Flash

Forward Unto Dawn

Since I love Halo, and I love Lego, I thought it was time to try something bold.

As we all know, a competitor of Lego has the rights to the Halo theme. They recently released the PDF for their flagship, the Forward Unto Dawn (97117)

I thought to my self, why not see if I can use that to create it in Lego?

Things are going well so far...

44ji.png

VS the PDF:

ugi2.png

Obviously, not everything converts, but most does. Once i get it all in LDD, then I'll look at the parts list and see about affordable replacements (make sure there are no rare elements and whatnot)

Might have to give this a go :)

If it costs less than $250 then maybe try it. The competitor product is really a top-notch effort. I won a copy in a contest they sponsored and it is really quite an impressive product.

welp, finished it in LDD.

v2ni.pngia1l.png54c4.png

Next steps would be to review the inventory to make sure I didn't use rare parts.

3120 parts for me, I think the MB one has 2917 or so...

Wow, very nice! As a fan of Halo myself, I do often look at the MB Halo sets when I'm in a store, and do find them really nice-looking. I'm impressed how well it converted to LEGO. I might have to try making some myself in LEGO.

Ok, the build was completed last night, I'm going to try and take real pictures tonight.

Also of note, I did make instructions, and built it from them. (353 steps currently).

Big props to those that create instructions, what a huge investment in time. I probably should have started with a smaller model to create instruction with to learn the tools, but oh well.

I built it first in LDD, then MLCAD and used LPub to create the instructions. I'm playing with POVRay now to render some nice images.

Brad

Impressive. I cant wait to see the final version. Are you using the instructions from the megabloks version to build this?

I started out with their instructions (why re-invent the wheel I say), then re-did it with using less parts, and mine doesn't break apart like theirs does.

If I've done it right, you can see the pics I just took here:

http://www.flickr.co...s/11191734@N04/

I couldn't help but add one with the Master Chief and Cortana, comment is something like "You don't belong here, this is our ship now..."

Edited by Flash

This is awesome! Looks like you won't have any 2x2 brackets left after this... :tongue:

Edit: Typing error.

Edited by TwentyLeggedHen

Thread necro, but the MB one is on sale:

http://slickdeals.net/f/6717964-mega-bloks-halo-forward-unto-dawn-97117-toy-r-us-for-161-and-ebay-toys-r-us-free-ship?p=66092238&utm_source=dealalerts&utm_medium=em-i&utm_term=44384&utm_content=u93075&utm_campaign=tu-9999#post66092238

I know it's not Lego, don't shoot me, but it really is an amazing set.

I've bough the MB on, and going to build and display it next to my Lego version, I'll update here when I'm done.