Sign in to follow this  
TheOneVeyronian

[MOC's] Nexo Knights Bestiary: Magma Monsters

Hello!

I may as well post about my latest MOC project here. If you're into Nexo Knights, you may have played the Merlok 2.0 app that accompanies the series. I've been playing it often for a few weeks now and I love the variety of monsters that the game shows. But at the same time I was disappointed that quite a few of the more unique monsters don't exist in sets. I noticed they seemed relatively feasible to build so I set about reverse-engineering some of the monsters from the game. This is the result:

25769950394_ac2629c013_z.jpg

From left to right, Storm Eye (Spinnie - LXF); Lava Beetle (Spinnie - LXF); Fire Scorpion (Spinnie - LXF); Magma Clapper (Spinnie - LXF)

They are all possible to build in real life (cross-checked through Rebrickable) and I may make instructions for them all at some point. Of course, I tried to recreate them as accurately as possible but ultimately 100% accuracy to the game models proved to be impossible.

So once I'd built the in-game models, I thought I'd have a crack at creating my own magma monsters to fill out my own Book of Monsters bestiary. So I started by creating this dragon, imaginatively I called it Magma Dragon:

25919255940_f3fc3d6814_z.jpg

(Spinnie - LXF)

This model uses 100% legitimate PCC's (the slope on the snout finally exists in black! Yay)

NEW: Behold, the lavarang-slinging Flame Wraith, the new monster from the Merlok 2.0 app:

27677334984_1e65d090c8.jpg

(Spinnie - LXF)

This guy was extremely tricky just to turn into bricks, let alone a buildable in real life model, so I did kind of forego my "legit PCC's only" rule here in favour of better accuracy. That said, I suppose it's a semi-WIP as I might go back to it later, so I'd appreciate some thoughts and ideas about what pieces or techniques I could apply to make the Flame Wraith both recognisable and buildable in real life :sweet:

This is an ongoing series so I will be creating new magma monsters for it, if you want to see them first, be sure to follow my Flickr page. Also check out the project's dedicated Bricksafe page to make browsing the spinnies linked here much easier.

I'll also be building these in real life at some point because I want to add them to my NK diorama I have planned.

As always, comments and helpful criticism more than welcome. And if there's a certain animal or plant you'd like to see me turn into a buildable magma monster, post here and I'll definitely consider it :grin:

Haha yes! I was hoping somebody would make these from the game!

They look awesome, well done.

These look like Bluerenders, how'd you get the sphere's face?

Edited by CM4Sci

Haha yes! I was hoping somebody would make these from the game!

They look awesome, well done.

These look like Bluerenders, how'd you get the sphere's face?

Indeed. I was surprised nobody beat me to it actually :grin:

They are definitely Bluerender renders, including all the spinnies since Bluerender makes it so quick and easy to make them (each one took about an hour and a half). The Magma Clapper's face is one from one of the bloblins from Beast Master's Chariot and was added during post-processing in Photoshop :classic:

Oh, right, I knew where it was from, just wanted to know how you applied it. Thanks!

Great builds, I really like the Dragons. I assume those are dragons.

Thanks! The ones in the second picture are definitely dragons. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what kind of creature the Magma Clapper in the first picture is supposed to be :laugh:

Lots of scary monsters here :thumbup: Your magma dragon is especially fearsome, great wing and tail designs there :wub:

A bit of a necropost so apologies for that, but the Merlok 2.0 app was updated with new levels recently and I finally had a crack at them - and discovered a new monster to add to the bestiary. Behold, the lavarang-slinging Flame Wraith:

27677334984_1e65d090c8.jpg

(Spinnie - LXF)

This guy was extremely tricky just to turn into bricks, let alone a buildable in real life model, so I did kind of forego my "legit PCC's only" rule here in favour of better accuracy. That said, I suppose it's a semi-WIP as I might go back to it later, so I'd appreciate some thoughts and ideas about what pieces or techniques I could apply to make the Flame Wraith both recognisable and buildable in real life :sweet:

Can you do the magma monsters from episode 9 and 10?

http://vignette4.wik...=20151012012638

The only reason I haven't attempted that one yet is because somebody else (here) has already done a pretty good job in recreating it in brick form. But I could have a go at it once I've finished something else I'm working on, for sake of completing the "official" Bestiary :sweet:

Honestly I can't believe nobody else has attempted to recreate any of the app monsters, the only MOC results of them that I get from Googling "Nexo Knights monsters" is mine :grin:

I really like how you made the boomerangs on the arms. Nice work. I really love all these designs.

The only reason I haven't attempted that one yet is because somebody else (here) has already done a pretty good job in recreating it in brick form. But I could have a go at it once I've finished something else I'm working on, for sake of completing the "official" Bestiary :sweet:

Honestly I can't believe nobody else has attempted to recreate any of the app monsters, the only MOC results of them that I get from Googling "Nexo Knights monsters" is mine :grin:

I think (?) you would be referring to me? (If so, thanks :blush: ) As it happens, I'm in the process of modifying my original design. We'll see where that goes.

Edited by Mr Greeble

I really like how you made the boomerangs on the arms. Nice work. I really love all these designs.

I think (?) you would be referring to me? (If so, thanks :blush: ) As it happens, I'm in the process of modifying my original design. We'll see where that goes.

Thankyou, I must admit that it turned out that the boomerangs were the easiest parts to design once I hit on the idea of using an arch piece for the cutaway shown in the game model. You wouldn't believe the number of different builds I came up with for the body before settling on the version in the render. Building the Flame Wraith turned out to be more difficult than defeating one in the game (an all Level 5 Lance with nearly maxed out weapon makes short work of Flame Wraiths :grin: ).

And yes, I was referring to your design for the show-exclusive monster, which I saw a few months ago. It's the only recreation of that monster I've come across and I like it very much :sweet:

*huh*

What I mean is, you've spent all this time designing these great looking lava monsters, and you may even be hoping that designs similar to these are used in later sets.

The joke was that, what if the next wave or season of Nexo Knights has ice monsters instead?

Edited by gamejutzu

What I mean is, you've spent all this time designing these great looking lava monsters, and you may even be hoping that designs similar to these are used in later sets.

The joke was that, what if the next wave or season of Nexo Knights has ice monsters instead?

Most of these designs are based on lava monsters in the Merlok 2.0 app which I believe is non-canon - I know they're never going to get set representations (there's no way a Magma Clapper even remotely close to it's game appearance could have been in a set, the legs wouldn't be stable enough over time) but most of these are built as such that you could build them yourself if you wanted to :sweet:

Also, if the physical Book of Monsters is to be believed, I think next year we're getting plant monsters and sea-themed monsters. Maybe the app will bring us new plant monster designs? Who knows, but if it does they'll likely be added to the Bestiary project too. But ice monsters, those sound very cool (pun intended). If it's a problem, just do a quick palette swap to make my lava monsters into ice monsters! Problem solved :laugh:

My surprise came from that I thought you had information that next year's wave would be ice monsters.