fighting and saying one liners. Even the serious moments were kid-ized.

And with Nexo Knights, there's less characters to be cheesy with, so this helps. They also extended the seroius moments, but not completely.

If you watch any episode of Ninjago, you really will see a noticeable difference when it comes to these aspects. And LEGO may have replaced it with Chima...

Edited by gamejutzu

I dunno. Story-wise the execution might not be up to snuff, but set-wise, for every sub-par set like that one you pictured, there's a great set like Laval's Fire Lion, Gorzan's Gorilla Striker, Lennox's Lion Attack, Eris's Eagle Interceptor, Worriz's Combat Lair, King Crominus's Rescue, or basically any of the Legend Beasts or tribe packs.

There aren't a lot of themes that consist of all hits and no misses — of current themes, Ghostbusters and Elves are some of the only ones I can think of that have been consistently strong, and they're both fairly small and new themes compared to Chima. While Chima never really lived up to its full potential, I think it did alright for itself.

I wouldn't say that Elves has been consistently strong. Even if I set aside the minidolls, I would say that Elves took at least 1 or 2 waves to really find itself, and that while it may be stronger than some themes, I wouldn't consider it a strong theme. And Ghostbusters has 3 sets, 2 of which I like, and 1 of which is not bad (the newest one).

It was a pretty ok theme as you can tell the lego designers had fun making it and I did enjoy the wolves tribe sets everything was quite good except for fire and ice, but was very hard to find in europe and uk :tongue:

Edited by SodorBricks