Capn Frank

The Serapis II

thindexedgif.gif 4d

The color scheme and everything else pretty much is well done with the Serapis-II:

ser001.jpg

Picture is link to the Brickshelf folder

I think the blue detailing looks good with the sails. And there isn't too much blue, a good asthetic balance.

This ship is made by matthew1980

The creator might believe that the blue coats are British Naval forces and therefore they are not French LEGO flags. All a matter of perspective really.

Very dynamic and interesting form, while maintaning an official set quality. I especially like the angles of the stern castle. *y*

Yes I agree Mr Ghoulrealm this MOC appears as though it could have been on of the larger LEGO sets in most respects, though perhaps a little too big to fall within reasonable size standards of an official LEGO set. Nonetheless it retains much of the charm of the Caribbean Clipper yet its creator has expanded it to a decent size.

Although I'd make a few more customisations to differentiate between the Serapis II and the Caribbean Clipper. The British flag is a nice touch however I'd probably go as far as creating custom sails. Perhaps the only addition I'd make to the sails is adding the Soldier Coat of Arms to one of the masts in a similar way the Skulls Eye Schooner has a skull and cross bones on one of its sails.

The color scheme and everything else pretty much is well done with the Serapis-II:

ser001.jpg

Picture is link to the Brickshelf folder

I think the blue detailing looks good with the sails. And there isn't too much blue, a good asthetic balance.

This ship is made by matthew1980

**Scratches his head**

?? 8-| :S

How on earth did i post this?? Mr. Phes?

N-E wayz, after further looking, the gun ports seem way too close together. I always try to have at least 4 studs between each gun port. Not 2 like shown on here.

N-E wayz, after further looking, the gun ports seem way too close together. I always try to have at least 4 studs between each gun port. Not 2 like shown on here.

Personally I'm not against having only 2 studs between the gun ports.

If you would like to get a reasonable number of canons on a ship and use the standard Lego hull pieces (which are rather narrow), you have to put the guns closer together.

If you would like to get a reasonable number of canons on a ship and use the standard Lego hull pieces (which are rather narrow), you have to put the guns closer together.

I just prefer it for realism sake, that's all. I like to have room for me pirates between the cannons for reloading. For this ship, it may work having the gun ports this close together if a much smaller cannon was used.

It's still a fine looking ship. I'd just prefer if it had 2 less gun ports.

There was no EU in those days yet. The French and the English were at war indstead...

I think Napoleon wanted a Europian Union but it would have been slightly different than the current EU X-D .

There was no EU in those days yet. The French and the English were at war indstead...

Yea but may I point out that this is a Lego ship made in the 2000s ;)

About the cannons, I too think they are just a bit too close together. Still looks cool though.

I think Napoleon wanted a Europian Union but it would have been slightly different than the current EU X-D .

Yeah.... sliiiiigghhttlly

:-D

Pity the sails aren't just plain white/cream colour :(

**Scratches his head**

We, (Mr Phes and I) decided to split the old topic, called A small Armada, because it was confusing to discuss a ship in that thread (since there were three ships in the folder)... So I did!

I also did that on the Acheron, and I myself think they are very close together. But three studs distance makes it look a lot different and better, so on my next ship(the HMS Unclaimable) I'll try to do that...

I also did that on the Acheron, and I myself think they are very close together. But three studs distance makes it look a lot different and better, so on my next ship(the HMS Unclaimable) I'll try to do that...

Maybe you guys are right. The ship that I'm building has only 2 studs between the guns, now I start thinking of making it 3 studs. But this would mean I have to to add another hull section to keep the same number of guns 8-|

Maybe you guys are right. The ship that I'm building has only 2 studs between the guns, now I start thinking of making it 3 studs. But this would mean I have to to add another hull section to keep the same number of guns 8-|

Not really, I see there are only guns on the mid sections of your ship, but you can also use the space on the bow and stern sections(although stern looks a bit difficult on your ship) I also did that on the Acheron...

I looked at the Excalibur, and I think the 2 studs distance looks just fine on your ship because there are only nine on a side... The reason I don't like 2 studs distance on the Acheron is because there are fifteen on the gun deck on a side...

**Scratches his head**

Just like Mr Tiber explained. We thought the MOC would get a better discussion if it were in a thread of its own so Mr Tiber moved your first post into a thread of its own, so all the details from that post (like its creator) were transferred to the new thread, Phred!

How do you like that?

We, (Mr Phes and I) decided to split the old topic, called A small Armada, because it was confusing to discuss a ship in that thread (since there were three ships in the folder)... So I did!

O-I-C

I was sure it was done by a "higher power"; I didn't think I made a new thread.

I know what you mean. You get really far on your ship, thinking it's all good, then you decide you don't like a certain aspect of the design that requires major rebuilding. That's happened to me 4 times of remaking major portions of me frigate.

Just like Mr Tiber explained. We thought the MOC would get a better discussion if it were in a thread of its own so Mr Tiber moved your first post into a thread of its own, so all the details from that post (like its creator) were transferred to the new thread, Phred!

How do you like that?

That's fine Mr. Phes (I keep on almost typing Mr. Phred :-|| ). :)

I just wanted to make sure i wasn't going crazy (yet). Been really busy now that school's started up again.

Edit:

Well, then I suggest you to start with changing the 2 studs distance to 3 studs this instance! :-D

LOL :-D

I know what you mean. You get really far on your ship, thinking it's all good, then you decide you don't like a certain aspect of the design that requires major rebuilding. That's happened to me 4 times of remaking major portions of me frigate.

I don't really mind having to do a major rebuild of parts of my ship/MOC. As long as the result is better it's worth the effort (and I don't put any time pressure on myself while buiding). But once a MOC is finished, I start on something new and I won't do any more changes.

That's fine Mr. Phes (I keep on almost typing Mr. Phred :-|| ). :)

The similarities are striking! X-D

I just wanted to make sure i wasn't going crazy (yet). Been really busy now that school's started up again.

Skool will do that to you. Skool is something I must face very soon.

I don't really mind having to do a major rebuild of parts of my ship/MOC. As long as the result is better it's worth the effort (and I don't put any time pressure on myself while buiding). But once a MOC is finished, I start on something new and I won't do any more changes.

Well, then I suggest you to start with changing the 2 studs distance to 3 studs this instance! :-D

You guys really raided my Brickshelf didn't ya! Well...again I humbly thank you all for your kind words and interest in my models.

Yes this is the sum total of three carribean clippers plus an extra mid-hull segment. I was going for the Black Seas Baracudda look and build type for it.

I also agree that the cannon placement is hardly realistic, yet it makes it slightly more formidible on this scale. The paradigm to which it was built is from my more youthful days when this ship would have actually "seen action" in mock wars with my Lego building buddies in grade and middle school. Therefore maximum firepower was paramount in the design and construction.

The colours come from the compromises me and my buddies made which is a bit...unorthodox...but each of us chose our own colour scheme based on what we like and which country we represented...

England's ship colours were blue and yellow, the blue soldiers flags represented England, red-coat soldiers were the marines for England. England was represented by my friend Robbie's fleet. Since this is ship is built to that standard, that is why this ship is the colours it is, and also why it carries the British naval flag.

France's ship colours were grey and black. My friend James represented this country although he preferred to be a French Privateer, so his ships carried pirate flags, although I made a French tri-colour for him to fly on his flagship during battle. He later started making Iron Clad ships that's what this reflects, the blue soldiers flag on the ship in that link is not correct, it should have been a pirate flag. James tended to use any pirate minifig for soldiers and sailors, however french marines used one particular pirate torso, the blue one with a v-shape and brown strappings. These make an excellent soldier if you put tricorns on them and give them muskets.

America's ship colours were black and red, the red soldiers flags represented America since it resembled the stripes on the stars and stripes. I likened it to a naval version of the Culpepper Flag used during the American Revolution. However American marines were blue-coat soldiers.

The last friend was Robbie's brother he represented the Confederacy and built very little but mostly used white and green on his ships. He made his own confederate flags for his ships and used random minifigs as soldiers.

Our wars were between America backed by England and the Confederacy backed by French privateers.

This ship has a sad note to it's construction. I built it shortly after my friend Robbie was killed in an automobile accident in high school. It's sort of my personal memorial. However it often goes to IndyLUG shows and is frequently featured on layouts.

Here it is fighting a Red Beard Runner (...and some sort of sea creature I think) in a recent IndyLUG layout.

037.jpg