An interesting set of slides on the topic of automatically optimising LEGO model strength:

http://www.slideshar...graph-asia-2015

This sort of stability checking should be built into a LEGO CAD tool. :sweet:

As someone who has tried to build a large sculpture on LDD, this seems useful... but unfortunately I can barely understand any of it beyond the rough concept. :sceptic:

If that's what they are teaching in graduate school these days.... Back in my day, we called this "mastering the obvious". Stacking bricks for stability is a well known art in any number of trades. However, I am mildly impressed by the statistics and work involved in programming to determine stresses on brick-built structures (the definition of the stresses on each brick is ME 101, though). I suppose a practical application would be in construction and the engineering of complex architectural designs.

Edited by JGW3000

If that's what they are teaching in graduate school these days.... Back in my day, we called this "mastering the obvious". Stacking bricks for stability is a well known art in any number of trades. However, I am mildly impressed by the statistics and work involved in programming to determine stresses on brick-built structures (the definition of the stresses on each brick is ME 101, though). I suppose a practical application would be in construction and the engineering of complex architectural designs.

Hey, why use your brain, when a computer can do it for you, Maximum strength for minimum amount of bricks. Sounds promising.

It would be great if it can take into account of what bricks you have in your collection and optimize based on that so you can minimize costs too.

I think there are professional software to do those kind of stress calculations. The licence fees are prohibitively expensive for the hobbyist. But it is nice to see complex software trickling down. There are now circuit design software under GPL licenses.

Yes, but as much as 'complex software will trickle down' good luck getting it to LDD. Nothing seems to be ever getting there. :angry::cry_sad: