gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hovercraft Hideout

Set #: 7045

Theme: World City - Police & Rescue

Year Released: 2004

Piece Count: 268

Minifigs: 2

List Price: $30 (USD)

Resting in the quiet area of the harbor on the other side of the tracks, is a small hideout known as Dock 13, but unknown to World City police. There, lots of crooked deals go down as stolen items are bartered in exchange for stolen loot and other World City treasures. One of the more popular crooks in World City, a man they call Captain Nemo, has made this place his hideout with his slow dim-witted thug, Bennie. They've managed to steal a police hovercraft that they've repainted with custom detailing. What's next on their agenda to steal? Gems, Money, Lego? You decide, in this review of 7045 Hovercraft Hideout.

7045 Hovercraft Hideout is one of my most favorite sets of the World City Collection (not including the train sets). It includes a Hovercraft, Hideout, Jet Ski, and two Minifigs.

Action packed boxart starts the review:

01box.jpg Front of Box

02box2.jpg Back of Box

Some images of the instructions:

03inst1.jpg Front

04inst2.jpg Alternate Models

A neat feature of these instructions is a collection of images of other World City sets with artwork that looks like a newspaper:

05inst3.jpg

The set includes just a few decals:

06decals.jpg

I love the minifigs. I think the Captain looks like James Mason's character of Captain Nemo from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea:

07figs.jpg

Three gems and two $100 bills are included as accessories:

08access.jpg

Here's a shot of the jet ski:

09jetski.jpg

And the hovercraft:

10hc1.jpg

The front section has a smoked grey windshield piece that lifts open:

11hc2.jpg

Where Captain Nemo pilots the vessel:

12hc3.jpg

Side view:

13hc4.jpg

Both sides have a small box to hide stolen money and gems:

14hc5.jpg

Here's a shot of the back:

15hc6.jpg

The neat feature of the hovercraft is that the jet ski can be placed in the middle section. This causes the rubberband to tighten. When the grey piece is pushed, the jet ski pops out of the rear section:

16hc7.jpg

The two engines are connected by a single black rod. Moving one causes the other to move:

17hc7.jpg

Here's the bottom section. It has three wheels with the front wheel being able to turn 360 degress. This makes pushing it fun:

18bot.jpg

My favorite part of this set is the hideout:

19ho1.jpg

Check out the front side. The train door slides to the right. The little rat and fuel tank adds some nice detail to the set:

20front.jpg

But the neat part is placing the jet ski inside:

21right.jpg

Just like the hovercraft, pushing it in causes the rubberband to stretch, and the chimney piece lifts up. Pushing the chimney causes the jet ski to fly out!

22back.jpg

Here's ashot of the other side:

23left.jpg

And lastly, the complete set:

24set.jpg

Final Thoughts:

Hovercraft Hideout was one of those sets that could easily be found on sale after the stores could not sell them for full price. I think I picked mine up for either $15 or $20 (USD). I've used this little hideout in a number of cities and it always makes a great place to hide the stolen loot. Here's a shot of it as part of the set for Mystery Ship:

dock13.jpg

I also like to combine this set with 4856 Doc Ock's Hideout as part of pier or harbor scenes. I love the two figs, esp. Captain Nemo. Overall, the set is packed with lots of fun and the hideout makes a great addition to any city or town.

I hope you've enjoyed this review. Comments welcome.

Excellent review. :thumbup:

I bought this set in '06, I think, and haven't regretted it. I personally think it's one of the better sets, when I factor in play, design, combinations (with other themes) etc. The two crooks in this set are also unique to this set as well, breaking up the fairly common gold-toothed prison-garb figure.

I'm also crossing my fingers that we'll see something similarily themed for '10 - I suggested sets of this type when the City-team asked for suggestions.

it was released during my dark age, and now I regret my dark age^^ it seems that it was a really good set, and you did a great review of it ! :thumbup:

it was released during my dark age, and now I regret my dark age^^ it seems that it was a really good set, and you did a great review of it ! :thumbup:

All of World City was good, you should check them out on bricklink there much more worth it then the currect city sets.

I think this set has two things going for it:

1) The little building is very cool, and looks great with the sliding door.

2) The sheer novelty of a set devoted to shady characters doing suspicious things. Are they thieves? Smuggers? Something bad, no doubt. Since TLC overwhelms us with endless police set after police set, it's really nice to see the bad guys get a set. Those policemen need someone to chase, after all.

Unfortunately, the hovercraft is pretty absurd. A hovercraft?!?!? Really?!?! Why not a sleek black speedboat?

2) The sheer novelty of a set devoted to shady characters doing suspicious things. Are they thieves? Smuggers? Something bad, no doubt. Since TLC overwhelms us with endless police set after police set, it's really nice to see the bad guys get a set. Those policemen need someone to chase, after all.

I also think people who brag about their eco-friendly cars are bad :tongue: . I agree though, the set gets as close as it can to a crime theme, but draws itself a bit away with the hovercraft. Almost like they're baddies in an agents set or something.

I bought that set 4 years ago, and rebuilt it some weeks ago, but it has something very strange:

- 1 day after I rebuilt it it was filled with dust while permanent exhibits of mine were clean :wacko:

As for the set:

The first Hovercraft Lego has done with a nice design that was sort of reused withe fire-hovercraft.

Great review!

I like this set because it comes with 2 exclusive faces, sea related ships (love boats!!! :cry_happy: ) and a cool shack. I don't know why it didn't sell well. :sadnew:

I voted poor. The review is great :thumbup: . But the set itself........... It's too simple build and not very exciting in my opnion. Thiefs rather use very fast boats and not a turtle going hovercraft.

I liked the little building much, with the old window and railsdoor(don't know the good word for it).

The figs are also nice. The head of the captain is great and I find it strange I never has seen this face in an other set. (the grumpy policeman from world city is used in many sets and still available).

The hovercraft looks not that bad, but it had something which made the sets of town/city earlier not good: Big pieces, with not much use for something else.

I have almost all the none train World City sets, if not all of them besides this set, I loved them, however this one just is blah.

I do like the minifigures through, the faces are neat and different and I like the design of the shirt on the set.