snaillad

Modular Art Deco Department store.

indexed.gif B-OM-3C

Hi everyone!

I have completed my final MOC on my main street based on the buildings from the 1920/1930's. I only changed it to the 40's so I could build slightly more modern vehicles! :laugh:

It is an Art Deco department store which is based loosely on the ones built in the UK by M&S, Burtons the tailors, the co-operative and Woolworths to name but a few.

Its a shame most of the buildings are now falling apart :sad:

Its completely Modular, each floor is sturdy and has stair access.

I made the building minus the interior before my last corner bank a little while ago but have now only got round to furnishing it.

The ground floor has fine furniture, the first floor has ladies perfumes and cosmetics, and the top floor is a toy department.

Apologies again for the quality of the pics. Bad lighting and poor camera phone!

6002399655_b7cbc710ba_z.jpg

6002394719_ab1734e47d_z.jpg

6002945030_cc222e7b8b_z.jpg

6002403623_80462fb262_z.jpg

More external and interior pics can be found here and MOC pages.

Also here is the link to my Corner Bank and Corner Office.

Comments and criticsms welcome!

It's very roomy on the inside and I like what you've done with the floor tiles. Very nice MOC

Your modular setup with the three houses and the tram is really cool. Quite true to the period.

Keep up the good work.

Everyone knows art deco is my favorite building style, yours as well 'snaillad'.....old F.W. would be proud of your creation.

Total :drool: , that ground floor frontage screams Woolworth's - anywhere F.W. ones or even our Aussie (bushranger style nicking of the name....cheeky eh ? :devil_laugh::laugh_hard: ) stores.

The van is wonderful, I just want :moar: of the same ! :grin:

The ladies accessories floor is just the bomb, though I see something missing....cash registers or the air-tube/wire money carriers to the cash room ? :look:

In any case just fantastic designing, 'snaillad' and totally Brick On.....in art deco ! :laugh:

Very nice 'snaillad'. This building looks great! I love the work on the exterior and from what I can see the interior is just as elegant. More shots please?! Can't forget the old van either. Like 'lt said, I want one too! Great job default_classic.gif

I was a big fan of your first two Deco buildings, and this one definitely keeps the same high level of quality. The exterior is great - the massing is perfect and the details are at just the right level. The interiors are your best yet, and both the flooring and the furniture is excellent.

Please don't let this be your last Deco building! I'm with lightningtiger in my love for the style.

Fantastic! I wasn't completely sold on it after having seen the first images you put in this post, but the interior that's visible in your Flickr is nothing short of spectacular, in colour, detailing, and style. Top notch. And that van is lovely!

Everyone knows art deco is my favorite building style, yours as well 'snaillad'.....old F.W. would be proud of your creation.

Total :drool: , that ground floor frontage screams Woolworth's - anywhere F.W. ones or even our Aussie (bushranger style nicking of the name....cheeky eh ? :devil_laugh::laugh_hard: ) stores.

The van is wonderful, I just want :moar: of the same ! :grin:

The ladies accessories floor is just the bomb, though I see something missing....cash registers or the air-tube/wire money carriers to the cash room ? :look:

In any case just fantastic designing, 'snaillad' and totally Brick On.....in art deco ! :laugh:

Love Art Deco and have seen so many buildings like this when im out and about during the day. I would have liked to have made it a little wider with a few more columns in but would of ran out of room on my street scene :laugh: I only found a handful of pictures of inside department stores from that time so its a little bit of guesswork to do the furnishings. Never seen any with airtubing. Perhaps I should have included it in my bank moc instead! :laugh: Thanks for the positive feedback!

Very nice 'snaillad'. This building looks great! I love the work on the exterior and from what I can see the interior is just as elegant. More shots please?! Can't forget the old van either. Like 'lt said, I want one too! Great job default_classic.gif

Thanks! There is some more shots if you follow the link underneath the pics. The quality of some pics isnt great though!

I was a big fan of your first two Deco buildings, and this one definitely keeps the same high level of quality. The exterior is great - the massing is perfect and the details are at just the right level. The interiors are your best yet, and both the flooring and the furniture is excellent.

Please don't let this be your last Deco building! I'm with lightningtiger in my love for the style.

Thanks! I find I can be alot more creative with cladding, the difficult part is aligning the cladding with the top of each level. I was a little sceptical about the flooring especially on the ground floor but upon reflection I am pleased with how it turned out. It definitely wont be my last Art Deco building!

Fantastic! I wasn't completely sold on it after having seen the first images you put in this post, but the interior that's visible in your Flickr is nothing short of spectacular, in colour, detailing, and style. Top notch. And that van is lovely!

Thanks! The van is just there to stop the street looking so boring! :laugh: I really wanted to make it in white but felt it wouldn't stand out as much against the building!

A question slightly out of left-field, but how do you deal with dust and such having your buildings displayed on a shelf like that?

Put them higher so the dust doesn't fall on them! :classic: But for pics I just give it a quick brush with an unused makeup brush (Not mine :grin: )

Top job, snaillad.

I also love Art Deco and am currently working on my own build in the Streamline Moderne style.

Your chairs and torchiere lamp on the ground floor are very nice. I'm just getting started on the interior and was thinking about very similar designs for these pieces.

Well done.

:classic: :classic:

That is an awsome building! :thumbup:

Every detail of the facade looks great, and the inside is fantastic.

I love the stripes you made on the walls at the inside.

Top job, snaillad.

I also love Art Deco and am currently working on my own build in the Streamline Moderne style.

Your chairs and torchiere lamp on the ground floor are very nice. I'm just getting started on the interior and was thinking about very similar designs for these pieces.

Well done.

:classic: :classic:

Thanks. I do enjoy building the interior furniture, although it would have been nice to have a few more bricks in dark brown, especially due to the many colours of wood they used at that time. I have made some similar furniture in the other two buildings aswell. Looking forward to see what your build looks like! :classic:

I love Art Deco, the style is "right up my street"! The external colour scheme is simple yet very effective. I like the warm feel of the interior and the floor tiles. I like the 40s style van! :thumbup: