I know this is maybe a bit late, but when looking at the Technic sets, I noticed something weird in the description of 42008:

When a vehicle is stranded, make the rescue with the heavy-duty LEGO® Technic Service Truck with tons of realistic powered functions. Activate the included LEGO Power Functions features to extend the rear outriggers or extend and raise the fully adjustable crane arm into position. Then lower the hook with the working winch, unfold the rear wheel lift and load a vehicle to tow. This awesome 2-in-1 Service Truck also features 8 wheels, all-wheel drive and hydraulic lifting element. It’s just like the real thing! Rebuilds into a truck with a crane that can raise and lower, grabber, outriggers and detachable trailer.

As we all know, this is very true to what you actually get in real life, just like the 42005:

Features extreme 4-wheel suspension, all-wheel drive, flame detailing and monster-size wheels!

This 2-in-1 model features 4-wheel suspension, all-wheel drive steering, flame detailing and monster-size rubber tires!

What the megablucking hell is all-wheel drive steering? Whatever it is, I think 42009 has it too:

Also includes a rotating superstructure, 8-wheel drive, 5 axles, 10 wheels and a detailed V8 motor with moving pistons.

Really, LEGO, what the heck? Hydraulics? All-wheel drive?

I'm a bit disappointed.

TLH

With us its: we buy it for what it does.

With kids: they see it, read it, and want it more.

It's all about marketing. For me, I want see what it looks like, see what it does, and A PARTS LIST. Like the new twin rotor plane I want it. I seen it and a parts list and fell in love.

I know it's marketing, but I don't really think the lies are necessary. It's LEGO, for megablocks' sake. Kids love LEGO, I'm sure they wouldn't lose any customers if they didn't say the sets have all-wheel drive.

They probably mean "all of the wheels move". But you're right they should change there writing. Because any 10-18yr old is going to check YouTube or forums or other sources for reviews and/or opinions about a set before asking there parents.

That looks suspiciously like a rather dodgy translation rather than an intentional marketing move. Just some of the wording feels off. Plus confusing Hydraulic for Pneumatic. Etc. did their marketing department just run something through Google Translate then toss it up on the web?

TLG should stop doing this. It's a quality toy, badly presented. It devalues all the thought and the customer care that Lego are good at it. It's sloppy for a brand that waves educational credentials around a lot. It's also misleading, at least in the UK where product descriptions need to be accurate under consumer protection law. I doubt anyone is ever going to sue over it, but it's bad for reputation and could cause unnecessary customer service incidents.

On the other hand they've been doing this at least since I could read, so 1984 or so. Catalogues have often featured translation mistakes and misleading descriptions.

/soapbox

Edited by andythenorth

Its really unacceptable since they have a major presence in Connecticut, just up the road from me - can't they get someone to proof-read these descriptions? Heck, I'd do it for some non-cash compensation. :wink:

That looks suspiciously like a rather dodgy translation rather than an intentional marketing move. Just some of the wording feels off. Plus confusing Hydraulic for Pneumatic. Etc. did their marketing department just run something through Google Translate then toss it up on the web?

Being a translator myself, I am 99.99% sure that LEGO wouldn't use Google Translate for their translations, and 99% sure that the human translators employed by LEGO know the difference between hydraulic and pneumatic.

BTW: In the German catalogue for 2014, they also claim that the boom on 42008 is operated hydraulically.

Like lazylegoist said, I couldn't imagine that Lego would put their stuff through Google translate. I'm sure that in Danish (or whatever language it's originally written in) has different words for hydraulic and pneumatic.

And thanks to Jim for changing the topic title. :thumbup:

TLH

The reality is the sets "replicate hydraulics, etc" so maybe there needs to be some correction. I will look out for this on my next vsit to the lego store.

H

TLG should stop doing this. It's a quality toy, badly presented. It devalues all the thought and the customer care that Lego are good at it. It's sloppy for a brand that waves educational credentials around a lot. It's also misleading, at least in the UK where product descriptions need to be accurate under consumer protection law. I doubt anyone is ever going to sue over it, but it's bad for reputation and could cause unnecessary customer service incidents.

On the other hand they've been doing this at least since I could read, so 1984 or so. Catalogues have often featured translation mistakes and misleading descriptions.

/soapbox

Can't remember which one it is, but one of my old sets is described as "four-wheel-drive", when it isn't. So, yes, they've been doing this for years.