I'm one of those who have big visions for future projects, but never really has enough patience to finish them - and if I do, I'm not satisfied enough with it to bother presenting them. This time though, I think I'm on to something. I've always been fascinated by big mobile cranes, especially the ones with lattice booms suits LEGO building very good. There has been built some really nice replicas of such cranes, like Dennisbosman's, erikleppen's and M_longer's. I have chosen to build what I find to work best functionally and aesthetically, rather than replicating a real crane. So far, I've only done the chassis:

1.png

It has 12 wheel steering controlled by the HOG at the back. I have "cheated" slightly by making the two front axles steer with the same angle, this was necessary because I wanted to avoid any gear increase between the axles as it would be likely to jerk the steering. There is a dummy V8 engine connected to axles #5&6. The three levers in the front controls four motorized functions in the chassis:

1. Rotation of the invisible superstructure. :sweet:

2, 3 and 4: Swivel, extract and deployment of the stabilizers.

23.jpg

Most difficult by far was the stabilizers. The goal was to make them fully functional and controlled from the chassis without using seperate motors in each stabilizers. The solution was to mount them on seperate turntables, and use the same technique as in 8043 and 8258. To make the deployment of the stabilizers possible after being extracted I've used the old gray 20 tooth double bevels sliding on a 12L axle as they stick very poorly.

14.png

8.jpg

More pics can be seen at Brickshelf as soon as it's approved. A proper presentation and videos will probably come when I finish it. :classic:

Edited by Pauger

Looks great i was tempted to make a SSl mobile crane which would of had 16 pf functions. :blush:

Your progress looks great so far.:thumbup:

How big is the radius if you are driving a circle?

I haven't measured, but I would guess it's around 50 cm. It's not very agile with its 85 cm long chassis.

Edited by Pauger

amazing :oh3: can you make instuctions for the stabilizers thay are amazing :wub:

Edited by olaf9198

I haven't measured, but I would guess it's around 50 cm. It's not very agile with its 85 cm long chassis.

Hmm, I thought the radius would be bigger. In my opinion its a good relation to the length of the truck.

amazing :oh3: can you make instuctions for the stabilizers thay are amazing :wub:

Agreed, they look so simple yet effective! I cant wait to see more.

tim

Droooool. This is looking like one tasty MOC. Can't wait to see the finished result :) Good luck with the rest of your build.

Now THIS looks interesting!

And it looks very functional, which is a good thing. Nice how you got the outriggers to move sideways, then extend and deploy. That's an impressive feat. On the other hand, I can't help but think, this chassis must be flexible as hell, because studless usually is very bendable and this doesn't look strengthened enough to combat that. But oh well, you're clearly focusing on functionality, which is great!

Thanks for nice feedback :classic:

I'll see what I can do. I'm very impatient when building digitally :tongue:

Now THIS looks interesting!

And it looks very functional, which is a good thing. Nice how you got the outriggers to move sideways, then extend and deploy. That's an impressive feat. On the other hand, I can't help but think, this chassis must be flexible as hell, because studless usually is very bendable and this doesn't look strengthened enough to combat that. But oh well, you're clearly focusing on functionality, which is great!

I don't really recognize the problem. There is almost no space between the axles, so the chassis doesn't really get the chance to bend as long as it's on the ground. And when lifting the chassis there isn't any visible bending at least. There is basicly three horizontal beams going through the entire chassis, which gives decent strength to the chassis. I recon it will be a bigger problem when building the superstructure though, as it will be terrible unbalanced when the boom isn't mounted.

I can give you a little tease. :classic:

Not entirely satisfied with the superstructure yet, the slewing is too laggy and unreliable. I guess I have to rebuild the turntable.

Edit: speaking of which, Olaf :wink:

imag0322_resized.jpg

imag0323_resized.jpg

imag0324_resized.jpg

Edited by Pauger

2 things :oh:*oh2* it is realy nice

but i think you have too made it higher like Liebherr's LG 1750 (It is a idea)

Edited by olaf9198

2 things :oh:*oh2* it is realy nice

but i think you have too made it higher like Liebherr's LG 1750 (It is a idea)

Nah.. the superstructure on the lg1750 is dismounted when the crane is moved, mine is going to be permanent like in the lg1550. Therefore I want it as low as possible, which is also what it is.

Oke, now i see it looks realy nice looks very simular also with it's rotating cab ( any plans for boom sections or transport vehicles( i have 1 truck & flatbed))

Edited by olaf9198