Ogre

Which 'Space' theme should LEGO revive?

235 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the themes you want LEGO to revive!

Folks have been speculating, wishing and hoping with regard to what space-oriented themes they'd like LEGO to revive from the the dust bin, so here you go! Cast your votes and see what your fellow EB posters have to say! Agree, or disagree withe choices? Why, or why not? Make your voices heard! (heck, someone might even be listening! :grin: )

(and for the sake of keeping it simple, ALL versions of Space Police and Blacktron fall under their respective headings)

BTW...I hope y'all don't mind me throwing the poll up. I usually post more in the 'historic' themes but, I noticed a call for a poll while reading this morning, so I thought I'd help y'all out.

Edited by Ogre

I couldnt decide between Classic space,Blacktron,Futuron,Space Police or M:Tron so I voted for them all! These themes were all out when I was a kid so I have many of the sets however a modern revamp of any of them would be awesome (Maybe not SP3 as they aren't long finished) I'd have to say the other space themes on your list have been overlooked by me, I guess as I missed them all they dont really have such a nostalgic feel as the others do?

I couldnt decide between Classic space,Blacktron,Futuron,Space Police or M:Tron so I voted for them all! These themes were all out when I was a kid so I have many of the sets however a modern revamp of any of them would be awesome (Maybe not SP3 as they aren't long finished) I'd have to say the other space themes on your list have been overlooked by me, I guess as I missed them all they dont really have such a nostalgic feel as the others do?

My votes were quite similar, since I have a very nostalgic place in my heart for Classic Space, Blacktron and M-Tron. I had some of the space police sets but wasn't too fond of the blue/red colour scheme and I don't think I had many of the Futuron sets, if ANY. :classic:

Same here except no Futuron or Space Police, and I had Ice Planet. Nothing against Futuron, but I just don't like it as much as the other ones. And Space Police just ended the newest version of that, so I think it's too soon (and I didn't like SPIII as much, because the cops were being racist)

For me it's Futuron (the first space sets I ever had), Blacktron (specially their second incarnation, with their spherical cockpits), Space Police II (much better than the 3rd incarnation and a notch up from the 1st), Ice Planet 2002 and M:Tron (Helloooo? Mega Core Magnetizer, AKA THE MOST WANTED SET EVAR????).

On a side note, I'd also like to see the old "angular" aesthetic come back, with the old octogonal and front windshields come back (obviously converted to the new style hinge).

So yay early 90's space!

Scorpion

Futuron and M;Tron and I'd be in heaven.

I got my first Futuron set a while back and loved it, especially the minifigs! :wub:

M:Tron: I've never owned any sets but those minifigs have a very nice color scheme. They look very crisp as well.

UFO, Unitron, and Ice Planet I'd like to see, but it doesn't really matter that much.

I'd also like to see the return of Blacktron, but that's probably unlikely.

I do not want to see Classic space return. Why? The old sets were so good, they don't need replacing. It'd be like what Lucas is doing with Star Wars. They're timeless and don't need replacing.

I voted for:

Classic Space - Some of the first toys I had as a kid. Would love to see this series revived, not redone. Love the whole exploration aspect of this series.

Futuron - Never had any of these sets, but boy do I wish that I had. Love the designs and colors.

Insectiods - Aliens. If you have a space series it makes sense to have a series for some alien interaction. Modern improvements in this line would be great.

I wanted to vote for Blacktron, I definitely want to see it return, but I think that if they were to revive Classic Space and have it evolve into Futuron, Blacktron would be sure to follow.

S P A C E ! !

while i would love to see the classic-space logo come back, i don't think they should copy hollywood and rehash anything from the past. I actually like the idea of the space sets in the city line and feel they could expand on that, otherwise continue their forward momentum and come up with a completely new space line.

When I was a kid, I started with the first Classic Space Sets of the 80s. I like and had a lot of the 80s and 90s space sets, but in my opinion there were only two lines that were the coolest of them all. Space Police II and Blacktron I. I liked the color combinations of those lines and esspecially the mini figures. I've always liked the bad guys more than the good guys, doesn't matter if it was the 80s star wars, masters of the universe or Lego lines. Black with a little yellow is simply a damn cool looking color combination. And the Blacktron minifigures are some of the coolest, if not the coolest minifigures Lego has ever done. My wish for the future is simple. Please Lego, bring Blacktron back.

Blacktron all the way, black vehicles....you gotta love black sometimes eh ?

A remake of this.....6887-1.jpg.....that would be AWESOME !

Brick On.....in space ! :wink:

Honestly? None. LEGO set design has changed so much since these themes were out. I'm not sure if TLG could do these themes justice and capture the style of them in a way that would appeal to the current generation of the target audience.

But I voted Futuron, because of the monorails.

None as well. If they ever revive a theme such as M-Tron, it will lose the classic and nostalgic feeling it had, I think. :sceptic:

Yahoo!!!!! Thanks for this poll!! :grin: I'm glad you answered the need for it. :tongue:

Edit: WOW, look at BLACKTRON :grin:

My votes were:

Blacktron: No explanation needed here... SPIII got a decent revival and Blacktron didn't. What if this time the Blacktron guys really looked mean and evil? Like col03-6.jpg?0

Space Police: Who's gonna put the Blacktron guys in Space Lock-up capsules? :sweet:

Classic Space: OK, so a classic is a classic... But I think it would be nice to see some neo-classic space official from Lego. New sets. I wouldn't say remake the old sets, but make a new line inspired by classic space. Just some sort of homage.

As for the sets of the nineties, even though I'm a big fan of UFO, Exploriens, and Ice Planet, I don't think that this is the time to remake them. I think that we all feel more nostalgia for the older themes.

Edited by johnnyvgoode

Personally, I'm not a fan of many of the older space themes, probably because I didn't grow up with them.

I'd most like to see a new space theme that was both a combination of Life on Mars and Mars Mission, as both themes had great potential but fizzled out in my opinion. Having both peaceful and hostile aliens would be nice, the transforming alien robots of Life on Mars were amazing and the human vehicles from the first wave of Mars Mission were equally amazing. Most importantly though, I feel a alien figure as pose-able as a normal minifigure (ie both arms, hands, and legs move, as well as a head that can turn side-to-side) would be essential.

Insectoids would also make for a great revival because it was so different from everything else, they actually felt alien bug machines and awesome (plus all the trans yellow green was wonderful).

I also voted for M:Tron, as I inherited a few passed down sets from the theme when I was younger, and had endless fun with the magnets and various roleplaying scenarios I could come up with. My fear is that if Lego brought it back, they'd replace the magnets with some other (probably flick-missile based) gimmick, which would be a no-go for me. To me, M:Tron was so awesome solely because of the magnets (and the big cockpit crane thingy I had).

I think we need more classic Space, Blacktron, and Space Police. The other themes don't really do it for me, so these three are my only real wants.

Difficult choice, but I voted for Ice Planet 2002 and M-Tron, two of my favorite Space themes that LEGO hasn't really looked at since their original release. An updated Ice Planet, especially, could be beyond awesome. :thumbup:

I went with M-Tron the 2nd and 3rd are Blacktron and Ice Planet 2002.

Since M-Tron was a mineing theme a huge mineing base wold be great with ground and space vehicles like 6989 and 6956. Though I think the S3 Cyborg hints at Blacktron 3 at some point. I think LEGO should revive a space theme with all the subthemes in it.

Edited by LEGOMAN132

Well, I can't be nostalgic about any of these themes, because I'm not an old geezer. :tongue: Joking.

That being said I voted Blacktron. The black/neon green looks so awesome even now and I think LEGO could do some of the old sets justice with remakes.

Edited by Skipper

An Ice planet 2002 revival would be epic.

I have personally been reviving them myself. I kept the awesome blue/white/black/trans-neon orange color scheme, but created a military wing of the IP:2002 theme

Based subtly on insects/reptiles, I've created some epic crafts. I went a bit heavier on the black, simply because from the parts I have in my ever growing inventory I could achieve more by making blue the tertiary color.

And what theme would be complete without a rival. I went with a black/white/trans dark blue scheme and have created a worthy rival. Closely related to the explorien theme, without the trans-neon green accoutrements. Though I could add them. Such epic sets.

So many possibilities with older sets that didn't get fleshed out enough (unitron/spyrius) have much more untapped potential.

Bring back simple color schemes LEGO!

Enough with the horrid lime greens and purples and garish orange.

KISS (keep it simple stupid)

I do not want to see Classic space return. Why? The old sets were so good, they don't need replacing. It'd be like what Lucas is doing with Star Wars. They're timeless and don't need replacing.

I'd like to see them re-issued, like the old 'Legends' line. Sure, they'd probably have to have the newer 'motorcycle helmet' style of head gear but, I can live with that.

I've always liked the bad guys more than the good guys, doesn't matter if it was the 80s star wars, masters of the universe or Lego lines. Black with a little yellow is simply a damn cool looking color combination.

Absolutely agree!

It's like you hear a lot of actors say: the bad guys are more fun to play, because they tend to be so much more complex characters. The 'good guys' tend to be a wee bit boring. LOL And I agree...black with some yellow is a STONKIN' colour scheme, especially if you want to give that 'hint of danger'. Must be why Mama Nature uses it, huh? :wink:

M:Tron: I've never owned any sets but those minifigs have a very nice color scheme. They look very crisp as well.

I only had the two smallest M-Tron sets but, I REALLY liked them and thought their colour scheme was very cool. The colours, paired with that graphic logo, really worked well.

Yahoo!!!!! Thanks for this poll!! :grin: I'm glad you answered the need for it. :tongue:

You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help. :classic:

I voted Space Police, Blacktron, and Spyrius. Space Police, of course, because it's a classic theme and because Blacktron is nothing without the Space Police as protagonists. Blacktron because it is also classic and TLG clearly has a special place in their hearts for this theme. Spyrius just because I love the way it's a semi-hardcore twist on the flying saucers and giant robots that no B-movie space villains should be without. But as with Blacktron, such a theme would not be good unless a "good guy" faction were included.

I definitely don't think M-Tron could ever really be revived. It was a very gimmick-based theme, the gimmick in question being the use of magnets. And while magnets haven't been seen much in recent sets, it still wouldn't feel at all fresh or new from my perspective. Furthermore, a civilian-based Space theme with unclear purpose doesn't lend itself to too many role-play opportunities (some things I've seen suggest the M-Trons are a mining company, other things suggest that they're a rescue organization, and all that sources seem to agree on is that they have advanced magnet technology).

Perhaps M-Tron civilians could be included in a Space Police/Blacktron set as characters for the bad guys to terrorize-- I have no idea (frankly, Classic-Space-inspired figs might be better for this purpose). But in any event, M-Tron doesn't seem to have what it takes to be a self-sustaining theme, particularly now that we've moved beyond single-faction themes entirely.

So that's my perspective. Any new sci-fi theme, whether a revival or not, would be best with both "good guys" and "bad guys". Civilian factions might be able to be included, but I doubt they could support a theme on their own since they don't tend to excite the imagination as much as "good vs. evil" conflict.

*snip*

Perhaps M-Tron civilians could be included in a Space Police/Blacktron set as characters for the bad guys to terrorize-- I have no idea (frankly, Classic-Space-inspired figs might be better for this purpose). *snip*

So that's my perspective. Any new sci-fi theme, whether a revival or not, would be best with both "good guys" and "bad guys". Civilian factions might be able to be included, but I doubt they could support a theme on their own since they don't tend to excite the imagination as much as "good vs. evil" conflict.

Just a thought: I'd love to see a revival of the old 'mixed lot' troop builder packs from the past, which would allow us to add to various factions without the need for a whole 'theme' devoted to them. THAT WAY, if (to use your example) SP and Blacktron were brought back to 'duke it out in the outer limits', we could toss in a bunch of 'innocent bystanders', other 'space worker' types, etc., etc. Slap five or six figs in a box, mix-up the colour combos and paint some retro graphics on their guts and I would be one seriously happy spaceman. :grin:

Just a thought: I'd love to see a revival of the old 'mixed lot' troop builder packs from the past, which would allow us to add to various factions without the need for a whole 'theme' devoted to them. THAT WAY, if (to use your example) SP and Blacktron were brought back to 'duke it out in the outer limits', we could toss in a bunch of 'innocent bystanders', other 'space worker' types, etc., etc. Slap five or six figs in a box, mix-up the colour combos and paint some retro graphics on their guts and I would be one seriously happy spaceman. :grin:

Well, considering that recent battle packs (including the rumored 2012 Star Wars battle packs) include two factions each, we might be headed in that direction again. The Alien Conquest battle pack even includes a civilian, making it the closest we've come to a three-or-more-faction battle pack in years.

Of course, in the case of the old troop builder packs, there was a significant difference in that the characters were often drawn from themes spanning multiple years. Since we no longer have single-faction themes today, that might not be as necessary. You'd be able to include both good guys and bad guys from the current year. But at the same time, the "troop builders" also never had unique minifigures, so I doubt we'd see space civilian factions introduced just to be included in those sets-- they'd have to appear in other sets as well. Or in the very least, their parts would need to appear elsewhere in that year.