Sign in to follow this  
Steven L

LDD; huge tall ship MOC (WIP)

Hi all,

For the last couple of weeks I've been working on this tall ship.

126 canons,

(so far) 4455 bricks,

the midship region consists of 3 32x32 base plates,

it's got three levels and a top deck.

The size is so out of proportion that I couln't use the regular masts.

The shrouds had to be doubled in length to reach all the way to the crowsnests.

The sails are a range of round bricks and car panels.

Right now I'm putting ropes on the masts and sails.

(Forgive me, I'm not used to the proper terminology of ships)

It needs a few more things like an anchor, rowing boats, a large crew.

A little sidenote: this LDD creation is not made to turn it into a real brick model, just as a 3d digital model.

I have no intention to make this for real, so I've used the colors creatively. I know some bricks aren't available in every color.

war_ship_01_by_steven6773-da6x8xc.png

war_ship_01a_by_steven6773-da6x8zs.png

war_ship_01b_by_steven6773-da6x91q.png

war_ship_01c_by_steven6773-da6x93f.png

Hi

I'm moving this to the Pirates section where I hope you can get better feedback then in the Digital Design section.

Well first of all, this ship does look something like 1680 French second rate ship of the line: L´Ambitieux, even though its yet a bit "crude and harsh on the edges" so to speak. I really like the balcony idea youve implimented and the stern decrations are great addition as well!

As of what to improve:

Have you had any inspiration from some ships or looked at the pictures of sailing era´s SOL`s? If not, Id suggest you take a look at them. Id space the guns a bit more even. And offset the guns when going from lower deck to another. This actually made the ships sides more sturdier and stronger I belive. Try to get rid of that white on the hull as right now it just looks odd and off place. Im not going to tell you to change the masts as that would be a real pain to do.

Keep us updated on the situation!

Captain Becker

Thanks for your reply, Captain Becker.

I have little to no knowledge on ships. What I did for this build is Google "tall ship" and look at the pictures it showed up.

It's a mix of a couple of Google hits. I used closeups of various parts of various tall ships to come up with this tall ship.

Thanks for mentioning l'Ambitieux. There are a lot of good pictures from all sides of this vessel online.

Looking at l' Ambitieux I've noticed a few things.

I can see the offset guns, a modification that is not hard to do on my ship. I have to look into that.

While I'm at it, I can add little shutters on the gun ports.

The shrouds (if that's what they are called) go on the outside of the hull, not on the inside.

The white on the hull can be the same color as the rest, no problem.

I don't know what your thoughts are on the masts, but I see I have to alter the ropes because they are supposed to go back at an angle rather than straight down. While I'm doing that, I could change the masts if it isn't to much work.

Suitable name by the way, l'Ambitieux. Because it's rather abitious to create this huge MOC.

Well first of all, this ship does look something like 1680 French second rate ship of the line: L´Ambitieux, even though its yet a bit "crude and harsh on the edges" so to speak. I really like the balcony idea youve implimented and the stern decrations are great addition as well!

As of what to improve:

Have you had any inspiration from some ships or looked at the pictures of sailing era´s SOL`s? If not, Id suggest you take a look at them. Id space the guns a bit more even. And offset the guns when going from lower deck to another. This actually made the ships sides more sturdier and stronger I belive. Try to get rid of that white on the hull as right now it just looks odd and off place. Im not going to tell you to change the masts as that would be a real pain to do.

Keep us updated on the situation!

Captain Becker

I agree with almost everything but the only real ship to compare this one with is a Swedish Royal Wasa. Did you see it?

For now I've added lanterns to the stern. I'm not totally happy with it, but it's a start. It's one of those things I can fiddle about with, from time to time.

I've also reduced the number of guns and offset them. It looks a lot stronger built this way. Thanks for the tips.

war_ship_01e_by_steven6773-da7cfmb.png

war_ship_01d_by_steven6773-da7cfes.png

I've also looked into the Swedish Royal Vasa. It does look a lot like my creation. But the stern, no matter what, has to be more ornate. More decorations, more gold.

More to come soon. Tips and ideas are welcome!

Looking good. Its a pity you couldn't make it with real bricks. Well you could, though it would be really expensive.

I've decided to alter the stern. Now the back panel is made of stages, onto rows of hinges. This way I could make slanted windows. All of the hinges, except from the top stage, are obscured by the balcony and fences.

war_ship_02_stern_01_by_steven6773-da948mf.png

Here is a sideview where you can see the back panel slanting outward.

war_ship_02_stern_03_by_steven6773-da948m0.png

The last picture shows more of the statues. I'm going for mythical animal creatures.

war_ship_02_stern_02_by_steven6773-da948lo.png

For easier and faster working, I've saved a part of the stern. Later I can join the stern to the rest of the ship.